Author Topic: Franken Bikes  (Read 6200 times)

Offline T250K

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Franken Bikes
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:55:54 am »
I'm interested in these things, and almost bought a Franken AW 250 out of the U.S. a couple of years ago the last time our dollar was high, but it was a dull Gold all over except for the tank and looked crude  compared to what you guys are building.    What are the rules or guidelines that make a bike a ' Franken, ' as compared to just another customised Maico  ???     

Captain Bilko

Re: Franken Bikes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 09:10:05 am »
Not knowing a lot about the Maico pschyc, I think the following points are critical. Take a perfectly good 1979 Maico 400/440 and

a. Regardless of how good the standard motor is (and I'm sure they were good), you have to drop in a reed-valved 490 mutha.
b. Piss off the 38mm forks in favour of the 42mm jobbies (you'll probably need an '83 model to desicrate as well).
c. Find a girder off of some disused bridge (preferably a European bridge) and beld/weld/grind/bribe until it'll comply as a swinging arm.
f. Find a third year Arts Grad student on crack-cocaine to decide a colour scheme for said beast.

Hope this helps.  :)

Captain Bilko

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:15:04 am »
I can just picture a television advert in about the year 2050. A small boy stands in a field holding an old mans hand. Both gaze out into the land.

"Grandad. Whatever happened to all the '79 400 Maicos?"
"Sorry son. They were all turned into Frankenwhorst...." :'(

:-X
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:25:11 am by 66M »

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 09:16:13 am »
  :) :) :) :) :)

Thats Hilarious,keep em coming

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 09:16:56 am »
i dont know what to say yet im haveing a fit :o

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 09:35:09 am »
 :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
I reckon my young bloke made something like that out of his Leggo stuff. I can picture something like this..
A spectator walking around the pits spots a yellow Maico and says "nice 400". The owner begins with an enthusiastic "No no, it's a Franken bike! It's a '79 chassis with a 490 engine, reed valve, modified blah blah blah, cost a million and 2 years to do blah blah blah, better than the factory blah blah blah." The spectator begins to walk off muttering "still just a breako, wonder if it'll finish a race..."
Sorry Paul & Brad, all in good fun. At least it keeps you off the streets.
Cheers,
K
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:42:18 am by bigk »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:41:06 am »
ive got a stock 78 in bits just in case the become rare  :P

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:45:51 am »
That's all right bigk. I can give as good if not better than I get. At least there is no Dulux resto going on in Maico land  :P
I'm building a bike from a bare frame I rescued from the depths of a shed and am making two bikes out of one. No bike was harmed in the resto process.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 09:49:59 am »
I'm interested in these things, and almost bought a Franken AW 250 out of the U.S. a couple of years ago the last time our dollar was high, but it was a dull Gold all over except for the tank and looked crude  compared to what you guys are building.    What are the rules or guidelines that make a bike a ' Franken, ' as compared to just another customised Maico  ???     
Legality wise, it is an evo bike so keep within those guide lines.
The rest is your taste and how deep you want to reach into your pocket. The fashion police will keep you in line regarding the look  :D

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:47 am »
78 /79 frame
490 engine
81 swing arm
81 forks and tripples
any colour you like
and bling if you are so inclinded

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:41 am »
no coach bolts

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:16 am »
What about japanese parts?...Frankenbike san :o.....Yankenbike.....Sankenbike....Kankenbike....Hankenbike....or am I just being silly? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

firko

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:48 am »
The whole 'Frankenbike' thing started in California in the early days of Evo. Some genius decided that if the best Maico frame was fitted with the best Maico engine and suspension...the result should be the Best Maico. The best one I've seen took it one step further and had Yamaha 43mm forks and twin leading front brake thrown into the mix. They're not for everyone but for those who like their bikes a bit on the hot rod side of things, they an ideal racer.

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2011, 10:35:23 am »
What about japanese parts?...Frankenbike san :o.....Yankenbike.....Sankenbike....Kankenbike....Hankenbike....or am I just being silly? ;D
I think you have been hitting the Saki.