Author Topic: Ugly thick powdercoat  (Read 12734 times)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
Re: Ugly thick powdercoat
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 11:12:53 am »
If you have seen or had a bad job? Common sense tells you not to go there again. Doesn’t matter if it was a Doctor, Builder, Tiler or powder-coater.

It is a bit harsh to generalise and slag a whole industry because you or your mate had a bad result with an amateur.

A lot of the beginning of frame cracks are not visible until blasted or Dye checked.
A lot of cracks don't show until blasted, they tell you via your mobile.

cost out;
paint stripper
gloves, goggles
wet and dry
packet of finger band aids
primer
thinners
enamal(for a wall hanging)
more thinners and cleaning up
or two pack and hardener and yeah specialized thinners and more clean up
rubbing back the fingers between coats.

For me me it spells, "false economy"

How is your Life measured when you have to do things that shit you?
Life is time and time is money, lets see the costing figures on that. Me, I do frame repairs and then hand it professional powder coaters. Blast and one super tough thin bonded coat please. Thank you.

Spot on Mick

I think we fall into the false economy trap in a lot of things.

And a good blaster will be on the look out for you.
I recently got a call that a frame had a crack show up after it was blasted.
It’s comforting to know the guys take notice of what their doing.
FWIW Campbellfield Powder Coaters
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Beautiful Tough Thin Powdercoat
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
Funny the path to a success sometimes.

Took a bike job in last week. Owner needs both wheels rebuild. It is basically a black and chrome bike, so he wants to switch to black rims at the same time, stainless spokes,etc.

I stripped the wheels. We got a price on new black rims ::)

With all this powder coating discussion fresh in my mind, I thought what the hell, the old silver scratched rims are straight enough, so lets try powder coating and dropped them out to Pro Strip, Newcastle

We have literally saved a small fortune. The owner is absolutely wrapped with the quality of the job and so am I. Thin as, the spoke nipples fit straight in without any hassle. You can still read the ID writing etc, nothing thick about this job. Absolutely perfect.

We are so happy, we realized in hind sight that we should have asked them if it is possible to do this stuff as well? Any how worse that can happen is they so no. We will find out this week

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:22:12 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »
Looks good.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:00 pm »
Sure looks good to me, have a set of CZ hubs to pick up this week that I hope come out looking as good

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »
bit late and down the track but I have to agree with Davy - I started out as a sandblaster/spraypainter too many years ago to mention - our systems we so good (dry and wet blasting) we could actually take a layer of paint off only - obviously still need to touch up below but that is how little a sandblaster can remove if set up and run correctly.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:33 pm »

" tony 27 "  Can you post a picture of you CZ hubs when you get them back and let us know if you are happy with the colour, also let us know the the powder name and code, i'm interested in doing the hubs  off my side piper.
                      Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline steveo247

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:28 pm »
i took a frame to my local blaster, i think they just took it out back and threw rocks at it until the paint was off. it was bloody horrible. that rim looks mint i might have to try pro strip!

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Beautiful thin powder coat.
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2011, 03:49:15 am »
Finally a little time for this job again ::)

I am sure the operators at Pro Strip will know exactly what to do with these hubs.

But I did a couple of things that might make it easier for them to give me exactly what I want.

They can hang the hubs from either end.

Correct interference fits of internal bearing and seal surfaces are protected from blasting media and paint by welsh plugs.

I obviously just halved a couple of lengths of brooker rod, formed some hooks on ends. Protective loose fitting pipe sleeves will keep paint away from threads of tightening nuts. So we can use the set up over and over again.

Its all in the owners boot now. So I will post a picture of the rear arrangement when it returns.

Patent Pending :D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:39:00 am by MICK-DE »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2011, 04:17:26 am »
i took a frame to my local blaster, i think they just took it out back and threw rocks at it until the paint was off. it was bloody horrible. that rim looks mint i might have to try pro strip!

Yes I know what you mean Steveo. Many many moons ago I took a CZ frame to a grave head stone mason for blasting. I was shattered >:(

I spray puttied and sanded etc, etc, etc. Black enameled it. By the the time I had it half together, there was paint chipped of every where. It was shit. So broken hearted, I gave up on it.

I recently got Pro Strip to repair it with a coat of Falta red. They did an excellent job, really really thin. I will try to get a picture on this week.

Cheers, Mick.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:44:50 am by MICK-DE »

maicoman

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 09:33:37 am »
Those rims look pretty flash there Mick-De. I was thinking of the same idea on my current build but I managed to locate some good rims. What a great way to bring life back into old rims. My YZ400 frame, hubs clamps were powder coated by a local guy here in Camden. They were already done when I bought the bike and seemed to hold up well. Personally I prefer to paint only because I love using the gun. I also love the smell of thinners :) I have been known to be called THE SNIFFER over the years.
  I generally like to use good old air dry enamel with a small % of hardner thrown in. I also use 2pak from Protec paints here in Sydney. Their product is really good and I like their range of etch primer.
 Here is my current build IT465H White Knight

firko

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 10:52:12 am »
 I was at my mates place on Sunday, checking out his (extremely) long term project HL Yamaha and was surprised to see that he'd had his rims powder coated. The wheels hadn't been fitted with tyres yet which prompted me to wonder how powdercoated rims will withstand tyre iron abuse? He's having his tyres fitted by machine at the bike shop to lessen the chances of damage. I personally think that powdercoating rims offers too big a possibility for damage, especially during the tyre change process. I'll stick to anodizing or polishing my rims being the old school good 'ol boy that I am. 8)

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 03:13:15 pm »
tony  lot of Chez Zed hubs painted in that "wrinkle" gold in unzud looks original
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2011, 04:48:41 pm »
The powdercoater is planning on doing a custom mix to lighten the gold closer to the correct colour, most will tell you it's not possible but he's done it quite a few times before

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2011, 04:54:01 pm »
The wheels hadn't been fitted with tyres yet which prompted me to wonder how powdercoated rims will withstand tyre iron abuse? He's having his tyres fitted by machine at the bike shop to lessen the chances of damage.

you could try them plastic covers they slip on the bead.  the rood bikes use them when they cjange over tyres, and im sure they are powdercoated alloy ?  you get like 3 vclips on a bit of string and you slip them on the bead of the rim and you lever off at 3 points, looks prity simple to me and they swear by them.  id say more cance of a slip up on a tyre machine as the tool rins on the rim if it or the wheel is out of round at al point  ,  and then poooof off chips the paint !
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2011, 08:19:08 am »
Must say those rims look good and a nice light coat great job ,but i still like paint probably cause i can do it myself and for me the whole idea of doing up a bike is doing as much of the work myself.If every thing goes to plan i can post some pics of my soon to be project.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!