Author Topic: RM80C- what should i do..  (Read 10423 times)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
Re: RM80C- what should i do..
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 09:55:34 am »
Just a bit unsure which way to go, restore, make into a period hottie, tidy up and resell ?
ANY of those is a valid and correct action. Any VMX Suzuki, regardless of model or size, is worth bringing back to life.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:06:00 am »
80cc VMX racing for children (up to 15) is fine Monaro, and as it should be, just not with adults. Pre '80 mini's is already run here in Vic and has about 3-5 runners on mostly hotted up, long travel XR's. I imagine it's great for the those few participating but all it is is pit bike racing on old bikes. I don't know what the answer is as I doubt there are too many kids interested in racing something they have no affinity with.
K

monaro308

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 11:47:07 am »
80cc VMX racing for children (up to 15) is fine Monaro, and as it should be, just not with adults. Pre '80 mini's is already run here in Vic and has about 3-5 runners on mostly hotted up, long travel XR's. I imagine it's great for the those few participating but all it is is pit bike racing on old bikes. I don't know what the answer is as I doubt there are too many kids interested in racing something they have no affinity with.
K

I'm just playing along BigK and i know what you are saying as its up to the parents racing and those involved to push the kids a little.
Even a minibike display at the meetings would put a few smiles on any kids face...big or small.
It saddens me that the bikes we started on dont get the respect they deserve,but thats just me.
Anyway workcare and insurance would kill the idea of an adult on a mini....but they love taking our money ;)

DR

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 02:27:36 pm »

Back in the day 8) 165cm and 50kgs is my average height/weight here and now. Depending on the season the weight goes up or down a few kilos but 50 is a happy medium ;) Mighty Stickman!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 02:29:46 pm by Doc »

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:22 pm »
Woohoo! certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons!! seriously though, i too would be way too big (read too fat) , to ride one, but i reckon i will bring my 80b along to viper meetings to show off once its done. Great pics once again Bear, love the late 70's suzook minis. Hey Doc, just how many little ones do you have grazing away in the shed?? KB thanks for the offer, i think Big K has a set for me, but if not i will take you up on that offer.Cheers, Bill
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Captain Bilko

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 09:20:07 pm »
Well I'm gunna give it a crack. Andrea Matherson was racing an 80 now and then (and winning) and I think he might have the President of Ballarat Rovers at the time (if I'm thinking right) and he wasn't much smaller than he is now.... ;)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 10:03:12 pm »
a

I'd love to join ya on the start line on this Ross , :-\ But the last time i had a decent blast on this little fella i ended up KO'd and in the back the meat wagon   :-[
 Not much different to what happened last time out on its big brother i spose  :-\

DR

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 12:12:12 am »
 :o Seems some of the worst injuries are done on the smallest bikes eh KB!

I really don't think adults racing on mini's is such a great idea health wise but, if an older type person chooses to do so I don't believe they should be excluded simply because of wheel size, Unless they're clearly much slower and a real danger to the other riders then I can't see how/why a few 80's in with the 125's would cause any real drama's, excepting if you got your arse whipped by one that is >:(  :D

Events such as Classic Dirt could allow adults on mini's (maybe they do already ? :P) BUT, only on the pre'75/novice track and not out with the 250's/500's and such. Just my perspective.

311, my mini collection totals about 11 (atm) but half of these are 50's. No resto's amongst them and some need a little finishing off but they are all pretty correct for their respective era's and absolutely nothing is above being ridden if/when possible :)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:32:32 am by Doc »

Captain Bilko

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2011, 07:05:01 am »

I reeeaaaaally like this one Doc. It says something to me about the mini's of this era. They were everything that their bigger brothers were.

There's nothing nicer than beating people on a bike that people scoff at (cough, cough)..... :D

DR

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2011, 07:45:16 am »
66, I totally agree 8) The '81ish-'86 era was brilliant for 'real' mini replica's I reckon. I love my 80B but have to admit the '82 is the fav amongst what I have. On the hunt for preferably an '85 as I NEED a kettle and the '85 was the last of the drum brake jobs still with the nice Z styling.

The '82 needs the rear shock regassed, a carb to airbox rubber and a couple of new tyres for it to be a goer. Rebuilt the engine years ago but it's never been started. also has '83D rear suspension and gold wheels fitted ;)

monaro308

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2011, 09:45:41 am »
That is a great collection there Chris.
Even though i was a YZ80 kid the floater 80 got my attention especially with that x link setup of the floater.
Was it because of space issues ie air cooled and airbox??....but then the w/cooled came out with the same set up and maybe suzook couldn't see the point in rejigging a new frame and linkage set up.
Plus big brother RM's came out with the new floater setup again in '86
The TS or something had it as well from memory,but what other suzook had that x link??
I still have a w-bottle RM80 bottom end that i've kept for 15+ years after a mates kid destroyed his top end and supplied another engine-less electrics for me to change.He sold it straight after but i kept the bottom end and never checked how good it is.....infact i've never checked what model its from,but will check it later today.

66,is there another way of re-doing/machining the steering shaft to take a different seal set up and keep the water in on your 80 J ? I read some mod years ago that couldn't be seen and worked well.

If anyone has an 83 YZ80K pipe for sale in the future let me know as i will need one in a few months when the K goes back together.
cheers...Mario

edit...just saw your TSX250 Doc regarding the floater link ;) thats the bike i was on about.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 06:45:55 pm by monaro308 »

Captain Bilko

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
I'm not sure about doing anything with the steering head Mario. If I can't get the seals or get some to suit I'll have to look at something else.
I have a pipe which came with another motor and it runs up the RHS of the bike (the J is on the left). It may be a K pipe. I'll send you a pic of it (if I remember to get one when I'm over the shed ::)). You can have it if you think it is one...

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2011, 01:23:27 pm »
Events such as Classic Dirt could allow adults on mini's (maybe they do already ? :P) BUT, only on the pre'75/novice track and not out with the 250's/500's and such.

There where a few out on both tracks at CD7 Doc,one of the few was the guy with the bubble faced helmet doing some crazy antics,  :-\
There are also a few featured in Roger Harveys CD7 book on the sixth last page.
I reckon they have as much right as there big brothers & sister,maybe they could one day be the feature bike.
Long live the 80's  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

DR

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2011, 07:19:14 am »
Mario, yup, I was going to reply yesterday. The TSX was the only other with that type of linkage (unless they fitted it to roadies too ?) Seems to work quite well, don't really think about rear much when riding which is a good thing I suppose :P very plush on the TSX even with my light weight :)

I've an RM80 w/cooled cylinder here Luke kindly sent me that may fit your bottom end if you want. If you don't want it, as always, Doc would be interested in anything remotely RM80 (stupidly obvious thing to say.. ::)) Think the barrel is '83-'86ish but I'd have to double check. I have a freshly powdercoated RM80D chassis as well and probably wheels and other smaller bits..not quite enough to do anything with but good spares depending what model I can find to resurect ;)

monaro308

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2011, 10:44:56 am »
Hi Chris,i checked the eng# on that 80 bottom end and it shows C105 100708.
I've checked our usual source for eng # and come up blank  ???
Did a google and only 1 thing came up as C105 being an 84 but that wasn't convincing enough for me.
I don't know how many changes were made to the 80 engine during that period...probably very minor.
I was going to build it up for the kart but found the YZ80K and used that and i honestly think that i will never use it,but i bet my left knacker that if it i sell it an RM80D,E,F or was it XH they went to..i can't remember and the Big Wheel job was around too wasn't it?? turns up on my doorstep (doubt it).
I won't sell it to you but i will give it to you to as 99.9999999% ownership and i'd rather you get that D roller on the go than it sitting for another 15+ years doing SFA....is it a deal?  ;)
If you or anyone you know is coming down to HBBB i can leave it with them when the time comes.
Postage can be a last choice.
Cheers Mario