Author Topic: New or old KSI Thumper?  (Read 27336 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: New or old KSI Thumper?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:32 pm »
Its a nice looking bike, but i agree its not vintage. I reckon there could be a class to cater for these bikes along withe the over the top HL500 replicas and modern built Maico 490's and single shock bikes converted to twin shock etc and call it a 'ultimate' class. Basically the engines are still old air cooled types, but the chassis, suspension and cosmetics are more modern. I know there is no room for another class in Australias schedule now though but down the track i could vision a similar class being grouped with pre 90 movement maybe. I dont think we have to worry about too many of these bikes here at this stage though and most people are still happy to see the 'over the top' HL's and Maicos still compete in EVO
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 06:55:53 pm »
Sorry but the new model is not for me I can understand why but I would not own one, but the KSI I would own no problem it would look good next to my two C & J Honda's.

Hi Swiss good to see you on this site as well as the XL page.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 04:58:47 am »
Some interesting comments here.

The bad news is that I believe there is only 4 of these being made. It's a shame it isn't based more on the original. Or even better if you had the option of an XL500 twin port engine it. If you run a business making BSA replica mx frames, why would you want to produce a modern looking bike with an old engine in it. If it's nothing like the stuff you already make, why invest all that time and money. I just dont get it. I would much rather see a like for like replica KSI Thumper, at a reasonable price that people can actually buy and race.

It's a bit like those concept cars you see at motor shows that look really cool but you never get a chance to actually buy one. 

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 07:00:13 am »
its just that seat which looks..plonked on, all else is pretty bloody well considered and crafted. No doubt the seat is the go for riding, but something is wrong aesthetically there.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:15 am »
I don't mind the look of the bike overall. It's a nice bit of work and I'd happily own it and ride it. I think it's just that European twin shock thing that I don't get.  It's not vintage/classic in any shape or form, it's not a 'cheap' racing class, and it just results in nice old bikes being carved up.

But if I had the money and you offered me the modern KSI we see here, and a replica of the original Moates bike, I know which one I'd buy...

Maybe I just missed something along the line and it's a sort of concept bike. Would be interesting to hear the builder's take on it.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 07:34:43 am »
The bad news is that I believe there is only 4 of these being made. It's a shame it isn't based more on the original. Or even better if you had the option of an XL500 twin port engine it. If you run a business making BSA replica mx frames, why would you want to produce a modern looking bike with an old engine in it.

Precisely, not mention Faber teased everyone on there web site for the last 4 years .... its like getting a piece of coal for Xmas.

However the class legal XL twin port option with CR running gear may well be a reality that is being worked on as we speak  ;).
formerly Marc.com

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 09:00:02 am »
Its a nice looking bike, but i agree its not vintage. I reckon there could be a class to cater for these bikes along withe the over the top HL500 replicas and modern built Maico 490's

So what's an over the top HL?
The HL's were of a 76-79 design. A few have upgraded suspension to try and keep up with Evo bikes that are mostly post 80 design but that hardly makes them "over the top"
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline ksithumper

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 09:01:27 am »
Guys, thanks for all the comments on the new bike, I thought you may like to know the background first hand.

Firstly, it is not a Faber project. It has been a weekend hobby engineering project between me and a mate who happens to be one of the Faber partners, Miles Webb. It helps somewhat that the bloke’s a genius with a brazing torch. Miles and Ralph Rustell built the original KSI frames for Knobby Shop – if you ever see one, the RW stamped on the headstock stands for Rustell Webb.

Second, there aren’t any production plans, just two bikes built for us. Are they for sale? No.

Could we have built something identical to the old bikes? Absolutely, yes –  but we realised we didn’t want to. “Why not?” is a bit more difficult to explain, but in a nutshell I didn’t need a replica because I already own and race an original KSI. For his part, Miles doesn’t really ‘get’ the whole nostalgia thing – he is more for looking forward not back, and he just wanted to build his son a special race bike.

The UK twinshock race rules are written to encourage ‘bums on seats’ –  the only requirements being two shocks, air cooled, drum brakes and no USD forks. That may not be vintage pure, but it sure as hell works and importantly it is easy to police. The effect is that - alongside the period perfect stuff that some people prefer - there are some interesting specials out there racing.  They say that variety is the spice of life but if that upsets you, just head over to Belgium where they allow 50mm forks, Keihin FCR carbs and all sorts of other stuff that will really blow your fuse. They do have good beer though. Maybe the two are linked.

