Author Topic: Trip to the USA.  (Read 160773 times)

Curly3

Re: Trip to the USA.
« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2012, 06:47:53 am »
Well done Pete, live to fight another day after all we're not racing for sheep stations are we, unfortunately there's always gunna be some that are, even at a club day.
Dave, you said it was tongue but it tasted like the other end of the cow.
Keep it up Pete.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »
I missed this bit in Pete's emails this morning.

My mate Jim Monegan helped no end with advise in Colby, he runs Orman Hondas and where I though we had the right set up Jim had me pump the tyres up well over 20psi and gear the little Honda down and turn the engine a bit quicker, lookin forward to Stockton meetings Monday and Tuesday, finished second last year, like to win the series this year and we have a good start.
Seeya

I found this pic of Jim from 2003 when he won 3 AHRMA titles,
Foss

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 13, 2012, 08:07:26 pm »
Hi Steve ,I finally caught up with the story. Rod (Rocket) Watts bought up a corned beef tounge to eat. We shared around the Mafia camp fire as corned beef (almost every one liked it until we told it was bullocks tounge) god damn funny seeing people spit it out .But it did taste damn fine. ;D

Curly3

« Reply #243 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »
Geez Dave, and I thought Jim was pissed, you're a week behind the convo.
I love my Corned Silverside and knew straight away it wasn't the real deal, too fibrous.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:13:54 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2012, 07:08:10 am »
Well, Our mate, Pete, certainly got sick of third places !!, here's the pix from Stockton, I dont have captions for the pix so they will have to tell their own story, here's Pete's report.

Hi Guys,
2nd day at Stockton went well, well perfect. Won the Over 50 Vintage final and the series overall (here 1st place is worth more percentage wise than 2nd and so on, made my limp home last night in 5th worth it), was a great race combined with the over 60 class, where my mate from last year, Ron Long, also won.
The Open Vintage was my best ride to date, came off the start in 4th to win the final by a wheel from Newbold. Gave me the series win in that class as well.
Sorry to concentrate on only my stuff, the meetings were well attended, Davy Durrell won the 450 from Chis Carr (his first meet for the year, out of semi-retirement) and a good feild of pro's. Counted at least 7 XR750's racing, Davy won the Open on his after a battle with Chris's 450 Honda. Chris Carr is developing a new dirt track tyre with Golden Tire, Jim Monegan also done test for him on vintage bikes, such is the respect for older races here.
Thats it for us, very happy with our racing and visit to the USA, planning for next year!
 Seeya.

A huge  thank you to  Dave Gras for the motorcycle (it is still strong although after 9 days of racing, leaking a bit of oil and looks second-hand, we are to pull it down in Texas).

Bill Davis for all his help (trailer, tools, spare everything, home, bed, garage, taxis,food and more),

Tom Laird for the Triumphs,Colleen for pit work, and everyones support Here in the USA and back in OZ.

Thanks everyone
Pete

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:11:19 am by JAP 454 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:08 am »
Great stuff and well done, Pete and Colleen

It's been a real pleasure following our two OZ Dirt Track ambassadors on their travels, It really pleases me to see the cameraderie of Dirt Track Racing cross oceans and boundaries.

A big thank you,from the OZ Vintage Dirt Track mob ,and me, The Fossil,  to all the people in the USA who looked after our mates, Pete and Colleen.

I can't wait till next year !!
Foss
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:23:36 am by JAP 454 »

Curly3

« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2012, 08:02:48 am »
He's gunna be well primed for Canberra.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2012, 06:22:15 pm »
Great stuff and well done, Pete and Colleen

It's been a real pleasure following our two OZ Dirt Track ambassadors on their travels, It really pleases me to see the cameraderie of Dirt Track Racing cross oceans and boundaries.

A big thank you,from the OZ Vintage Dirt Track mob ,and me, The Fossil,  to all the people in the USA who looked after our mates, Pete and Colleen.

I can't wait till next year !!
Foss
HEAR HEAR !
CHEERS.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2012, 09:20:40 pm »
Hi Ol Fart ,
Well done mate hope you enjoyed the ride. You & Col done us proud mate.We will make the rocket faster for next year .The Aussie way
Have a safe trip home from the Griffith Mafios

Curly3

« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2012, 09:35:23 pm »
They've been like headless chook's without the calming influence of mr & mrs "DON".
Safe trip home guy's.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2012, 05:29:56 am »
Just like to update those pics, Colleen is in the picture with Jim and Nancy Monegan from Washington state, the battle I had with 747 is Travis Newbold, fresh from Pikes Peak where he won 450 class (CRF450 he made out of parts/17'' slicks,etc) and set 9th fastest time of the week (including cars), really a great story (he missed Colby as he was travelling to the series).Colleen and I are next to Ron Longs beautiful framer (pity I am in the way).If a bloke had enough time you could write a book on the experience we have had, as we started this year the cost of the motorhome and airfares alone (over $20,000) were weighing on my mind but having nearly finished our trip I can't believe we would have had as much fun as the first time, but we have had more!Have spoke to Paul Covert in depth and with another Aussie he will be organizing a test next year, forgot to mention the British rider in Kansas this year, Alan Birtwistle from Lancashire (he rode really well in the modern ameteur, building his pace to win convincingly). Must assure Alan we looked after him and even included us in his podium speech, he loves pancakes!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »
From Pete and Colleen today

Brakeless class has a following in the US, here Paul Covert (Captain Dirt Racing) tests a new bike(for introduction to the series) the day after the races.

Paul was super helpful to us, letting us camp at his place and use his shop.

You reckon The Fossil would like a skid around on one of these ? you betcha !!

Foss

Curly3

« Reply #252 on: August 17, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »
If we can develop the short track competition at Nepean a bit more we might be able to introduce a brakeless class here, we might have more competitors for a brainless class.
Is that a Rotax?

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 17, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
NAAH. Slides,
It's not a Rotax, it's one of my second favourite motors, a 500 Yammy, looks like an SR, no points cover.

Foss

Curly3

« Reply #254 on: August 17, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »
Doesn't matter, love the rigid arse.