Author Topic: Highs and Lows  (Read 3525 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Highs and Lows
« on: January 27, 2011, 10:36:27 pm »
Here's an interesting thought. I was just idly contemplating the last 12 years since I've been doing the vintage dirtbike thing and mentally reviewing the highs and lows of it all. Now I am wondering what those have been for you?

The high for me was the first ever Classic Dirt. I had been out of dirtbikes pretty much for 10 years when I 'discovered' vintage in about 1998. I started buying old magazines, getting in touch with people, and began my own restoration projects. By 2000, I had even started racing again, albeit slowly. The whole thing was brand new to me then, and I read longingly of things like the Mid Ohio event in the US. And here was CD2000.

It was huge, it was fun, and it all went off under clear blue skies and bright sun. Two fantastic days of looking at beautifully restored dirtbikes, wandering in a sort of treasure trove of bits and pieces, and riding around on a couple of simple old grasstracks. Perfect.

The low? Hmmm... there's been a few things that haven't gone well, but probably the Classic DT Nats at Wagga stands out. My TM125 was nowhere near prepared and turned out to be barely able to get out of its  own way, relegating me to a distant last place. And the Husky 500 broke after a handful of practice laps. What I'd hoped would be a great weekend of racing was anything but. I had fun spectating though.

My biggest regret from the past 12 years is probably selling the Husky 500. Beautiful bike to look at and to ride, but I hated racing it cos it was so hard to start. Still, I wish I'd kept it, just to look at and take along to Classic Dirt.

On the positive side though, there have been MANY more highs than lows.

I've loved it all.

Offline gordon67

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Highs and Lows
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:29:14 am »
Hi Graeme,
A youngster like you should have a 360 pursang then it would be all highs.....all you would need would be a mikuni instead of the amal and the world is your oyster ........preferably pre 75...go for it.

DR

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:57:14 am »
Graeme, I can't say I've had any real lows in relation to vintage dirt bikes. It's all been good (the odd break down included) It even has a name, experience! 8) Lows aren't really lows, just an education of types ;)

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 06:37:37 am »
Yeah it's hard to pick a low in vmx. Worst day riding is better than the best day at work. Hey , that's got the makings of a bumper sticker. Too late  ::). I guess a rock to the nose was a bit of a bummer for me. Winning at Coffs nat's was a true highlight.

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 06:38:32 am »
Graeme,
My highs are many Coffs Nationals, all CDs that I have made it to ,15 year WA anniversary ,Honda Bike Bonanza and meeting all VMX guys at very many events that I have attended over the past 12 years

Lows Eye injury causing Blindness for a year, Selling my YZ 250 D (what was I thinking), Crashing out at Broadford Nationals, Blowing up my XL at 2007 Tassie Nationals and not meeting everyone at vmx events.

Cheers
fatboy

Ps good topic Graeme

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:47:06 am »
Cd's of course! How could I forget that. They are my yearly highlight.
Going to Farleigh rates well also.

TM BILL

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:04:42 am »
Highs are the awesome people ive met and the CDs ive been too  ;D lows none as yet  :)

ted

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »
Graeme...So does this mean you may be in the market for a 500 that is very pleasing to the eye, rare and so easy to start. Special price for you.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:13:25 pm »
Ted - that's a thread hijack  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 04:10:55 pm »
Heh, if I win lotto sometime soon maybe! As for thread highjacks, that is specifically mentioned in the Forum Rules, coming very soon.

But I must say that Husky was about the best dirtbike I've ever ridden. And I really miss it. Still, I used to think that my long ago IT175G was the best dirtbike I'd ever ridden, until I restored one and went for a ride. And it feels like a slightly soggy, slowish trailbike. I think that's cos nowadays I ride in the bush on an 05 YZ125.

That said... as far as bikes I've owned and ridden, the Husky is the High for me. If only I could have started the thing easily.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:41 pm »
As for thread highjacks, that is specifically mentioned in the Forum Rules, coming very soon.
:D  ;D  ;)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:08 pm »
VMX people and the intricate but effective classic racing buddy system  ;D  ;)

Travelling all over this beautiful country to VMX
Catching up with people @ VMX

Hitting your finger with a hammer during a rebuild  :'(
cheers A

Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 05:32:19 pm »
After working on old house and old car resto's, restoring old dirt bikes has been a breath of fresh air. Getting back into riding after 23 yrs off has been great fun too. The best part by far though has been all the great people i've met.

mainline

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 05:39:08 pm »
except Nathan

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
When l first started in 1990, l heard that their was a bunch of fellows going to  run a vintage motocross at barrabool geelong, a flame lite up inside me and l new this was for me to sink me teeth into, a couple of years prior l lost my son at 3 years old and l was in the doldrums, so the high of it all, it help me climb back up the ladder other wise if l hadn`t who would know where l be today, so my thoughts where to find a vintage bike and the first one that came along was the Montesa Vr, fixed it up with brand new parts and off to Barrabool, their was no time to put new handle bars on it so l used a set of bicycle skidbar, it was the worst thing I could have done, but was the best thing that happen to me, l had a great time, and it saved my life, in 1996 l started a vintage mag called classic dirt bike market, and that was a high for me until another blow can and my wife l seperated and l was back in the shit again. But you have to keep going and its worked out for the best. The highs for me was starting the (MAV Vintage Committee) with 10 fellow members, and the Classic scramble with 2 other Members Rod Mc Donald and Stewart Young, and just being involved and racing when l can, the vintage Nationals and Honda Bonanza and club level race meetings also a high at the time which l loved was being involved with VMX Mag, but that was short lived. Those are the breaks, I just love vintage Racing and the memories and meeting old race mates and new ones and the joy of helping others to get involved.
Please lets keep this sport alive.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:54:28 pm by Swedish Connection »