Author Topic: Is it just me in my old age?  (Read 11311 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me in my old age?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:29:47 pm »
Black Sorrows and Jo..............9 more sleeps  :P
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:14 am »
lead zeplin, deep purple , black sabath my parents hated it but the new? stuff ,I would rather listen to a Harley ride past
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 10:09:05 am »
Now the sorrows , just gotta love JOE. and i thought meat loaf was something you ate when you can't afford steak, Give me Robben Ford or SRV maybe some Big and Rich Yeeha
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2011, 10:22:46 am »
mary j blige on the pc now as i type she sings 2 led zep songs not to bad
stairway to heaven
whole lotta love
i like all types of music
fav is zztop

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »
The bands I saw when I was a kid!
Jethro Tull, Led Zep , Sabbath, Canned Heat , Railroad Jin ,Carol Loyd Band , Matt Taylor, Tom Waits, Deep Purple , Steppenwolf , George Thorogood and more.
Every one of them was good.
Used to go to the Qld Uni,they had some brilliant bands there.
There was DJ,s in the valley where the new bands would play Saturday arvo. FREE entry.
Always missed AC-DC tho, bummer.
 I really miss those days. Everything was new and exciting , including the bikes, the racing , the mates, the music.
Poo
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:09:14 am by Mike52 »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline gordon67

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 07:31:07 am »
Hi Mike
sounds like you are in a nostalgic mood,,,I dont have an answer to that one,...I live in the past all the time but when entertainers and polititions have similar traits i know its time to have another beer....i feel its no good trying yo stop the clock i need it to be still ticking when i wake in the mornings......Time for another beer Mike

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2011, 07:56:18 am »
i only seem to be able to find one thing wrong with most modern,dance club,rap.the end of the song is to far away from the beginning.

green day,paramore,sex pistols,g.b.h,dead kennedys,peter and the test tube babies.sorry just an old punk.cheers gary

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2011, 08:38:17 am »
You all sound like your father did, rubbishing the new stuff as the old stuff he listened to was the shit. Same shit , different era. And didn't it piss you off when your cool hip music was getting a bagging from the older generation. Just like on here!
Yo DJ, spin that shit... :D

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 09:16:06 am »
i still listen to mostly the same stuff i did when i was young except green day and paramore they wern't around then.my eldest daughter introduced me to paramore she's 17 and sings some of there songs at performances she does.hard,loud and fast=good.cheers gary

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 11:39:09 am »
This thread is a lot of fun....
 I pride myself in having a fairly wide interest in all kinds of music, however some of the stuff just mentioned does not fit real well in the category. plus some performers really grate on my nerves and I find it wierd that a lot of people think that James Blunt is a good song writer and performer.
 I also find it wierd that some stuff, I find I should detest [by my usual taste] I actually enjoy.
 I like stuff from split ends and anything written by those writers [I forget thier names] and writers like Kriss Kristofferson ,Willy Nelson, Casey Chambers, etc.
I appreciate great old timers like Perry Como, Johnny Mathis,Tony Bennett to mention a few and others with not the same tonal quality but amazing tecnique e.g. Willy Nelson. I was not a fan of Sinatra until I started doing a bit of stage singing myself THEN I started to learn about phrasing
 If anyone thinks that the stuff put on by commercial radio is the bees knees do yourself a favour and start listening to community radio where you are likely to get a lesson on what great talent there is out there in the real Australia, instead of that commercially promoted crap. cheers pancho
 Alright, I Know, my musical tastes were being formed in the '40s and '50s.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:51 am »
i also did a lot rodie work when i lived in sydney and some of the talent on stage from no name people put a lot of commercial bands to shame.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 12:20:25 pm »
and writers like Kriss Kristofferson

I dont know how many times I've watched the movie  A Star is Born with Barbara Striesand(some crazy song named after her now--techno crap.I wonder what she thinks of it .  :)
Time I watched it again  8)
I grew up with Barbara -mum still sings her songs while playing guitar  :-*
cheers A
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:22:57 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »
I was not a fan of Sinatra until I started doing a bit of stage singing myself THEN I started to learn about phrasing
That's it Wal....You're up for a Sinatra set at the next Penrith club piss up. ;D
You all sound like your father did
So true, I think we're all guilty of favouring the music that helped form our teen years. I'm as guilty as anyone else and while I can't relate to much of the music the Gen X & Y folks like, every now and again something gets through that I thinks pretty good.

The major cultural (as opposed to musical) difference between todays music and the stuff my generation grew up with is that today, musicianship seems to have taken a secondary role to studio production technique. In the sixties and seventies we all had a favourite guitarist or would rave about this sax solo or that drum lick. People like Jimi Hendrix, Carlos Santana or Rick Wakeman didn't achieve stardom because their music was cool to dance to, they did it through their breakthrough musicianship. Today's dance oriented, studio controlled scene no longer seems to need individual musical innovators. It's ironic and a bit sad that old farts like Carlos Santana are still revered as musical icons.....

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 12:52:34 pm »
Jeez I'll say ! I saw him on a youtube clip guesting with Tower of Power at Montreux and it showed what a one-trick pony he is, it was embarrassing.  He's touring shortly, and mediocre as I find him these days, the chance to get along and see Chester Thompson on the B3 and Dennis Chambers on drums is just too tempting !  :o
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 01:31:32 pm »
This thread is a lot of fun....
 I find it wierd that a lot of people think that James Blunt is a good song writer and performer.
Yep this thread is starting to form up real good :) :) :) :) :) :)
James Blunt ???
Was he the guy on Top Gear who could drive a TANK and wasn,t too shabby in a car as well?
Got a squeeky voice. : ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.