Author Topic: Trip to the USA.  (Read 160764 times)

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to the USA.
« Reply #210 on: July 14, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »
You bloody beauty,
       That is sensational stuff! Go git em' cowboy ;D
                 regards  Mark

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:51 am »
Our first meeting in the USA, after a 1500 mile trip to pick up motorcycles, was the Ohio State Ameteur Championships in Bellefontainne, Ohio on the half-mile. A pea-gravel track in a paper-clip design (American), suits me as it is similar to OZ surfaces. We have 2 Triumph 750's supplied by Tom Laird of Nebraska and a Champion Honda 442cc purchased by David Gras to use in the USA.
After quaifying 2nd in the Open Vintage on the 750 I decided to switch back to the 442cc Honda of David's as the track had been watered and the smaller motorcycle would be easier to ride than the big twin cylinder bike. Machine changes are allowed in the states and it proved a good move as I won the race resonably comfortably.
Really enjoyed being back on the fair circuts and am looking forward to Wasseon Classic National next friday and the AMA Vintage Championships on saturday in Ashland about 100 mile away.

Dave's Honda was a weapon fitted with one of our Australian style tyres (particularly after watering),

On the Triumph dicing with Michigan rider Jeff Boolinger

On David Gras's Honda leadind Dusty

With trophy and Dave's bike. Thanks to Colleen for the pic's and being a good wife, and friend.

Seeya,Pete

Thanks Pete and Colleen for keeping us up to date, Great stuff !!

Ea and I are off to the KTM King of Nepean today, it's gunna be good !!

Foss

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2012, 02:20:31 pm »
Well done Pete look in great form . Do us proud mate

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2012, 08:28:12 am »
Up-date from Pete and Colleen this morning,

G'day All,

Finally got to the races, we have over 5500 miles up on the Camper and all is good. Bellefontainne hosted the Ohio State Amateur Championships on the half mile yesterday and we needed to shakedown the bikes before the AMA round next weekend. Track was a "paperclip" half-mile, two longer straights connected to turns at either end. A resonable turnout with some great pro-racing.

I entered the heavyweight(big bike) vintage class and qualified 2nd on the Champion Triumph, beaten by a Rotax 676cc single ridden by a bloke called Dusty, in the final changed to David Gras's Champion Honda to win (machine changes allowed in good old USA, the big twin was never going to beat a Rotax from the eighty's).

Also entered the Over 50 class on the Honda and qualified 2nd but elected not to ride the final, our motorcycle from the seventies a poor match for modern bikes. All in all a good result and met some new friends and interesting to be back on the Fair circuit, in-mates cleaning up after the races and watching the bull riding on Thursday nite.

Big 2 meetings 100 mile apart next weekend
See Ya

Foss
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:32:35 am by JAP 454 »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2012, 01:41:10 pm »
peter sent me this

its a stiker to go on you bike to remember him for ever

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 16, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »
Hey Pete,
Well done on the win, keep em coming.
Next Friday at Wauseon is at Fulton County Fairground, which is about two miles up State Route 108 from where I live when I work over there. I'll tell a couple of bike riding mates to come and look you up, if that's OK with you. I'm sure they'll have a couple of nice cold Bud's for you after the races.
Cheers,
Pete.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2012, 07:54:32 am »
That would be great, am looking for someone to help me, you have to push start the Triumph as it has no Starter nut.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2012, 07:59:40 am »
Up-date from Pete and Colleen this morning,

G'day All,

Finally got to the races, we have over 5500 miles up on the Camper and all is good. Bellefontainne hosted the Ohio State Amateur Championships on the half mile yesterday and we needed to shakedown the bikes before the AMA round next weekend. Track was a "paperclip" half-mile, two longer straights connected to turns at either end. A resonable turnout with some great pro-racing.

