Author Topic: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?  (Read 9959 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: What BOOK have you read more than five times ..?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 10:20:34 pm »
I prefer to wait until it comes out in the movies.

Don’t seem to have enough attention span to get through a book, too many distractions and I lose interest.
I have enjoyed reading through once…
Monkey butt (pissed myself throughout)
Total Training for Motocross
Jeremy McGrath’s biography
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 10:29:55 pm »
Thats a hard one.Especially if one is illiterate. Does Playboys Aanna Nicol Smith pictural count?

Evil Rudy

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »
Sun Tzu's Art of War

I keep a copy on my phone, lap top, iphone, crackberry and a printed one in the car.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 09:02:28 am »
"Chickenhawk" hey, Luke.   Right up there ... an awesome read!
LOAN OUTS
Alas, I do it so often.   Love a book so much that I lend it ... and it never comes back.   Worst
part is, I can NEVER remember who I lend 'em to ...
Chickenhawk is an excellent read - hence I have read it multiple times over the years!
For those who don't know, Robert Mason was a Chopper pilot in Vietnam. He felt he was both a chicken and a hawk.

Lend books? I have lent out squillions. It is great to go visit a mate you haven't seen in years and... now THAT looks like a good read and ...  yeah, my name is on the flyleaf :-)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 09:06:12 am »
Sheesh Luke, you're not particle accelerator engineer are you  ::)
The more you read about physics, the more fascinating it becomes. I wish I had the maths brain to go deep. Dark Sun is different to Making of. Do not expect the same kind of book. Teller has a lot to answer for!

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 09:13:46 am »
Sun Tzu's Art of War

I keep a copy on my phone, lap top, iphone, crackberry and a printed one in the car.
Don't overlook Tukhachevsky's work on Deep Battle theory. I'd love to get a copy of "The Russian Way of War: Operational Art 1904–1940"

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:08 am »
doggy digger
Mine are the Nino Culotta trilogy.
"They're a Weird Mob"   (About 15 times)

"Cop This Lot"               (About six times)

"Gone Fishin' "              (About 8 times
john o'grady or nino culotta lived a few doors down in oatley where i grew up. he was a great bloke once you got to known him.used to fish off his wharf as a kid would always say hello as i walked past his house and down to the river.never read his books though.
jim

firko

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 10:13:39 am »
The more you read about physics, the more fascinating it becomes. I wish I had the maths brain to go deep. Dark Sun is different to Making of. Do not expect the same kind of book. Teller has a lot to answer for!
I've never seen beauty in numbers. To me numbers on a page are just boring old numbers on a page. However, I see the written word as a beautiful and infinitely creative thing, capable of evoking all kinds of emotion. I've had some deep discussions on this subject with a couple of mates, one an architect, the other a successful businessman and both are as enraptured in numbers as I am with words. It's ironic that neither of them have any interest or the patience to read a novel or anything that's not technical in nature.
 I guess there are numbers people and there are word people and 'rarely the twain shall meet'. 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 11:43:42 am by firko »

211kawasaki

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 10:24:03 am »
I concur or the Chickenhawk book, a really good read

For me the Dam Buster book is also not much thought of but if your into tech developements of WW2 it has a lot on Barnes Wallis - now there's is a guy with a brain the size of the universe!

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 11:20:21 am »
the trilogy of 4 books from "The Hitchikers guide to the Galaxy" maybe, that is why, I'm so warped ::)

Cheers Trev or am I Worms today ???

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 11:28:16 am »
Luke I too have read a lot of general books on matters physics and cosmology, and really do appreciate the use of mathematics to understand the concepts. As a kid I hated maths but I did not 'get' its use as a symbolic tool for expressing concepts that words cannot. Sadly I am far too dim to be able to change that - I am much more comfortable with words and images. But I do at least now understand what maths is for!   :)

Nowadays, and this is straying off topic, the vast majority of my reading is either anything dirtbike related, or following several major blogs that address the global warming thing. I'm an avowed skeptic but I have found it intensely interesting learning more about the actual science on both sides of the argument. I hardly ever read a book now, yet as a kid I was an absolutely voracious reader of sci-fi, fantasy and adventure novels.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 12:49:09 pm »
Jimg1au ... personal message sent

Dambusters!

Hands up who DID NOT have (or know someone who had) that old classic Airfix model of the Lancaster!

I used a hot pin to melt bullet holes in mine.   Very sexy bomber
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:51:12 pm by Doggy Digger »

firko

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 01:26:06 pm »
I've read that Dambusters book a couple of times and would like to read it again. I loved the movie as well...That pencil thin mustachioed stiff upper lip "Let's bomb the bejesus out of those Jerries chaps" stuff gets me every time 8).
I've just started reading Peter Fitzsimons book..'Tobruk' which looks as if it'll be equally as good as his 'Kokoda'.
I've never been a big reader of books on millitary history but every now and then one grabs me. The Kokoda book was a real eye opener as to what really happened up there. As big a tosser as Fitzy comes accross on the telly, he can surely write. Besides his WW2 stuff I also enjoyed his biographies of Paul Keating, Les Darcy and John Eales.

TooFastTim

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 01:58:21 pm »
The more you read about physics, the more fascinating it becomes. I wish I had the maths brain to go deep.

Recently I read "The black hole wars" by Leonard Suskind. He puts the whole argument about the permenance of data quite simply. As an aside, remember Yrjo Vesterinen? Three time world trials champ? His son (also a trials rider of some note) is working on the D zero project at Fermilab.

Oh, BTW, I am a particle accelerator engineer.... ;D (really)

Teller has a lot to answer for!

Teller was strange bugger. Driven by fear and loathing of communism. As a refugee Hungarian, like Szilard, Von Neuman and others, his was fearful for good reason.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 03:12:17 pm »
Oh, BTW, I am a particle accelerator engineer....  (really)

Me to! my partical has wheels ;D
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT