Author Topic: the rain  (Read 48768 times)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
Re: the rain
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2011, 10:09:53 pm »
I flew into Brisbane at 9am and headed to the CBD where the river was rising fast. Taxi driver said that in the time he'd driven out to the airport and back it was visibly higher.
By the time I left at 1pm to fly back to Sydney, the river was about to top the banks. It's big.
Some of the customers I was with said they have all been ordered home and nobody to come in for the next few days. Traffic heading out was massive. It was still raining when I left and they were about to open the dam, I believe.
If you visit Brisbane, pack gum-boots and a canoe!

Luke

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:23 pm »
 Please Take lots and lots of care northern friends. :(   Rosco hope I see it at the SSRaV Classic Titles  or the HBBB a little later on this year.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »
Jackie Mac and partner Gary had to be rescued as their house went under. Not good for them. The shed with bikes is under and the house is either under now or soon will be. Sounds like they are totally wiped out but insured at least. And they are safe and in good spirits. She said it came from behind them, as they were watching the river rise and blocked their exit. Had to get out via their boat. Unbelievable.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2011, 10:51:58 pm »
Any one know how vandy is  ?
vandy's all good.
high and dry, still with power and water but that could change.
off to bed soon,
thanks for the concern Ian
"flat bickie"

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 12, 2011, 01:36:53 am »
To all our northern friends, take care and we are all thinking of you in this time.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

DR

« Reply #95 on: January 12, 2011, 06:49:59 am »
blue sky and sun in Brisbane this morning with only a little rain overnight..a welcome relief of sorts but the river is still a big problem for many ;) sorry to hear about Jackie Mac and co., I'd hate to watch everything go under and even worse when I doubt any of my stuff except the structure is covered by insurance. Hope you can all get back to some sort of normality asap.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2011, 08:08:16 am »
Yea, I cant believe it Doc....blue skies, not a cloud in sight. Over night at Jimboomba where I live the Logan river has snuck up a couple of metres (didnt rain last night aswell) blocking the Mt Linsay highway more at Jimboomba creek with back up water, so was the long way around to work. Will be getting the boys to put most of our tools on the mezzanine today to prepare incase the workshop gets flooded this afternoon or toomorrow as we cop it from the Oxley creek which has already flooded Rocklea. Mother nature is definately a female.....unpredictable and doesnt give a shit who's in the way. If the rain stops for the next few days it will save alot of Brisbane as the ground has absorbed as much water as it can take so now it's just running off the top. The roads are like swiss cheese theres that many holes. Not a good way to start the year. I just hope no one else gets killed or injured.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 12, 2011, 09:29:27 am »
just spoke to Louise, Geoff udys wife and they are all well at this point. geoff is out on a quad looking for lost people around Grantham and Withcott-about 70 or more missing.
The new Toowoomba shop flooded but they had the quads and stufff all out and the Gatton shop appears to be ok at the moment so some good news.
The water is lapping at my workshops back carpark so that means Vern Graysons welding shop is under water and they say it will come up another 3 metres with the high tide and expect another 3 meters on top of that tomorrow, again at high tide.
Should be safe here so I will head home soon to see how they are.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:40 am »
Yeah sh** just saw SA's predicted weather. Not looking good either for the comming days. Better not be as bad as it was in December :'( i had heard that  there was a long range forcast for storms like we had in December for early january but i thought it was for last week and had been and gone.
It wont get much media coverage ,though there is nothing quiet awesome as the sexual revolution of flora and fauna in our Australian outback after a big rain  8)

EML ,just watched old flood footage of Brisbane,back in 70's & 90's Has the same bike shop seen it before ??

Re:WA fires, more homes lost..Authoritys looking for a suspect.One of the first photographers for VMX Magazine Andrew McDonalds brother lives in the fire zone  :( Any West Aussie's heard,,waiting on email replies.

Hey Doc are you feeling ok ?? you have the word KAWASAKI on your aviator !!  ;D
cheers A
pic from Dec 2010..http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/12/08/5614451-kangaroos-rescued-from-flood-waters-in-australia
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:13:52 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2011, 09:51:44 am »
Words fail . Just take care all you lot up there.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2011, 12:56:57 pm »
hey folks,
we're all good at this stage on high ground. have picked up a few other people who's house is already under that are now staying here.
am possibly soon out the door to get the ex sister inlaw. just waiting on a call.
kids and the ex bitch from hell are all good high & dry.
bikes are fine.
internet has been dropping out intermittently. still have phone and power and water.
so far so good.
hope your all good and thanks for your concern.
cheers folks!
Vandy.
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2011, 04:22:53 pm »
Good news Vandy.

Workmate bought an investment property in Ipswich late last year. He's up there now, working on it...
Sent him an SMS this morning, but haven't heard back - I guess he's otherwise occupied...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

trailietrash

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2011, 07:16:04 pm »
Hey Doc are you feeling ok ?? you have the word KAWASAKI on your aviator !!  ;D

I reckon that is so Bl%d@y wet up there that the moss has had a chance to grow over all those yellow bikes  :D

I very much hope the water doesn't cover any of your bikes, property or any more of your neighbours, friends and just everyone else up there having a had time as well

DR

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2011, 07:41:21 pm »
 :D nah, just having a bit of a holiday..I like green, green is nice 8)

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2011, 08:25:57 pm »
Jackie mac and Garys house will be under by now,both cars will be gone , gary had his bikes in the shed as long as the water doesnt push the wall out they should be there. The main furniture was removed from the house,gary had his ute loaded with his bikes, jackie had her car loaded with all electrical gear,then decided to stay half an hour after the furniture truck got out to finish a few things,and thats all it took,they couldnt get out,jack left her car ,gary through the bikes back in the shed , grabed the tinne (no oars ) 2x shovles and went for it,they where picked up by the cops at the end of there street and taken to Ipswich, They are both safe and as well as you could be.

Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!