Author Topic: MITAS DIRT TRACK TYRES  (Read 15643 times)

colmoody

MITAS DIRT TRACK TYRES
« on: February 27, 2011, 01:17:54 pm »
A new Dealer that specializes in and carry's good stocks of the Mitas Brand of 18 inch Trials Universal, Speedway, Safari and Adventure Tyres. For a limited time they are doing a freight free deal to anywhere in NSW and a $7.50 freight cap to anywhere else in Australia.

ALL HOURS MOTOR CYCLE TYRES (5am-9.30pm 7 days) PH 0414 557795

Curly3

Re: MITAS DIRT TRACK TYRES
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 05:51:56 pm »
Are they a competitive tyre Col?

mx250

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 06:30:04 pm »
Nice offer, but I hope their prices are cheaper than the distributors RRP ::).

http://www.motorcycletyres.net.au/tyres/motocross/index.html

I don't think that's cheap for a no-name tyre ::) :'(

Curly3

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »
Maybe they're not a no name tyre, just we haven't heard much about them.
They might be the gun thing.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 07:05:53 pm »
Mitas took over Barum and i'm sure you've heard of Barums. Crumpy was using Mitas when he rode here a couple of years ago.

mx250

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 08:17:18 pm »
I meant No Name as in an unknown brand, an unknown quality.

If you want to get premium price you need a recognised brand or to be established as a Performance tyre. Mitas is neither.

To ask premium price for an unknown quality is a big ask. They have to establish their name or sell on price. At the mo they are doing neither :-[.

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 08:26:09 pm »
As with a lot of products, if they are already established names overseas, they can charge the going rate straight up.
Our local market definitely won't make or break their business.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 08:52:54 pm »

If you want to get premium price you need a recognised brand or to be established as a Performance tyre. Mitas is neither.

To ask premium price for an unknown quality is a big ask. They have to establish their name or sell on price. At the mo they are doing neither :-[.
I wouldn't call them no name.. a lot of riders in the Speedway GP's use Mitas.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:04:42 pm »
Mitas have been around for quite a while. I had one on a bike for dirt track about 3 or 4 years ago, it seemed fine, probably as good as a Michelin.

colmoody

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 10:24:30 pm »
Steve, as you know the Mitas (Barum) Brand is the tyre of choice for 99% of the world's Speedway riders so I would hazzard a guess they know a little about what works on dirt. Re the 400X18 Trials Universal I cannot speak from experience and as far as Dirt Track in Aus goes it is early days but a few guys are running around on them on moderns that are happy with them. So yes I would say they are competitive.

MX 250, No the prices are not cheaper than distibutors RRP. I dont recall anybody saying that they were a cheap tyre.

MX 250 I dont consider the RRP to be a premium price. Some might, and thats fine. Over the last few years I have been hosed off on a regular basis by guys riding on rear tyres with a RRP 40% more than the Mitas RRP and guys on rears with a RRP 20% less than the Mitas RRP. When you work that one out please let me know. Coincidently the rear tyre I had been using had a RRP of $165 and I have been happy with them.

Johnny O is right as is Graeme.

Steve do you run an 17 or 18 inch rear on the DR

firko

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 10:40:48 pm »
I'll add to the others....Mitas are genuine quality, quite a long stretch from unknown quality, if fact they're the best speedway tyre you can get and their trials tyres are as good on dirt track as the standard setting Michelin I've been told by blokes who know such stuff. In fact, I'm going to use Mitas tyres on my bikes for the upcoming big DT and short track meetings.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:45:48 pm »
ok, so lets take it that they're a good flat track tire.
can anyone give some insight as to how they stack up as a "trials" tyre?
for trials use of course.
"flat bickie"

colmoody

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 11:00:49 pm »
Sorry Vandy I can't help you on that one.

montynut

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 12:29:58 am »
The MITAS trials tyres are not common at all in twin shock trials (tube type). Way too hard and the sidewalls way too stiff. Not sure if they make a tubeless for the modern trials bikes.

Currently the IRC followed by Dunlop then a gap to Vee Rubber. The Michelin was the standard setter a few years ago and for the previous 15yrs but replaced the tube type version with a new tyre which was no where near as good  ???
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:33:51 am by montynut »

mx250

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:05 am »
It's not me that considers Mitas a No Name tyre it is the marketplace perception. If they are winning they should advertise their wins.

If they want to sell at a premium price they will need to have a performance profile. Otherwise they'll sell on price only, or to a handful of riders who are in the 'know', in the 'inner cycle', by word of mouth ;) :P.