Author Topic: MITAS DIRT TRACK TYRES  (Read 15642 times)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: MITAS DIRT TRACK TYRES
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 09:02:48 am »
thanks for the info Monty :)
"flat bickie"

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 01:02:28 pm »
The MITAS trials tyres are not common at all in twin shock trials (tube type). Way too hard and the sidewalls way too stiff. Not sure if they make a tubeless for the modern trials bikes.

Currently the IRC followed by Dunlop then a gap to Vee Rubber. The Michelin was the standard setter a few years ago and for the previous 15yrs but replaced the tube type version with a new tyre which was no where near as good  ???
I'll second everything montynut said.
I was silly enough to buy a MITAS trials rear sight-unseen to try it out (for trials riding) about 7 years ago. It was harder to get onto a rim than a Dunlop trials rear and that is saying something, and the only place it worked well was on smooth, hard dirt (a rare commodity in trials sections). I tried it on a Cota 348, a TY175 and finally on a modern trials bike (my wife's Beta Rev3). On each bike it lasted about 10 minutes before I gave up trying to adapt to it. That tyre has been sitting in the shed aging away since 2006.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

firko

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 02:12:22 pm »
That tyre has been sitting in the shed aging away since 2006.
You migh just have to build a dirt tracker around it. ;D It's funny how a tyre made for one discipline (trials) that sucks for that purpose works a treat for another (DT). Many years ago a road racer mate gave me a Bridgestone wet weather slick, telling me that it was the most dangerous, unpretictable tyre he'd ever used. I fitted it to my Maico for the Condo dirt track and found it to be the best dirt track tyre I ever used (for oiled tracks). It proved to be the exact opposite on dirt to what my friend had found it to be on bitumen. I later moved on to a Michelin trials tyre and gave the slick to my mate Bernie and he got 10 years out of it before the canvas eventually came through and he had to give it up.
I'll have that Mitas if you don't want it ;D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 02:39:00 pm »
Firko from memory those mitas trial are a bit like the thick chocolate block pattern on the old bristone / dunlops, not sure which it is but you know the type with the solid blocks.

Tyre worked fine from what i remeber but the tread wasnt chewing gum like the X11, but then being stiffer it did spin up easier so it was still good for most DT i road on and i road some road base goat tracks ( never got a flat either )  i think with all these trails type tyres its like the speedway tyres too.  Fo what ever reason the speedway dont wokr on the DT that well, its either in the wall  or the size and flex in the knob.   Even with the sipes inthe Speedway tyre it wants to run upright for drive rather than side on.  On my modern MX a speedy just likes to fish tail back and forth.

I cant see any reason that you couldnt even ride on a road tyre on the rear of a old DT, there might be better tyres out there, but at the end of the day it goes around and around.  i have a few old had 19" speedways here for free if anyone wants em, pay your postage.  cheap way of getting your modern on the track for prac day without having to change the rear rim to a 18", but look out ! 
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 04:44:02 pm »
I'm using an 18 Col.
When I was regularly buying tyres, Dunlop had just taken over from the legendary Barum as the tyre of choice, there has probably been about 20 " GUN " tyres since then.
You're observation is right Freaky, the way they ride Speedway these days is with the bike more upright with the whole face of the tread in contact.
I tried to tell you Graeme but you wouldn't listen ;) ;D

P.S. For interets sake Col, do they still have the winged Barum logo on them?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 04:53:00 pm by SlideRulz »

colmoody

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 09:31:36 pm »
As I have no experience what so ever with Trials Riding you'll get no argument from me on Montynut and Feetup fun's post's re this subject.

However I do find it interesting that Montynut's tyre of choice for Trials (IRC) has been my tyre of choice for Dirt Track for the last 3 or 4 years and as stated in an earlier post I have no problem with them. Coincidently prior to that I was using Dunlop D801 ( I think was the model designation) which apart from tearing the outside blocks off the rear in a couple of meetings I loved the grip level offer'd by the Dunlop. AS to ease of fitment I have no recollection how hard or otherwise they were. The IRC that I have used on the rear of my bike for the past 3 or 4 years that I purchased from Les Richter is still on the bike as we speak. Having said that for obvious reasons it will be getting the chop shortly.

The IRC that I have been using is of the tubless type (obviously with tube fitted) as is the MITAS ET-01.

MX 250, the RRP of the MITAS 4.00X18 Trials Universal is $139.00. For the record please state what is a premium price for this type/style of tyre.

As someone whom likes to use a bit of front brake I'd  like to hear the thoughts of the Dirt Trackers on there front tyre of choice. For mine I need to have a bit more confidence in the front than the rear.

Steve, whilst a truck load of SW-07 and to a lesser extent SW-05 (Speedway rear's) have past thru my hands in the last three or four months cant say that I've noticed the Barum Wings but I;ll get back to you on that one. Col.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:17:30 pm »
rec retail michy -189.00

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 01:01:32 pm »
FWIW - Fronts - KEnda Melville sticky
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

colmoody

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 07:32:08 pm »
On your wave lenght there Freaky. Have had a Millville on the front for about four years now and reckon they are a good thing.

Curly3

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 04:01:30 pm »
Okay, where do you get a Kenda Mellville - Millvile sticky from in the Syd area?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »
I have a MITAS 19 x 3.75 rear SW-07(reinforced sidewalls, excellent cornering) speedway tyre for sale. $79.
RRP = $139
CLICK HERE FOR MITAS PAGE

Although tyre has done one unsuccessful lap(didn't like) on the back of a young novice's modern, it was fitted and removed on a tyre machine. There are no marks on the bead or tyre.

If I hadn't mentioned it had been fitted, I doubt any one would have picked it.

I figure $79 is less than half of its RRP. I will include free registered post to any where in Australia. 
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2011, 06:24:51 pm »
I am not watching this computer all the time. So if anyone wants that tyre? please reply to this topic SOLD. To alert others.

Cheers, Mick.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 08:07:25 pm »
Okay, where do you get a Kenda Mellville - Millvile sticky from in the Syd area?

LOcal bike shop should have them ? you want the sticky though, so you could always ask them to order it in.   
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

colmoody

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2011, 07:43:51 pm »
Steve, you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer with a Millville in stock but any dealer that has an account with the distributor should be able to order you one in.

colmoody

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »
Steve, you'd be hard pressed to find a dealer with one in stock, but any of them should be able to order one in for you.