Author Topic: Is it just me in my old age?  (Read 11303 times)

firko

Re: Is it just me in my old age?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »
It's ironic and a bit sad that old farts like Carlos Santana are still revered as musical icons.....
Jeez I'll say ! I saw him on a youtube clip guesting with Tower of Power at Montreux and it showed what a one-trick pony he is, it was embarrassing
While I kinda agree with you that Carlos is starting to be a bit of the same old same old, the point I was trying to make is how sad it is that no new guitar heroes* have come along in the last 20 years. For old Carlos to still be at the top of the pile is a sad revelation that musicianship now takes a back seat to "da beat".  I have to agree with you on Chester's mastery of the Hammond B3.

* or any outstanding musicians on any instrument that are offering us something new or unique.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »
Dunno about that one Firko, Jeff Beck is still new and fresh each time he steps out, and I saw John McLaughlin and Al di Meola last year, they continue to amaze. But in addition to these masters from the past, I've had huge nights out being blazed by Steve Vai, Satriani, and Malmsteen, all of whom push the boundaries and give you the full-body experience that used to come with every concert....and none of whom  you'll find on the pox-ridden radio... :D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 02:14:22 pm »
You all sound like your father did, rubbishing the new stuff as the old stuff he listened to was the shit. Same shit , different era. And didn't it piss you off when your cool hip music was getting a bagging from the older generation. Just like on here!
Yo DJ, spin that shit... :D
My Dad never said a word just shook his head and walked away. ???
Mum on the other hand was going to shoot me, had the gun out and all.
I think the problem was IRON MAN by Black Sabbath being repeated over and over. :) :) :) :)
That song is still so good they used it in a movie. ;D
Saw Jeff Beck too GD66.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

firko

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »
Dunno about that one Firko, Jeff Beck is still new and fresh each time he steps out, and I saw John McLaughlin and Al di Meola last year, they continue to amaze. But in addition to these masters from the past, I've had huge nights out being blazed by Steve Vai, Satriani, and Malmsteen, all of whom push the boundaries and give you the full-body experience that used to come with every concert....and none of whom  you'll find on the pox-ridden rad
Agreed, I saw Jeff Beck twice at the Enmore Theatre two years ago and he blew me away. I'd seen him a few years earlier in LA doing a fund raiser with Jimmy Vaughn for some hot rod guy with cancer as well. All of those blokes you mention are still doing great work but they're all old farts. My point is there's no new young blokes coming along to offer up something new and interesting. I really hope I'm wrong and that someone can point me in the direction of a young original muso on any instrument that can produce the goosebump moments the players GD66 mentions have.

As an aside, I saw a doco on the Ovation channel the other night showing Stephane Grapelli and Django Reinhardt in Paris in the thirties and it was amazing stuff. These guys set the bar standard for every generation of jazz players that followed.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 02:34:05 pm »
joe satriani is played quite often on mmm up here in brissy.i think its called with you with me was played on friday had it up nice and loud in my truck ;D.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 02:41:44 pm »
I'm only 40 or so, I mentioned to a mate that i'd been listening to talkback radio recently as i was jack of all of these chick and bloke combos talking crap. He gave me Johny Cash greatist hits and Johnny at Falsham prison also to listen to. I Found it very entertaining- never though i'd like that stuff. I must say i did skip a couple of the ordinary tracks. My kids call it cowboy music.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 02:51:46 pm »
Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi are at the Enmore on April 21 Firko, he'd just about qualify for young I reckon. And if you're after unknown musos with jaw-dropping skill, jump on youtube and take a peek at the bass pedal work on the B3 by Barbara Dennerlein....(who ?)... :o

Caution : may contain jazz.... ::)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:49 am »
leonard cohen,nick cave and the bad seeds

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »
?Yes ,maybe, no ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

firko

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 12:39:55 pm »

Hmmmm..music to murder your mum to. ::)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 12:48:59 pm »

Hmmmm..music to murder your mum to. ::)

Better than Coldplay… music for bedwetters!!  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:08 pm »
the point I was trying to make is how sad it is that no new guitar heroes* have come along in the last 20 years.

* or any outstanding musicians on any instrument that are offering us something new or unique.

Au contraire TOM MORRELLO from Rage against the Machine has a unique style and sound, I've seen doco's where guitarists like Stevie Vai put big wraps on him.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2011, 03:13:31 pm »
went and seen leonard cohen a couple of years ago best concert i have been to ,the show was that long it had a good intermision,plenty of time for both kinds of smoke -made the 2nd half even better ;D but gave excellent value for money- wasnt on for 1hr and that was it well worth seeing

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2011, 03:54:38 pm »
I saw a show on telly some time ago called 'me & Step' with one of oz's jazz names, what that old man could get out of his violin was 'mazing- And he was sitting down.
 I like Hank Marvins work, but one of the all time great guitar men had to be Chet atkins.
 There was some dude playing a piece on radio that was used frequently as a fill-in late 60's the piece was Orange Blossom Special picked out close to the speed of sound and whenever I'm in an old record shop I look for it. I thought it was that bloke that had the tv show 'hoedown', knowing he could play anything on anything but I can't find it on the internet.
 Going back in history the only person that got me to the old Stadium to spend any meagre left-overs from apprentice pay was
 Spike Jones! cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

firko

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2011, 04:18:33 pm »
went and seen leonard cohen a couple of years ago best concert i have been to
We saw him on the same tour at the Hungerford Winery open air show. The old bugger was brilliant I must admit. His music is often depressing though ;D
Spike Jones!
Now you're really dating yourself Wal ;D We've got a video of Spike Jones performing back in the forties and he's a crack up. Funny shit. I can remember going with my parents to see Nat 'King 'Cole at the Sydney Stadium. I cried and whinged my way all the way through it to the point that my mum had to go outside with me and missed most of the gig. I can remember it clearly which is odd considering I was only four at the time ???.
I like Hank Marvins work, but one of the all time great guitar men had to be Chet atkins.
I recall seeing a doco about 15 years ago which featured a jam with Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins, Hank Marvin and Ry Cooder (plus some others including James Burton, Elvis's guitarist). They were sitting in a circle in a studio just jamming and I clearly remember being impressed by Marvins picking. Prior to that I'd dismissed him as a pop lightweight like his mate Cliff Richards, but the bloke can really play. I think you'd have to to sit in with the crew he was with that day. ;)