Author Topic: Aftermarket Parts in Pre 75  (Read 12199 times)

TT

Re: Aftermarket Parts in Pre 75
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2010, 07:34:17 am »
Just got confirmation from Rick Sieman that THOR didn't make swingarms until later, so even if it is an exact copy, it's definitely not Pre 75 legal.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:18 am »
The Maico and the bike behind it will need bling bling gold chains to even run.
To my eye I can't see how a little 20mm thick knurled knob on the bottom of a shock destroys the look of a pre-75 bike? Just another case for log books, so easy and simple.

Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2010, 08:05:11 am »
Still wondering how this bike has been getting through scrutineering.........  :D

I think he might have been onto something by keeping quiet and not advertising the fact that it wasn't legal on OzVMX?

Just an idea…  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TT

« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2010, 08:25:17 am »
I think he might have been onto something by keeping quiet and not advertising the fact that it wasn't legal on OzVMX?
Just an idea…  :D

I know it might sound dumb that I'm going out of my way to prove that my bike's not legal, but I'd just like to see the sport remain as a true reflection of how racing was in any given era instead of modern bikes with 7/4 travel.  ;)
Besides I'll cop much less abuse by using my own bike as an example rather than someone elses......... I hope.........  :-\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 08:51:24 am by Tony T »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2010, 08:45:46 am »
Just got confirmation from Rick Sieman that THOR didn't make swingarms until later, so even if it is an exact copy, it's definitely not Pre 75 legal.

That was my first impression too, it looks too futuristic to me but i was waiting to see if anyone with more knowlege on them spoke up.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

colmoody

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2010, 09:23:10 pm »
Firko, I was not directing my comment at you or anyone else in particular. Among other things Tony asked a question as to eligibility and the fact that Drakie in his capacity as a scrutineer (past or present) was straight up in his response is what I liked. Plain and simple and no one's left in any doubt. As I have seen before the question/s of eligibility on this forum can seem to drag on forever without ever seeming to reach a conclusion. If you interprated my response that you and Drakie were not on the same page that was not my intention. I just reckon that on any question re eligibility nine times out of ten we will not find the answer in opinions and in fact are all better served by someone in the capacity of say Drakie or yourself putting the blokes like me and a few other like minded souls out of our misery early in the game.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2010, 09:38:54 pm »
Firko - I have read  but not "listened" previously to the legal/not legal comments regards swingarms becasue basically with my YZB it was basically OEM or nothing - and I realise it is your opinion - but from what people are saying then would a "now made" Karl Landrus swingarm copy not be acceptable for my YZB - alloy or whatever?  If you were purist I mean.

ta

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 11:24:26 pm »
This is all very interesting stuff. I for one try my best to keep my pre75 within the rules as I'm sure most of us do. But is there anything wrong with adding performance accessories (as opposed to bling) to our period race bikes?

Take my 250 Elsinore for example. Profab swingarm and pipe. Works performance shocks. GEM reed block. YZF yamaha footpegs. Akront rims. GP seat. Renthal bars.

The alloy swingarm was available for the Elsinores in 1974 to get the things to turn without having to be sideways everywhere. DG also made Alloy swingarms for the Honda's. This being the case, why is it not kosher to have an alloy swingarm on another brand of bike, taking aside that it is obviously made after December 1974? In the case of Tony's Husky, is it any different to someone lengthening the stock swingarm which was a popular mod in the day?

Pipes have always been tinkered with, from day one. Every Tom, Dick and Harry had a better way to do things than the factories.

The GEM reedblock was made in 1974 in an effort to make the Elsinore more rideable and stop the power from being like a light switch. To get the reeds to work as they should, Ive had to drill my own pilot jets as any standard pilot jet was not big enough to do the job.

The footpegs are there for my own safety, nothing else. My knee still gives me grief from a stock footpeg snapping off my B50!

