Author Topic: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica  (Read 26091 times)

firko

1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica
« on: March 04, 2011, 05:02:46 pm »
Replica of what ???? The owners been flogging this bike around various forums and sites for a couple of years. He recently had it up for sale for around 7k from memory but now it seems he only wants to swap it for a post vintage Maico or Husky. Whatever the deal, I reckon he's a bit delusional as to what it actually is. What it isn't is a Works Replica anything. What it is is a nicely prepped TM250. There's nothing especially trick or 'works' about it. My own TM400 would run rings around it for trick.
I also have serious doubts to his claim of the bike coming "a hair over 190lbs''. My much tricker, custom Chro-Mo framed TM400 comes in at around 190lbs so I'd love to know how he did it with a stock frame?
This type of oversell annoys me no end. It harks back to Maico Moe's "Wheelsmith Works Maicos" of two or three years ago. The bike is a tastfully well built TM250 that's worth 3k tops. There's no unobtainium, RH parts or anything remotely trick in the bike. It's just a nice TM250 and nothing more.

TRADE ONLY
Ad # 3169052   March 3, 2011
Looking to trade for like condition post vintage Maico or Husqvarna.
1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica, This bike started out as a just for fun project that got crazy. I stripped the bike down to the frame and sent it and the swing arm out to the powder coat shop. Then had a friend and many, many year Suzuki Tech go through the motor. He removed the oil injection system and drilled the proper weep hole in the case to lubricate the left main bearing. All seals and bearings were changed for new. The cylinder was then bored to 1st over and a new Wiseco piston and rings were installed. The cylinder was mildly ported as well. I custom built a plastic seat pan and we used a 1977 RM125 new seat foam and cover on it. New great looking plastic ( injected molded ) were installed and look great. New chain and sprockets as well as a new 34mm carb were added as well. I didn’t care for the stock and heavy steel tank and started searching for something that would save weight and look incredible.. I found a like new 1976 Yamaha YZ125 tank on eBay and of course paid all the $$ for it. I sent the tank to Brian @ MX Restorations in New York and he worked his magic on the aluminum tank. Steering head bearings were replaced with All Balls Tapered and sealed bearings as well as new All Balls Wheel bearings. I laced up a new set of NOS Vintage Gold Excel Rims and new spokes also. New tires are front and rear. Renthal Vintage Bend Handlebars with a new Whirlpool Throttle as well as lever assemblies and a modern kill button finished off the controls. We looked at different pipes for the bike and decided on Jemco out of Houston as they build a great lightweight replacement that helps open the old girl up. The forks are rebuilt with new springs and the shocks are new Progressives. I also hand polished the fork lowers and the triple clamps. All cables are new and I also replaced most steel parts with aluminum RM’s from later bikes. Also new brake shoes are front and rear. I have broken her in and rode it around my subdivision. Starts easy and runs great.. She tops the scales at only a hair over 190lbs. This bike is ready to race or show. I have tons of time and lots of money invested and it was worth every cent.
       Rusty Stern
Tampa, FL
Email
Registered Since 2/7/2009 | 47 Posts   

« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:04:31 pm by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: 1974 Suzuki TM250 Works Replica
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
He put a YZ C tank on a TM?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 05:41:59 pm »
Needs to hook up with these fellows and he may find what he's looking for  :)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6730.75
Open your cheque book and say aaaaaaarrrrrhhhhhgggggggg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Service-Honda-CR-500-CR500-CR500AF-CRF-450-CRF450-250-/130490360296?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e61d4e1e8
Best is in the West !!

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 06:18:48 pm »
It looks like my old TM 250 that l got off Ray Sullivan in QLD, l sold it to a fellow in Tasmania a couple of yours ago. It is a 75 model TM with a RH airbox, and that was replicated Its got  the same pipe on it when l had it. it may be the same bike (not sure.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:35:24 pm by Team Jawa »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
I think it is fantastic and easily worth $7000 USD.  ;) More power to him I reckon it is cheap at twice the price.
formerly Marc.com

TM BILL

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:00 pm »
So what are you saying Firko  :D dont hold back , tell us how you feel  ;D

C'mon Marc lets have pic of yours  ;D i personally dont like gold rims on pre 75 bikes

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:01:20 pm »

Needs to hook up with these fellows and he may find what he's looking for ;)

