Author Topic: New or old KSI Thumper?  (Read 27313 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New or old KSI Thumper?
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »
By the way MarcFX, I like your replica a lot too.

Hi Graeme, my budget XL250s was built for shits and giggles out of some old junker, I actually took my replica bike down from the post as it is embarrasment compared to the KSI modern or otherwise.

However I have a cunning plan to jig and reproduce a better tube frame version now I know where all the bits go and have the Cheney frame as well to copy. Stay tuned ;-0.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 12:49:10 pm »
By the way, the photo on here is constrained by my settings for the forum. It looks better here:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/derekksi/newksithumper.jpg

and the original KSI bike:

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/derekksi/oldksithumper.jpg

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2011, 01:03:49 pm »

heavy discussions on who the heck made this frame  :o  :P  ;D..... and theyll have to track down a Kiwi to find out  :D  ;)
cheers A
[/quote]

You know Kiwis Alison, pathological DIYers, KSIs, Mosquito Bombers it is all the same to us  ;D

http://mosquitorestoration.com/gallery.shtml
formerly Marc.com

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2011, 01:44:21 pm »
I'm interested in knowing what the bike chained to the original KSI bike is. The trellis swingarm looks trick.
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
I'm interested in knowing what the bike chained to the original KSI bike is. The trellis swingarm looks trick.

Hey Canam,
I noticed that as well. What with all this detective work going on, we might have to rename this site…
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:03 pm »
Oh well, I guess that clears that up then! I suppose with all the roumours around "marketing deals" and reproducing Thumpers again for the last few years, a lot of people were hoping Faber would produce a replica. Maybe with all the interest Dick's new bike has attracted, Miles will just be tempted to go for it. It would be a shame if he didn't. He might even make some money doing it this time around  ;D. As for Dick's new bike. As a one off "special" it's all about what the owner wants, and  I can't think Dick would want any more with this one. In fact I think he should clear an extra bit of room in his garage for it by selling me his old one. 

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:10 pm »
I suppose with all the roumours around "marketing deals" and reproducing Thumpers again for the last few years, a lot of people were hoping Faber would produce a replica. 

Too true, but I think there is room to improve on the original without loosing the plot. I built in detachable rear sub frame into my Mk1 version and flattened out the seat tank junction. Give you heaps more scope for decent airbox, exhaust that you can get at by removing the back end and looks nicer IMHO. Also of course the later twin port motors are much easier to find, I will do big bore 250 motor when I do the next frame.

formerly Marc.com

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2011, 12:08:08 am »
If you were to take the new bike and fit the old tank and seat it completely transforms the look  ;D.

Yes, we did it (photo? sorry, no) but that ultimately takes one back down the slippery slope to an exact replica - arguably, pointless.

As I tried to explain before, we just chose to move things on a bit more.

Had a call last night, from someone whose opinion I value, saying "Marty [Moates] would have loved that bike".

That'll do for me.

PS Marc - nice work. Creative in a different way.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2011, 07:08:33 am »
Phwoar! That tank is a work of art.

Having previously raced an Original KSI,I like this nothing wrong with building it just because you can,I'd race it in a heartbeat,

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2011, 09:44:21 am »
I like the new KSI for the side panels alone, usually the Achillies heal of any 4 stroke special is dodgy looking side covers and no airbox.
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:48 am »
…from someone whose opinion I value

I hope you are not belittling our opinions there Dick?  :D

It is common knowledge that the world at large waits to devour the wisdom brought forth on these pages. I thought a man of your stature would have realised that by now…  ;)

…and  I will ask again, where did the rear hub come from??
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2011, 08:01:37 am »
oops, sorry guys no offence intended!

Rear hub is a fusion ;) of Talon billet, KTM magnesium drum and a one-off brake plate with outrigger bearing. Even the brake cam is a one-off.

Miles spent that long making the darned thing I lost the will to live. I used a bog stock RM370 hub on mine...

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2011, 09:53:18 am »
oops, sorry guys no offence intended!

:D  ;D  :D

Rear hub is a fusion ;) of Talon billet, KTM magnesium drum and a one-off brake plate with outrigger bearing. Even the brake cam is a one-off.

I knew it looked trick, but boy does that sound like a lot of work!! I hope it works a good as it looks

Miles spent that long making the darned thing I lost the will to live.

;D

Thanks
VMX42

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2011, 11:47:50 pm »
Your a bit slow on the up take Jeffy......I picked the Talon hub on the first page. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 07:44:39 am »