The Works Performance shocks are there because the stockers aren't worth a pile of poo, nor where they in the day. After my trip to Connondale and WA and seeing a few bikes with external rebound and compression clickers, I questioned one of the commisioners about the eligibility of them as I spent some decent coin on staying true to 1974 but getting what I thought was the best the rules allowed. Once I explained to him the pro's of having adjustable shocks, he thought about it and got back to me with a "yes, they will be allowed in the interest of being kinder to our bikes and bodies, considering some of the bigger than Ben Hur braking bumps we have to ride through at times like the Titles. So, as far as I am told by a commisioner, adjustable shocks are allowed and will be incorporated into the rule book.

Same deal with triple clamps. The same commisioner said that as long as the new clamps has the same offset as the original, there is absolutely no reason why we can't use billet clamps.

In my opinion, running alloy handlebars is a must do mod to a race bike. The standard type steel bars bend far too easily for someone like myself who drops the bike every so often. However, I was lucky enough to find a set of solid alloy bars with the vintage bend for my B50. Fatbars look ridiculous on an old bike and I wouldn't use them for that reason alone. It could also be argued that the Fatbar does offer a performance gain simply by way of the flex they provide, thus reducing fatigue. And they definitely were not around in 1974.

None of this makes me any faster by the way, but I do feel much better on my bike and it has passed scrutineering with help from Firko. Seems not too many scrutineers know of the GEM reedblock. I have all the standard parts to put back on the Elsinore when I have finished racing it but if it were to be the case that I had to race it as it came off the showroom floor, well, it would become another bike that wouldn't see the race track again.

By the way, I am going to sell the Elsi so if anyone wants a real fast CR that is %100 race legal, send me a message. The british bikes have me by the gonnads so Im letting the Elsinore go to fund my B44 project. Seems I can't have 1 of everything...           

Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2010, 11:19:52 pm »
Probably very well said and about what I would imagine the rules should be. Fatty bars are just too over the top but fat footpegs are likely to be ok as no one can see them from the sidelines, and if it was avaiable in '74 just after the bike was made-then go for it.

TT

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2010, 07:56:47 am »
But is there anything wrong with adding performance accessories (as opposed to bling) to our period race bikes?

In my opinion, there's no problem at all in adding performance accessories, as long as they were available within the period of the bike you race. e.g. prior to December 31 1974.

But I guess it comes down to whether you are into vintage racing to enjoy the bikes of the era or whether winning races is more important to you. And let's face it, most of us are past our prime and it's certainly easier to win a National title in vinatge racing than in moderns.  :D
I personally love the vintage movement because you get to feel like you're a part of motorcycling like it was 35 years ago. But when bikes are presented with fat pipes, fat bars, the riders wearing flouro modern riding gear, it really takes away from the whole experience. For me, that is.
There's obviously those that feel that getting any little performance advantage is more important than all that stuff.  Not saying that's right or wrong, just not what I want to see vintage motocross become.
I also reckon that most blokes work benefit far more from training and practice than they would from a fat pipe anyway.  :D

If the general concensus turns out to be that we want all the modern stuff on vintage bikes, then so be it.
I just prefer to see vintage racing remain just that: vintage.  :)

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:24 pm »
But is there anything wrong with adding performance accessories (as opposed to bling) to our period race bikes?

In my opinion, there's no problem at all in adding performance accessories, as long as they were available within the period of the bike you race. e.g. prior to December 31 1974
There's obviously those that feel that getting any little performance advantage is more important than all that stuff.  Not saying that's right or wrong, just not what I want to see vintage motocross become.
I also reckon that most blokes work benefit far more from training and practice than they would from a fat pipe anyway.  :D

I agree whole heartedly Tony. As I said, all the go fast gear isn't going to make me any faster....Training and practise definitely would. I do walk the dogs each day  :D
In saying that, I do like to see bikes with all the Go Fast gear on them that was available in the day as we don't get to see much of it in Oz. Apart from anything else, it gives the punters something different to look at
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.