Author Topic: the rain  (Read 48703 times)

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: the rain
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »
Had a clean up again yesterday arvo,so there arent as many flammable items around the house.
Be prepared they say.
This wind will kill anything if it had a 500+ metre spark front.

Steve and Ali, are you guys near this fire? what about the other WA guys?

I hope all in the QLD floods are ok. What can you say? It looks frightening from here, best wishes to anyone affected.
We get the amount of rain QLD is getting but we don't have the massive catchments to collect it all.

As I write this I'm sitting in a Sewage treatment plant in Darwin designed to treat 110L/s and the inflow meters are reading 2135L/s!
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 01:24:37 pm »
Brentj, sounds like yuo'll be up to your neck in shit any minute!
We're up to our bums in water but we're ok . about 10m above river level at work.
Trying to call Geoff Udy as he has a shop in Gatton but all the phones are down-hope to hell they're ok.
Popeye is out saving Tanyas bikes and stuff-all gone to my place for a stay at Ripley. Gave my new ute to Lama this morning so he could go and help-can't get them on the phone either so that could be the end of that.
My kids are home safe-last I heard, but Debs sister is about to go under. The daughter (Nudge)& boyfriend have taken his D-Max to get her. I had to tell him last night that the D-Max was out of the Dakar but the Great Wall was up to 20th-he nearly spewed :D :D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 01:25:46 pm »
It sounds unbelieveable in Qld. I know Toowoomba well and can't imagine that wall of water. A friend in Gympie tells me she's isolated in a newer suburb - all roads cut by flooding. My mum and dad are staying here in Canberra but luckily their home in Maryborough is well away from any flooding. But the business district will have copped it.

I've been reading that Wivenhoe is well over capacity and shedding water like crazy, while the flood containment area is now over half full.

From what I can see on the radar it's still bloody raining!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »
We're up to our bums in water but we're ok .

What about the creek at the back of your place,has he got high ground for his cattle ??
cheers A

They are saying its the last lot for a few weeks,,it pissing down all the way to Melbourne.
All TV stations here are Queensland stories-all eyes on Brissy.
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline big mac

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »
Here at jindalee Brisbane which is a burb on the river. The park behind the houses over the road is full of water & rising it still has a couple of meters to go before it gets to the houses but it's still raining & they have turned the water off. Lucky I am a pom & dont need much water for washing.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 02:53:54 pm »
Bushfires south of me in WA.  Well clear.  A good friend of mine that lives at Helidon had to be lifted off the roof with the helicopter.  He has lost everything.  His wife and him don't even have clothes to change into.  Devastating  :(
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 02:57:52 pm »
I've been reading that Wivenhoe is well over capacity and shedding water like crazy, while the flood containment area is now over half full.

i took the kids out to see all 5 flood gates open before christmas as it's pretty rare they open and the water flowing through the gates then was truely awesome.
it must be friggin scary now!
work just called before and it's a no~go for the next day or so depending ;D
forcasts are changing by the hour. it could go either way of the 74 floods.
11pm tonight i think is crunch time.
"flat bickie"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2011, 03:08:11 pm »
Some serious footage of river systems flooding over at alarming rates.
Hope the governements pours some dollars into rebuilding towns such as Gratham..just terrible..
Vandy hope your on very high grond..??
Has anyone heard from Jackie mac and co ??

i took the kids out to see all 5 flood gates open before christmas as it's pretty rare they open and the water flowing through the gates then was truely awesome.
it must be friggin scary now!

Going to open the gates full boar,so the minister has just said on TV
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:14:22 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2011, 03:19:04 pm »
Hmmmm....  Flood gates full open.  Major flooding and rainfall in the lockyer valley.  King Tide (?).  Major rainfall in Brisbane.
Hate to say it doesn't look good for Brissie  :o :o.  If I was a gambling man I'd be betting on higher than '74 levels.  Make sure you stay high and dry Brisbanites - take care.
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »
Hmmmm....  Flood gates full open.  Major flooding and rainfall in the lockyer valley.  King Tide (?).  Major rainfall in Brisbane.
Hate to say it doesn't look good for Brissie  :o :o.  If I was a gambling man I'd be betting on higher than '74 levels.  Make sure you stay high and dry Brisbanites - take care.

They are saying worst will be Thursday. :-\ I reckon it will be like one of those Honda Mugen things- faster than a rat up a drain pipe.
I'm surprised they don't shut the CBD down ,as its less of a concern and SES resources can be utlised else where.
cheers A
http://www.abc.net.au/news/video/2011/01/11/3110493.htm
Dont think unemployment will be a problem for some.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 03:48:34 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2011, 03:49:37 pm »
I'm surprised they don't shut the CBD down ,as its less of a concern and SES resources can be utlised else where.
cheers A
its happening right now in the lower lying areas.
just been on the phone to a friend in town now and the traffic getting out of town is a bit of an issue.
they've still got time...
"flat bickie"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2011, 04:01:54 pm »
Queensland, perfect one day….
Sorry guys

Even those not in flood danger will find themselves off work which can make life hard, the bank charges don’t go on holidays.
The disruption to life sounds a bit like our fire scenario of a couple of years ago.

Never underestimate the power of mother nature, she can be a real bitch sometimes.

I sincerely hope you guys can get through this okay.
Don’t be taking unnecessary risks, were only meant to take them while on a motorbike.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2011, 04:25:26 pm »
247, The cows are fine-or were when last seen. Some others out west have been found 40k down stream with only one lost.(to dumgeon for that one :D.)
Jacky was on the list to be saved and one of the BMCC lads had a truck out there for her and Gary to load up so nothing I could do to help.
Last word from Popeye was tanyas stuff is all moved up or moved out.
oh and Lama brought my ute back so all is not lost.....
As someone else said - tonight will tell.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:43 pm »
Good stuff-Thanks EML.. :-* ..here's something pre75

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWrd2U2tYAw
Best is in the West !!

oldfart

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »
Our dams are running at over 160 % and rising.   Wivenhoe - Sumerset & Northpine.
See Graph bottom of page. 
http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/dam-levels

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/unstoppable-tide-hits-brisbane-20110111-19lq0.html
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 05:15:11 pm by oldfart »