Author Topic: POMEROYS RACE WINNING BULTACO  (Read 128797 times)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: POMEROYS RACE WINNING BULTACO
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2011, 07:23:15 PM »
He told me that there are only a couple of people left who would know the real answer. One was Jims French/Spanish mechanic, the other Arnie Beaman who took over after the Spanish GP.

All we can do now is to hope that Arnie can come up with a definitive answer.

According to numerous reports in subsequent years Rubio (sometimes spelt Rubion) Flores remained JPs mechanic for a long time after that GP. But Arnies name often came up too after a while. As did Skip Kretz in the US. It always seemed like JP had a couple of mechanics at any time (after the 1st GP)

If the bike was US-prepped, surely somebody in the US would know

firko

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
Ron also gave me Rubios phone # but warned me that he speaks very little English. I'll take the Arnie route first. Ron told me that Jim shared mechanics with the other Works Bultaco supported entrants at the Spanish GP, presumably Rubio was one of them. He told me that Arnie became the main mechanic in time for the following GP.
Terry Saxland is still around but Ron couldn't find his #. He said he'd dig it out and pass it on when he does, or even better, he'd ask Terry if he knew anything regarding the frame used.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:58:50 PM by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
, Ron couldn't shed any further light on the subject, his take being that he thought that the bike had been a total stocker but that "he wouldn't be surprised if it was a CMS as we knew Charley".

When did they know him - before or after late72/early73? That could be significant.

firko

« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
When did they know him - before or after late72/early73? That could be significant.
I didn't ask....it was a passing comment.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »
Thinking laterally I just spoke to Kenny Zahrt (Bultaco factory rider)in the states. Very nice man and when asked about Jims frame had no hesitation in pronouncing it a pre production MK7 frame made of chrome moly and brazed (is that how you spell it ?) together using nickle silicone bronze. He went on to say all the factory riders used these frames and that he had visited the factory in Spain and seen them being put together. Very approachable tells me he rides once a year in a charity event. He knows about VMX mag but can never find anywhere to buy it. Told him about OZVMX and encouraged him to jump on board. Cheers Jerry

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:18 AM »
   Good stuff jerry would be unreal to have "The Dart" on board a bully legend as well ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2011, 11:25:33 AM »
Yes, well done Jerry

Another of JP at Superbowl 73

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:25 PM »
Good stuff Jerry, great detective work. Here's a couple of pic's of the Kenny the "Dart" Zahrt.

Stan.
#20 Kenny Zahrt. #23 Gaylon Mosier. #55 Luke Messer. #13 Bruce Baron.#46 Bill Rubly.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:52:16 PM by Stan S »

firko

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2011, 04:29:11 PM »

Great work Jerry. One of the keys to successful research is to dig where others haven't dug before ;). Kenny's assertion that the frame was built in house at Bultaco when added to Ron Pomeroy’s belief that the frame was 'a stocker' puts a couple more nails in the 'American Made' theory. I haven't heard back from Arnie Beaman via email so I'll attempt to call him tomorrow morning. If I need to I may also give Rubio Flores a call if I can rope a young Chilean friend of the family to do my interviewing for me ‘en Espanol’.

I'm currently sick in bed with a killer tummy bug which has given me a bit of time to dig around in my books, looking for anything to do with the 1973 Bultaco team. In Frank Mellings 'The Big Leap' I found a number of references to Greeves, AJS and Bultaco works rider Malcolm Davis from Wales. It appears that he and Melling were mates, with Frank having written tests on a number of Davis' rides in the press over the years. In 1973 Davis was riding a factory supported Bultaco on the GP circuit, obviously alongside Pomeroy. On page 148 of the Big Leap Mellings discusses how the era of the 'works bike' was emerging by 1973, making it increasingly difficult to succeed on a production bike.......
"The chance of Malcolm Davis's Bultaco beating the Yamaha of Hakan Anderson and the Suzuki of Joel Robert in 1973 was next to nothing. Yet Davis was clearly a GP winner on ability and his bike was a fine racing motorcycle but chances of success in a World Championship round was negligible because the gap between the factory exotica and his tuned production bike was simply too great to bridge. Not even a good start, a favourable track and the right frame of mind could make up for bike that didn’t have long travel suspension or a lightweight frame".

Seeing that his team mate had won the first GP of the season on what appears to be an identical bike, sends me the message that Davis may have been a bit suspicious that Pomeroy’s bike was more special than his. If indeed, Davis was riding a stocker that couldn’t compete with the works exotica yet Pomeroys could, does send a message that Pomeroy’s bike was something special. Sure Pomeroy was an outstanding rider but Davis was also a champion with GP wins under his belt so he wasn’t a mid pack punter by any means.
Perhaps Melling assumption that Pomeroy’s bike had a ‘special American made Chro-Mo frame had come via Davis?