I entered the heavyweight(big bike) vintage class and qualified 2nd on the Champion Triumph, beaten by a Rotax 676cc single ridden by a bloke called Dusty, in the final changed to David Gras's Champion Honda to win (machine changes allowed in good old USA, the big twin was never going to beat a Rotax from the eighty's).

Also entered the Over 50 class on the Honda and qualified 2nd but elected not to ride the final, our motorcycle from the seventies a poor match for modern bikes. All in all a good result and met some new friends and interesting to be back on the Fair circuit, in-mates cleaning up after the races and watching the bull riding on Thursday nite.

Big 2 meetings 100 mile apart next weekend
See Ya

Foss
The bloke running second to that out of shape Rotax is Tim Hagar (meet Tim and his wife last year), he laid it down to avoid him and hit the fence (ugly fences here), ended up with 2 broke vertabrae and collapsed lung among other injuries, sent me a message saying for Colleen not to worry as he is OK (she was right there).

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2012, 01:43:02 pm »
That would be great, am looking for someone to help me, you have to push start the Triumph as it has no Starter nut.

No worries Pete. What day(s) and what is your riding number? I'll let them know. A contact number would be good also.
Pete.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2012, 12:47:26 am »
phone number 817 933 8710 and riding number 74 and 17. Thanks be great to see em.

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2012, 12:48:56 am »
Friday night 20th.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2012, 07:11:53 am »
From Pete and Colleen this morning

All cleaned up and went through the carby's on the Triumphs, really can see why you need to run race gas here, the Trackmaster has been using premium pump and the 10% ethonal attracts water just like our methonal.

Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2012, 06:46:47 am »
Pete and Colleen's Report from Wausseon and Ashland Meetings

Hi All,
Big meeting at Wauseon in Ohio, National long track titles and huge swap with vintage (board racers and the like National titles for them as well).

The more modern classics we the main support classes, the 750 Open the feature of the night. Track had very little sraightaway but huge corners, still half-mile, and difficult for me to come to grips with, failed to quaify the 750 after jumping start and put behind the 2nd row. 36 750's all open, had to get first 4 to get to the main.The race was a treat, will tell later.

Dave's bike went well and came 4th in heat and put me on the second row of the feature, finished 11th in race, a real wake up call to qualify well!

Travelled 3hrs to race in the AMA Vintage Champs in Ashland the next night, great to be back there and practiced well, made sure to get 1st on the 750 in heat to ensure a good grid (coming to grips withTom's bike). Stalled the 750 on the line in final, very dissapponting. Dave's Honda handling great but no match for big TT's,Rotax and XL's in the over 50 division, still qualified 3rd (put me on the second row, I hate that). The final was probably one of my best rides in USA, finished 4th after being out dragged to the line.Won by Dave Atherton on a Norton, one of the US rider that toured with Springer in OZ.
Really tough weekend but enjoyed it none the less. Seeya.

PS we will leave Ohio to see some more sights before the Kanzas series starting August 9

Pete and Super Senior, Jack Warren

This bloke is a hero, at the Wauseon races the 750 vintage was the money race,open to pro's.
There was 36 riders entered, 18 made the final (I didn't qualify after a jump start and set back behind row 2) Chad Rall(22) and Joe Roedler(pro racer now in thirties) battling for the lead after Jack Warren (uncle of Eddie Warren MX racer still in OZ) jumped the start and was sent back behind the 3rd row (yes the third row) after six laps Jack is in third (how he got there I dunno, the race for lead captivating) then second, on the last lap he came under Joe and pushed him wide to win. JACK WARREN IS NEARLY SEVENTY ONE. 71.

PS there was an Last chance qualifier and I decided not to contest it, really no way I could have made the top 2 in it.

Thanks , Pete and Colleen for keeping us up to date

Foss

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 06:49:13 am by JAP 454 »

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2012, 07:55:03 am »
I just love those old Board Racers,  that's vintage with a capital V, !! Great stuff
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:29 am »
71 and still winning, that means there's still time for you Foss. ;D
And I've still got 19 years of racing at least left in me, just not right now.