This bike is nothing more than an air cooled trail bike engine in a steel tube frame with twin shocks, early 80s forks and drum brakes. It doesn’t look vintage because we didn’t want it to. We just wanted to do something with that simple race formula and the engine and chassis are awash with trick bits that the photos don’t show. We chose to squeeze a 500 engine out of a 350 base just because it was a more interesting path than using an XR500 motor [yes, a 500 fits].

So there you have it. Not a show or concept bike built to advertise something, not a prototype, not a replica. It wasn’t intentionally built as art, or to provoke debate as some have suggested. It’s just a fun dirt bike project built by a couple of old sods with Castrol R in their veins. That said, the reaction since it was revealed on Saturday has been mindblowingly positive and we are a bit shocked to be honest.

Now, if you’ll kindly excuse me I need to finish building the bloody thing and then go plaster it with mud!

Race safely.
Dick Tett.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 09:43:19 am »
Guys, thanks for all the comments on the new bike, I thought you may like to know the background first hand.

Firstly, it is not a Faber project. It has been a weekend hobby engineering project between me and a mate who happens to be one of the Faber partners, Miles Webb. It helps somewhat that the bloke’s a genius with a brazing torch. Miles and Ralph Rustell built the original KSI frames for Knobby Shop – if you ever see one, the RW stamped on the headstock stands for Rustell Webb.

Second, there aren’t any production plans, just two bikes built for us. Are they for sale? No.

Could we have built something identical to the old bikes? Absolutely, yes –  but we realised we didn’t want to. “Why not?” is a bit more difficult to explain, but in a nutshell I didn’t need a replica because I already own and race an original KSI. For his part, Miles doesn’t really ‘get’ the whole nostalgia thing – he is more for looking forward not back, and he just wanted to build his son a special race bike.

The UK twinshock race rules are written to encourage ‘bums on seats’ –  the only requirements being two shocks, air cooled, drum brakes and no USD forks. That may not be vintage pure, but it sure as hell works and importantly it is easy to police. The effect is that - alongside the period perfect stuff that some people prefer - there are some interesting specials out there racing.  They say that variety is the spice of life but if that upsets you, just head over to Belgium where they allow 50mm forks, Keihin FCR carbs and all sorts of other stuff that will really blow your fuse. They do have good beer though. Maybe the two are linked.

This bike is nothing more than an air cooled trail bike engine in a steel tube frame with twin shocks, early 80s forks and drum brakes. It doesn’t look vintage because we didn’t want it to. We just wanted to do something with that simple race formula and the engine and chassis are awash with trick bits that the photos don’t show. We chose to squeeze a 500 engine out of a 350 base just because it was a more interesting path than using an XR500 motor [yes, a 500 fits].

So there you have it. Not a show or concept bike built to advertise something, not a prototype, not a replica. It wasn’t intentionally built as art, or to provoke debate as some have suggested. It’s just a fun dirt bike project built by a couple of old sods with Castrol R in their veins. That said, the reaction since it was revealed on Saturday has been mindblowingly positive and we are a bit shocked to be honest.

Now, if you’ll kindly excuse me I need to finish building the bloody thing and then go plaster it with mud!

Race safely.
Dick Tett.

Hey Dick,
Great bike, great concept and all done for the right reasons [for fun & because you can].

Bloody fantastic, I hope it goes as good as it looks.
VMX42

…and bums on seats is far more important that period authenticity [IMHO].
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

mainline

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 09:45:03 am »
In a way it's no different to the Cheney BSA's being made now with deeper, longer seats that run right up to the lowered tanks.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:34 am »
Hey Dick,
One question: can give me some more info on the rear hub/brake? Looks very trick…
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

firko

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
…and bums on seats is far more important that period authenticity [IMHO].
You're being cheeky now Jeff.....I shuddered when Dick mentioned those pesky Belgians, knowing you'd throw some burley in the water. ;D
Other than that little philosophical difference, I couldn't agree more with Dicks reasoning behind his beautiful creation. I love folks who venture outside of the red, yellow and white plastic circle.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 10:04:25 am »
So Dick, you own an original KSI, AND this replica? You lucky, lucky bastard.  We will of course look forward to the video of it getting plastered with mud!

By the way MarcFX, I like your replica a lot too.

TooFastTim

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 10:23:28 am »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 11:05:18 am »
You're being cheeky now Jeff.....I shuddered when Dick mentioned those pesky Belgians, knowing you'd throw some burley in the water. ;D

But at least I never mentioned those crazy Dutchmen.  ;)