I think we’re getting closer to solving the mystery and right now the evidence points towards the frame being a factory built lightweight pre production Mk VII style unit.
The big question in my mind now is, Why did Jim make the American Made claim when even his brother denies the truth of the statement.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
I'm currently sick in bed with a killer tummy bug which has given me a bit of time to dig around in my books…

Hey Firko, I hope that isn't a euphemism?

Seeing that his team mate had won the first GP of the season on what appears to be an identical bike, sends me the message that Davis may have been a bit suspicious that Pomeroy’s bike was more special than his.

To be honest, I think you are drawing a very long bow there. Spain was certainly Bimbos day - he could do no wrong - but to attempt to use that one day of dominance as proof of the difference between two team bikes is a bit thin. 

I don't think Jim ever replicated those two dominant rides in Spain, not too dissimilar to Marty Moates at Carlsbad. Yes I realise Jim went onto record more moto wins, but the analogy of being 'his day' holds true.

…and great to hear that Kenny Zahrt is still going strong!!

VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TooFastTim

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
I found a number of references to Greeves, AJS and Bultaco works rider Malcolm Davis from Wales.

Malcolm was Gloucester born and bred. His brother Tony was a works BSA trials rider and his father Les was long time chairman of the ACU trials sub-committee. Malcolm was also a trials rider of some note and could, on any given day, challenge the likes of Rathmell and Lampkin for a win in the British trials championship.

Greeves? Not as far as I remember. Cotton certainly.

It appears that he and Melling were mates

I doubt that. Going on my fathers opinion of Melling. My dad and Malcolm were big mates with my father being Malcolms mechanic on the GP circuit for a year.

As an aside, the UK press played up the rivalry between Malcolm and Bryan Wade and they played up to the press even coming to (pretend) blows in the paddock at one British championship event. The press lapped it up. What the press didn't know was that Malcolm, Bryan, my dad and several others trained and drank together (and the pub where they drank is still there. I checked 2.5 years ago and was surprised to find the stereophonics were live billing).

*edit* I was wrong about Greeves. Difficult to argue with a piccie:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:03:26 PM by TooFastTim »

firko

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm currently sick in bed with a killer tummy bug which has given me a bit of time to dig around in my books…
Hey Firko, I hope that isn't a euphemism
Errr..bad choice of words. Despite feeling like shit, I'm reasonably certain I'll survive. I picked up some sort of tummy thing at the weekends blues festival which, combined with passing two kidney stones since Monday, have left this big puppy a very sick and sorry individual. I've drank six litres of water so far today and I still feel dehydrated! I have a feeling that the worst has passed thank god.

Enough of me.....
To be honest, I think you are drawing a very long bow there.
Yeah, I realise that, I'm merely theorising, reading between Frank Mellings lines.

It appears that he and Melling were mates
I doubt that. Going on my fathers opinion of Melling
I based that on Franks continuous references to Davis in his writings. I didn't mean it in a bosom buddy sense, but more a sense of Frank admiring Malcolms work. He seems in awe of his talents and says so a number of times throughout his magazine articles and books. I also assumed the Welsh birthright without double checking...my blue there.

It'd be interesting to get Malcolms take on the frame situation...got any contact Tim?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:06:13 PM by firko »

Offline gordon67

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
Hi Firko,
You cannot take to your bed now,...the world awaits,.....toofastim, is right about about the davis family,they had a bike shop in the town,but both he and JP use the same practice track now....i cannot be of any help with factual info about JP but   jc,,,yourself,,,and jerry are getting there its a difficult one all the same.......Try not to ignore the clues nearer home regarding the FLOOD family and the flying scot vic allen +CHENEY  good luck guys,...excuse the lack of keyboard skills

TooFastTim

« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »
It'd be interesting to get Malcolms take on the frame situation...got any contact Tim?

Malcolm was killed in a trial by a drink-driver in 1980 if memory serves. I've been trying to hunt down Ken Sedgley for years without any success. Les died about 15 yrs ago and no idea where Tony is these days. I do have Malcs ex-wifes number somewhere. The only other bloke who could shed light is Bryan Wade who I believe now lives in Thailand.

Malcolm was a pretty good player of the press (such as it was for MX in the early '70's) so I reckon that Malc might have been cultivating Melling. Alternatively Melling was/is name dropping. Hail fellow well met and all that..

Sh&t what's Mellings real name? Buggered if I can remember. I know that Melling is his nom-de-plume

*edit* what about Vic Allen?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:24:25 PM by TooFastTim »

TooFastTim

« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
and the pub where they drank is still there. I checked 2.5 years ago and was surprised to find the stereophonics were live billing

Funny really, that pub is not 500m from where Fred and Rosemary West lived. I used to walk past that house. Scary stuff.

It was said of Malcolm that if all the w/c rounds where held in the UK he would have been world champ.