Author Topic: Franken Bikes  (Read 6198 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Franken Bikes
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2011, 11:06:32 am »
I would actually like to ride a Frankenfurt back to back with a well set up '81 490 to see the difference. I imagine it would be subtle and is it enough to make it worth the effort? Couldn't really fault the power delivery or handling '81 490 I had, just a tad hard to live with the clutch maintenance. What advantage does the earlier chassis have over the '81 chassis? Personally I have an intense dislike for the look of the '78/'79 fuel tank but even more so the for the IMO horrid side plates.
K

firko

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2011, 11:46:52 am »
I reckon you're right on the Magnum looks K....they're a bit on the fugly side, especially the '79. The side panels on the '78 look a lot better though but there's not much you can do with the tank, although I've seen Frankenbikes with both 83ish Husky and Suzuki RM A/B alloy tanks and they looked pretty good to me with Maico graphics. I had a '78 400 Magnum enduro and an '82 490 twin shocker enduro at the same time for a few months until I could sell the Magnum and even though it's been 30 years, I recall enjoying the neutral handling of the '78 much better. A lot of that had to do with the softer power delivery of the 400 engine over the brutish reed valve 490 but I think the neutral habits of the magnum were reassuring. It went where it was pointed and it more often than not turned bad riders into good ones because it prompted you to go that 'little' bit faster because of its good manners. You had to be on top of your game on the 490.  Geoff Ballard reckons the Magnum to be the best Maico of all and the often discarded 38mm forks to be better than the 41mm versions.

The only Franken bike I've ridden was a friends 250 version in the US about 15 years ago and I didn't find it to be all that ground breaking. Perhaps it was the '81 250 engine being a bit disapointing....I'd just finished riding the owners monster power 750 Triumph Metisse so the 250 was a bit tame when compared.

I also wonder about whether the fitting the longer '81 swingarm might take away some of the handling traits that make the Magnum so distinctive over the '81?

Just thinking aloud. ;D

maicostu

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 06:34:13 pm »
Better not say anything
But you all know what I'm thinking

maico stu

firko

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 06:55:15 pm »
Go on...you know you want to Stu....let me have it matey.

maicostu

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »
No Firko
I luv 79,s
I luv the tanks

the two loves of my life my is the 79 and the dog ( german shep of coase )

And whats with the yamaha fork thing 42mm maico forks are great
Dont understand that either

Maico Stu

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 07:18:07 pm »
No Firko
I luv 79,s
I luv the tanks

the two loves of my life my is the 79 and the dog ( german shep of coase )

Maico Stu
You know the story Stu, Yamaha forks + Yamaha front wheel = BRAKES

firko

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 07:35:52 pm »
Unfortunately I don't get your point Stu.....Taste is a funny but individual thing. I think they're a bit plain yet you like the look of 'em. No big deal. I was just offering my opinion and agreeing with Big K, not kicking Magnums into the gutter. In truth, I agree with you...I love '78 Magnums (I prefer the earlier side panels ....there's that ornery taste thing popping up again!) and although I prefer Staffys I like German Shephards too. Isn't it great when we're all on the same page? ;D
I'd also stick with the Maico forks but the builder of the bike I was referring to built it out of leftovers, I guess the IT forks fitted into his financial and availability parameters plus the added bonus of a working brake is a handy option. Building these kind of bikes doesn't have any rules of etiquette...you can use whatever parts you like as long as it fits the Evo rules. Is there a Frankenbike Journal I should be reading here?

Anything else I can help you with Stu before I go out for dinner?

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 08:21:02 pm »
for sale stu  ;) just waiting on the pipe and muffler
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 08:29:18 pm by paul »

maicostu

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »
Thats what I'm taking about ;D ;D ;D ;D

ugly ?

Sold

Maico Stu

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 10:52:38 am »
That one looks OK, what sideplates are they?
K

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 11:44:31 am »
78 style side covers

East Coast Maico

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »
Paul. Looks good. i have another  frankenbike but no photobucket to post pick.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 01:07:49 pm »
bill if you send the picture to me i will post it here ;)