Author Topic: New or old KSI Thumper?  (Read 27328 times)

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
New or old KSI Thumper?
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:34:13 am »
Pictured today at the off road show in Stafford, UK. An original KSI Thumper and Fabers new replacement. I have to say I really don't see the point of the new version. It's probably "twinshock" legal but is it based on the original. I know which one I would go for  ;Dhttp://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/derekksi/newksithumper.jpg[/IMG]

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: New or old KSI Thumper?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:35:10 am »

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:29:19 am »
In its own right its quite a cool looking thing  :)

As far as Vintage or twinsock racing no way  ::) its up there with those S2 Maicos and all those modified linkage bikes they race in twinshock :P

From outside looking in it appears the POMs have lost the plot when it comes to the spirit of vintage racing  :o

Swiss

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:49:59 am »
So call it "Retro" and enjoy it!  Beautiful bike, my favorite engine!  Way to go Dick!!  Been waiting for these photos for a LONG time!  I would ride it in a heartbeat!

Swiss
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:58:55 am by Swiss »

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:41 am »
is that a ktm seat? the motor looks terrific.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 07:53:34 am »
That new KSI looks cool! Maybe a little too modern with that seat but i'd love to own it.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 07:54:49 am »
this is the frame they should have built

formerly Marc.com

Captain Bilko

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 07:56:46 am »
From outside looking in it appears the POMs have lost the plot when it comes to the spirit of vintage racing  :o

They're not the only ones...... ::)

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 08:01:22 am »
Motor Aside Marc yours looks a shit load more like the original  8)

Quote " so call it retro and enjoy it "

Mate you can call it Susan for all i care  ::) and ride it in modern events till your hearts content as long as we dont pretend it has a place in vintage  ;)

Swiss

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:19:11 am »
Bill, my Honda XL350 had 6" of rear wheel travel when I built it in 1974 so it wouldn't fit into your "Vintage" classes even back then!  So I don't ride Vintage, many of the tricked out bikes in '74 had more than the "Factory" 4" rear travel spec!  Enjoy your old bikes, I have enjoyed my Retro bike for the last 35 years and plan on many more with it!  Besides, Susan might take offense more than I will! ;D

Swiss

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:22:46 am »
Motor Aside Marc yours looks a shit load more like the original  8)

Quote " so call it retro and enjoy it "

Mate you can call it Susan for all i care  ::) and ride it in modern events till your hearts content as long as we dont pretend it has a place in vintage  ;)
I wouldn't mind running that Faber in a modern race, would certainly turn some heads. ;)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:37:26 am »
  Besides, Susan might take offense more than I will! ;D
Swiss

Hell I would call it retro alright retro active freaking mess, reminds me of something CCM built as it was running out of BSA motors.

Who the hell would you sell that thing to, an RMZ owner who wants 60% less power ????, they had the potential for class legal pre 78/80 bikes.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 08:45:24 am »
Yea, I dont see the point, there's hotrods out there but that aint one of them...it even looks like it has a Talon hub adapted to the rear, even Marc wouldnt do that to a bike, I'm with you Bill.....wait till Ficko comes around from his alcohol fueled coma.....the big hotrodder himself will be choking on his vegemite toast. ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Swiss

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:48 am »
OK Marc, not your style!  Don't know how you build your engines, but 60% less power than a RMZ??  A well built XL350 will crank out over 50hp.  Should be enough for the "Vintage" Class!  

Swiss

To each his own.  I had a C&J Centerport XL350 frame last year and sold it rather than built it because they don't do anything for me.  I like the new KSI and you can build what you want like your funky 500 Honda version if it floats your boat! ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:54:09 am »
50 horsepower....what drugs are you on?...the new KTM350 motocrosser only puts out about 40....even with methonol and a gazillion dollars chucked at it it would go bang very quickly....maybe you know something the rest of the worlds bike engine builders dont?... ???
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.