Author Topic: Great tracks  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Great tracks
« on: November 25, 2010, 04:11:25 pm »

After a recent thread on a fantastic looking track that made you want to get out and ride, I thought that I would post up some images of tracks from around the globe that I would love to have a few laps on . First on the list and probably the most famous motocross track in the world , is Namur in Belgium. Sadly, I think it is no longer in use . It doesn't look like a place that you would want to lose control and run off the track, but there does seem to be some sort of catch fence just in case . 

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Great tracks
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 04:21:27 pm »

I pinched this image of Washougal, in the northwest of the USA, from the Hammer & Tongs website. Looks a lot like motocross heaven to me.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 04:27:09 pm »

Asti, in Italy. I think this picture was posted on the MXTRAX.UK forum , some time ago . Looks like it has some really steep changes in elevation .

TooFastTim

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 04:30:45 pm »
Sadly, I think it is no longer in use .

There was considerable pressure from the enviro-weenies to stop using it but they lost now the organisers are very selective about when they use it.

Of course it doesn't fit in with Giuseppe Luongos vision of MX so no GPs there anymore.

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 04:34:15 pm »

This track is at St. Lo, in France. I think it might be Jacky Vimond's home track . This image may have also been originally posted on the MXTRAX.UK forum. 

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:49:27 pm »
They do make the current circuit at Conondale look like Sleepy Hollow don't they??....
I see if I can find some from Echo Valley in Toowoomba.
Great shots and a great idea for a new thread....

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 02:16:37 pm »
Think about great circuits the other day and it came to my attention that there are no more SVR tracks anymore. When was the last time you went out to walk a new track and your SV (sphinter valve) went into retraction mode so you didn't actually have an accident in your undies.
I recall some circuits that made me think twice about putting the bike back on the ute and I'd like to hear some stories of the same.
The BIG downhill at the first Conondale track was a doozie (it now has a log across it and is just on the left as you enter the pit gate from the main road)  and the first trip around Echo Valley was similar but not too bad. Some of the drop-offs in France were a bit special but I can't remember a good uphill section in a good while.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:39 pm »
Great shots Husky. In particular Namur. Imagine going the other way! Got any more? Cheers Jerry

Doggy Digger

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 03:15:55 pm »
   As well as exciting geography of tracks, I think a thrilling part of good tracks are the turning points and trackside fencing or markers.
I reckon it feels good when you turn by a haybale or bunting.   It also looks good in photos, when reading photo reports of famous tracks.
the 1970s Trans-Am tracks come to mind ... laced as they were with miles of picket fencing.   What a blast!

I also like those photos where the crowd is not under control, and sometimes almost spilling onto the track.  Vintage euro crowds always
seemed to include grandparents, butchers and wives.   And weird clothing.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 03:18:31 pm by Doggy Digger »

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

Offline lama

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 03:44:50 pm »
i was there that day he sent his mechanic out just before the start of the moto to flatten the upside of the jump just after the honda hole. I do belive he jumped into the lead but can/t remember how he finished i think thorpe won gebours 2nd

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:51:34 pm »
i was there that day he sent his mechanic out just before the start of the moto to flatten the upside of the jump just after the honda hole. I do belive he jumped into the lead but can/t remember how he finished i think thorpe won gebours 2nd

I was there too!  But I was 6 and nowhere near the bombhole.  I think I was half way up the hill somewhere.  Still remember the crowd going nuts over Thorpey though

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 05:58:30 pm »
Two things that stood out to me was the posts driven into the inside of the first turns i.e 4'' round and roped together with something that would tie up the Titanic, and the number of old couples-granny and grandpa- that would be spectating in France, complete with a blanket and bagette and bottle of red.....

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:18 pm »
I see that the picture that I posted of Namur is on the Rob Andrews website and was taken by a photographer by the name of Roddy Macleod. He has a website with all kinds of interesting photos, although not all are motorcycle related . On this site there is a section on the Bercy supercross, featuring some good shots of Chad Reed and another sequence of shots of a US flat-track meeting . There is also a section on Stefan Everts winning his 10th World title, which seems to capture some of the atmosphere of Namur.
http://www.roddymacleod.com/namur/index.html

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »
Hey VMX... Nice u tube find That Mikkola was riding like he was getting chased by the Mafia. Was he on an OW or just a hot yz250F??
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...