Author Topic: Trip to the USA.  (Read 160790 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to the USA.
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2011, 11:15:31 am »
and offered some very real advice,
Pete's down on power, new to that type of surface and type of racing, is way out of his comfort zone and is riding a motocross Metisse which is not really made for flat track against proper dirt track framed bikes

I can see it now Australia's only P&C DirtTrack Training School   ;D   ;D
Excellent reports and great memories to have..
Cool lookin Dirt Track Cowboys support chick with shirt  8)  8)
thanks A
Best is in the West !!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:24 am »

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2011, 03:45:48 am »
Very sad news from Norton I held back a bit, Vern Johnson died in Turn 3, he was national numbered rider from the 70's. Colleen and I seen the family the next morning,probaby know a bit more than most, very sad.These places are fast and unforgiving,nobody wants to fall,if someone does the race is stopped immediately,eg Colby 0 falls and only 2 in Norton (in the same race,Vintage 750 Pro).

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2011, 06:03:56 am »
Some more news from Peter and Colleen from the Stockton meeting and I'm bloody proud of them and VERY VERY jealous  too, Pete's met one of my heros !!!
Sad news indeed ,about Vern,  and I'm sure all on here would send their thoughts and condolences to his family.

Sad news we held back from family,Vern Johnson(national pro from the 70's) died in turn 3 at Norton.Not good.
Onto Stockton for the remaining 2 nights of racing.Pat Orman asked me to ride his XL350 based Champion,he is the Top 350 tuner in the states,true,his motors are rockets.Straight after he made the offer I took Bill's bike out and threw it away-fast,not many people fall off, Colby 0,Norton 2,over the 2 nites at Stockton 4.Finger got caught under bar,ouch and have skin off here and there.Colleen's heart still beating,made me a bit of a hero, right in front of everyone.Explained to Pat when I went up to him I would just qualify his bike(gear all tore up),for the vintage 600 am,Pat said hell no win it (similar attitude to Bill) so won the heat and the Main later in the night,his bike is an absolute weapon.Didn't fare so well on Bill's 650 got 5th in main after the fall in heat(still qualified,can't work it out).Great day with Lap of main street,interveiw with comentator after the win and meeting Dave Aldana.4 poms at the meet getting better.Send day 2 in a minute.

No need to say who this is !!!

Pete out in the marbles and going down. Pete's comment " Made a bit of bob boo, yes it did hurt "

Foss

« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:53:07 am by JAP 454 »

Curly3

« Reply #109 on: August 18, 2011, 08:33:16 am »
Very sad to hear and a sobering reminder to us all that even Classic Racing can bite just as hard.
Glad to you're okay Pete and still pedaling.
Keep safe.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »
This report on Stockton day 2 from Pete and Colleen this morning

Final night of the series, showdown between Carr,Durell and Toons didn't really happen with Chris's bike not able to start so Davy Durrell got the win on the nite,Chris Carr won the previous nite after 12 lap battle passed on the last corner. All be it it was still great racin, big bikes doin 100mph on the half mile,awesome.I rode Pat Orman's XL again,the bloke is a legend, won the heat and muffed the start in main to get 3rd, gave me 2nd place in the Kanzas Fair series, over 50 Vintage Ameteur.It blows me away the old blokes riding over here in this series in the Vintage Pro classes, they fair dinkum fly, they are used to the speed I suppose. Eg 65yrs old Jerry Cheney won the Open Ameteur on his 450 modern framer against kids on DTX 450's, and came from behind,unreal. And someone complained he should be ridin Pro class because he was a Pro 40 years ago, that would pit him against Chris Carr etc.Anyhow that's it for me 9 days racing in the 8 weeks has been fantastic, we were always the first to the circut and last to leave made some great friends we hope to keep in touch with them. Many, many thanks to Bill Davis for making it happen and to Nancy for accepting us into her home.
PS no. 17 is Pats bike and Bill's 33.

Wow , what a trip, what an experience  and what a story, Pete and Colleen have been great ambassadors for Australia and Aussie Dirt Track.
Thanks to Pete for the race reports and Colleen for the excellent photos and a big thank you to Bill Davis for looking after our mate and Colleen and Pat Orman for giving him another ride on a very fast bike.

See Ya at The Skids sometime
Foss
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:30:46 pm by JAP 454 »

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2011, 05:11:13 pm »
Freakin awesome  ;D
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2011, 10:10:44 pm »
totally freaking awesome trip Pete,hope you pumped Pat for info on his XL motors, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:18 pm »
Sad news indeed about Vern, 
Finger got caught under bar,ouch and have skin off here and there.Colleen's heart still beating,made me a bit of a hero, right in front of everyone

My hearts beatin fast and I dont even know you  ;D .. the speeds alone are far out fast  :o  :o
Its been a great journey and thanks for sharing..
Safe travels homeward and thanks Bill for your support of an Aussie  8)
hope to catch up with Colleen and The Champ one day.. 8)
West Oz
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2011, 11:56:29 pm »
Great work Pete....I told you Bill was a good bloke!
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:12 am »
You are right there Firko, heading back to Bills today. Had a couple of days with Larry Kennedy, ex racer from the late 60's, he took me out bass fishin and we caught and released 80 odd in a morning with one of his mates. Larry is Michael Toon's grandfather, a pro rider who has won the DTX 450 class on the Springfeild Mile 3 years in row. Shared a couple of meals together and he is a great young man (22), the mile is on in a fortnight, Colleen and I will be rootin for him.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2011, 09:41:30 pm »
Congratulations Peter, what a great performance and experience. You must have learnt a lot at the Qld Nats.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2011, 08:24:48 am »
Pete,

I noticed you started out using a trials tyre on the rear but ended up on the goodyear/maxxis type. Any particular reason for dropping the trials?

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2011, 12:16:28 pm »
On the pea-gravel (cracker dust) I'm sure the trials was better (but it does get hot and the mains can be from 6 to 10 laps).At DuQuoin the mile was the day after the half-mile and I decided to make it easy and fit the Dunlop K180 for both races. The tyre thing is a bit up in the air with Maxxis out and no real 18in option (our K180 was pretty old and hard,but they don't make them anymore).I wasn't game to use a trials on the clay mile, you run pressures of 20psi +

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2011, 01:03:12 pm »
Cheers, I am using K180's and have been struggling to work out what tyre pressure works best. After talking to Dave Durelle (via email) it appears as though I have been not running enough air so was keen to get your thoughts.  i have heard about Dunlop dropping the K180 but our local Team Moto shop recons he can still get them? Guess I better stock up while he can!

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro