Author Topic: What's it worth  (Read 3716 times)

maicoman

What's it worth
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »
Thinking of selling my entire collection of bikes, 14 in total in various stages of repair. I know I could get more for them individually but some are in pieces and need putting back together. Just curious what people think.
Here's what's on offer:
82 IT465J US model excellent original condition
81 IT 465 H currently under rebuild
80 PE 400 T currently under rebuild (comes with $2k worth of Nos parts)
83 KX 500 needs full resto 95% complete
80 KX125 needs full resto 95% complete
83 KDX 250B big end blown needs resto or ride
82 Husky XC250 nice condition
84 IT200 parts or resto.
3 X IT175J currently under resto, comes with full set of Nos plastics
2 X 84 Maico SC500's one roller, the other complete needs resto or ride, needs crankshaft seals & rebore
84 Maico SC basket case
85 Maico M-Star basket case
I think that's all and tonnes of parts to go with the lot. I'm thinking somewhere about $15-20K for the lot???????
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:06:34 pm by Brooksie »

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: What's it worth
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 02:39:02 pm »
in my opinion you will never sell them as a whole package mate.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »
I agree. As a package deal, you'll have to find someone with the same taste in bikes AND the cash. Or make them cheap enough that someone will say 'ah, why not'. And that price will probably be even lower than you think.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:14:48 pm »
I agree, as a 'job lot' you would get 50% of what you would get for individual sales for the simple reason that the person buying would probably be intending to do just that - to buy and sell at a profit.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »
YEp sorry to say it but there all over the place so to find one gy out there with coin and the same taster in so many makes would be hard.

A pile of bits and a frame sometimes goes for the same price as togehter and in weird cases even more as a "resto"

you'd be surprised if you take a fot of bike and bits how easy it will sell, without the effort of having to rebuild them.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »
As much as it might go against your grain to do so, selling the lot off piecemeal on Ebay like a DIY online wrecker would be the only way I could see you getting the sort of coin you are suggesting.

You mention a PE400 with $2k worth of NOS bits, at a guess you might sell the lot of the PE stuff as a job lot like some guy recently did with his YZ250F (79). I think his add read something to the effect of "buy my NOS parts for $2500.00 and I will throw in the bike free".

Best Bet would be to advertise lots individually for what you have invested in each and let the market decide if you hang onto them or if you have an increase on your return. ???
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 04:29:00 pm »
And what's wrong with selling only a couple and using the money to finish some of them ::) ::) ::) ::)

;DAdam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »
Yeah sell me the $2k of nos parts for the pe400. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

maicoman

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59:06 pm »
And what's wrong with selling only a couple and using the money to finish some of them ::) ::) ::) ::)

;DAdam

Nah I would rather sell them as is, really not interested on working on anymore bikes at the moment.....all biked out :P

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:35:42 pm »
probably more show of selling as Brand lots   maico - yam - suzy etc
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:23:36 pm »
Brooksie  All items are worth what you get for them, when you can find "someone wanting them and willing to pay for" said items. Crikey your got a real fine bag of goodies up there! Impossible to put an all encompassing price really.

I found a great way to move on a lot of bikes and parts that I have tired of or are "all biked out" with. I     gave them away        to other people that still had/have the fire for them in their bellies   . Yep more fool me as I am always broke....but I am quite happy about it :)  PS I do have a few "Keepers/ never going to sell this one" that are just that . Tim754
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:33:26 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

TM BILL

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:37:35 pm »
In the current market it will never happen  ;)

Why not start a thread for expressions of interest as a number of guys will probably be interested in some if not all of what you have.
I can see where your coming from wanting rid of the lot at once but i dont think anybody would part with 15k.

For an indivdual to buy the lot unless their local to you they have a huge logistics (read transport) issue.

Best you could hope for is pledges from people to buy certain items at an agreed price (your total target being 15 -20k )
no deal is finalised until your target is met .

Interested parties make you an offer for what ever , you can accept , decline or negotiate a better price or throw in more items for the same price . When a  price is agreed buyer pays you a deposit of $50.00 $100.00 or 5 % of price , this is non refundable if buyer renegs on deal but refundable if you dont reach total target .

Obviously a time frame would have to be set (maybe 3 months ) you dont limit the deal to forum members but its a good advertising tool (would be the decent thing to do to donate a % to Graeme for use of the forum).

What this system does is frees you up to accept possibly less for individual bikes items than you believe they are worth as you are only trying to raise a predetermined target.

You dont have to go public with what each item is selling or has sold for or even disclose your target.
This is a rough draft of an idea  that may or may not work , Its a trust and risk Scheme and will invole a bit of work on your part. Frosty has already indicated he could be keen on the NOS PE stuff so sign him up and take a deposit , your 2k towards your target and 3 months to go.

You have a good selection for sale there , key is dont be greedy and if after 3 months you have not reached your target then return the deposits or if your happy at that point honour the deals and ebay the rest at no reserve.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 07:44:24 pm by TM BILL »

oldfart

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »
Good sound advice Bill.

ted

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »
Keep the KX 500....sell the rest, item by item. Might take a while to offload it but as money comes in just spend it on the 500. This way it will not be a matter of cost and give you longer to restore it, therefore alleviating you of the burden of being all biked out.

Who knows you may even end up with a nice shiny KX and then i can take the piss out of you for spending way too much money on it...hehe

Good Luck

maicoman

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 09:16:55 pm »
Cheers Ted, can't wait for piss taking to start. Thanks guys for your support and great ideas. I guess when you spend as much time as I do...nearly every night working on bikes it gets a bit boring. This was the reason I gave up mechanics, same old same old.
   Just feeling a bit lost at the moment, another B'Day looming at the end of this month and funny enough still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Dam! I still feel like I'm 18 sometimes.....wish I was.
  Really I was thinking of clearing out everything and starting fresh....but what to do. I still have my Vette that I can sell, "even if it does get the chicks wet" and put the money into the bikes. Perhaps I should just stay away from the bikes for a few months and re-evaluate. ???
  Nothing definate at the moment just looking at the big picture.