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=6730.75
Open your cheque book and say aaaaaaarrrrrhhhhhgggggggg

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Service-Honda-CR-500-CR500-CR500AF-CRF-450-CRF450-250-/130490360296?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item1e61d4e1e8

500cc "Service' Honda WTF that  ??? I notice the same whatevers are selling spaghetti trees too.................................. ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:04:46 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »
std forks, cheap aircraft mikuni not magnesium. Tidy bike,probably is one of Daves keepers
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

firko

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
I think it is fantastic and easily worth $7000 USD.   More power to him I reckon it is cheap at twice the price.
Please tell me you're taking the piss Marc ::).
So what are you saying Firko   dont hold back , tell us how you feel 
Well OK Bill....I hate this growing trend for the building of "replica" works bikes that have nothing to do with the real thing. I wouldn't have minded the bloke selling his TM250 for 10k as long as he described it as a fuc*ing TM250 and not a Works Replica. It's the same for those blokes who've tried to get CR450 powered RZ Honda twin shocks through as RC450 Brad Lackey Replicas when there's not a single part the same as the ridgey didge RC works bike. Just because a bikes yellow, has the right stripe and looks kinda right from 100 metres doesn't give it the brownie points to even have works in the title. Maico Moe used to laden his bikes down with replica Wheelsmith gizmos, throw a couple of stickers on the tank, call 'em Wheelsmith Works Bikes and ask 10 K for a 5k bike. Jeez :P
 For a real works bike see http://www.mxworksbike.com/

TooFastTim

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 10:04:00 pm »
I wonder if the shocks are held on by pins and circlips like Joels RH72? I can look at the pics of Joels bike for hours. It's just so elegant.

Nice looking bike (not sure about the tank) but caveat emptor.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 10:12:44 pm »
I am with you Mark, it just bull shit.  it`s well done and restored, Tm`s done sell all that well anyway, $4,500 tops, its still a very nice bike. if it was over here l would think about buy it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:31:33 pm by Team Jawa »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »
If he really is fair dinkum, I think you'll find there's a little shortarse bloke beside him in a white suit, crying, " The plane, the plane..."   ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:18:38 am »
It's the same for those blokes who've tried to get CR450 powered RZ Honda twin shocks through as RC450 Brad Lackey Replicas when there's not a single part the same as the ridgey didge RC works bike.
To true I blame that bastard from Bendigo who is always heaping shit on HL500s.

So lets clarify Firko, if you have a ridgy didge works part are you then entitled to call it a works replica  ;)
I mean lets face it ole Rusty is over selling but it is still a decent bike with YZ tank and he is no more guilty than a lot of bike manufacturers of working the 'works replica' replica tag on (Bultaco, KTM, Husaberg, et al).

Maybe custom or better yet 'Roger deCoster' 'Theme Bike' would be better. I am all for VMX having a theme bikes.

Actually this one that Bill mentioned despite having quite a few genuine RH parts has always gone under the title of TMGP, the works part was the awesome work Mike put into it

However we do have another bike in the pipeline that by your criteria could be a ridgy didge works replica ;)

formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 11:19:42 am »
So lets clarify Firko, if you have a ridgy didge works part are you then entitled to call it a works replica   
In a single word....No. I've got a genuine RH rear 'guard on my TM/TS250 which gives it 100% more works parts than 'ol Rustys creation yet I'd be ridiculed no end if I had the balls to call it a Works Replica. If Rusty had called his creation a tribute bike or just plain called it a trick TM I wouldn't have bothered criticizing it or him. Unfortunately it seems that he's managed to convince himself that his bike is similar enough to the one Joel rode and feels that us mere mortals should have to part with 7+k or swap our 490 Maico for the privelege of owning it.

* While I'm in soapbox mode, what's with the gold Excel rims on Rusty and NZ Mikes otherwise trick period bikes? Technicolour Excel rims don't belong on pre '75 bikes in my humble opinion. The gold colour is too bright and the Excel logo stands out like canine goolies, detracting from the bike. I've been guilty of black and even purple rims on my bikes in the past but I've seen the light and won't make that mistake again.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:28:46 am by firko »

TM BILL

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 01:13:35 pm »
I do like that bike of Marcs  :) i would replace the gold rims but other than that it ticks all the boxes  :)