Author Topic: Aftermarket Parts in Pre 75  (Read 12200 times)

firko

Re: Aftermarket Parts in Pre 75
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 09:47:11 am »
hmmm alloy brake lever and torque arm were period RH250 components so there should be no issue there as they were around in the day. As were titanium bolts and axles.
Maico had them too...the solution is easy in that case, use Maico or RH Suzuki brake pedals and torque arms.
I don't have much of a problem with consumables like shocks though I would prefer to see a rule introduced making external adjustment illegal (a'la' AHRMA). However, as I said in an earlier post I don't want to be too anal about it as I understand that most period shocks are rooted beyond rebuilding.

I have to disagree on one small thing though Marc, Ohlins didn't make shocks during the pre '75 period. I don't believe they were available to the public until around '78. Genady Moisseev was the first racer to win a title with them in 1977 I believe. Works Performance shocks are fine as they were around in 1973 and are based around an earlier Charlie Curnutt design anyway.
I'm not so much against the technology of modern style adjustable shocks as I am about their looks. If a manufacturer could "disguise" new technology inside old school shock bodies I thing we could maintain the period appearance of old bikes, Win/win.
Firko, I have a pickle at the moment that you may be able to help with then. I am looking to buy new forks for my '76 RT15a Wasp. As it runs in pre'85 class I am tempted to buy and fit a later and longer travel front end but then it loses it's originality. However to fit the later model stuff makes good racing sense and it would still be "era specific" What to do?
Being from Sydney where such things have never really existed, I have no knowledge whatsoever
 on sidecars. They all look the same to me. (I'm not taking the piss either, I'd never seen a motocross sidecar race until they were added to the vintage program in the late 90's)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 09:51:20 am by firko »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:57 am »
So perfecty legit, Works Performance shocks, PDI arm, and it now has Webco head and YZ lookee like forks. I think there is a factor of, 'knowing what we know now', that allows for decent improvement without building a bike that is outside the period.

I think total build of the MX250 including the bike is less than 2 grand and it will get the job done.

formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2010, 10:27:14 am »
By turning a blind eye to it they're legitimising the stuff by default. The guys here see the stuff for sale on eBay or on the American supplier sites and assume the stuffs kosher by our rules as well. If some of this stuff isn't nipped in the bud pretty quickly our bikes are going to lose their period identity.

here here.
Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2010, 11:25:56 am »
Excellent discussion, folks.
Especiialy cos it's going in the direction I hoped it would.  ;)

So, anyone want to buy some trick, billett Husky parts?  :D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2010, 12:36:17 pm »
I've got four sets of Arnacos and they're all date stamped. Two@1972 and the others 1974.
They have external dampening adjustment and adjustable preload.

I thought so. Konis you can adjust the damping by rotating the shaft so that could be considered external adjustment too.

To me its all about trying  re-create the period as much as possible and not about lap times. If you dont care about period looks and have fat bars, heaps of billet stuff, fat modern pegs, fancy shocks, fat pipes etc etc then whats the point? you may aswell ride a modern bike if you dont really care about period looks as your not really racing anything that was around back then. It just seems silly to me.

I'm not so much against the technology of modern style adjustable shocks as I am about their looks. If a manufacturer could "disguise" new technology inside old school shock bodies I think we could maintain the period appearance of old bikes, Win/win.

Agree 100%
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 12:45:53 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 01:06:53 pm »
In the right era, I don't see that as bling at all.
In fact for earlier stuff, I reckon it's probably more period correct than plastic.  :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »
In the right era, I don't see that as bling at all.
In fact for earlier stuff, I reckon it's probably more period correct than plastic.  :)

I was taken the piss on USA-thats what the winks for and an extra pair of sunnies to cover the shine  8)  8)   ;)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

colmoody

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:16 pm »
Unlike probably most of us and coming from a scrutineers point of view I thought Drakie pretty well nailed it in his post on this subject on page one. Pretty much everthing there after is conjecture and opinion (and we're all entitled to it).  Tony the Husky look's spoof blow and I would love to see it out and about irrespective.

TT

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 09:49:42 pm »
Thanks Col,
Yep, it will be out and about in the new year. That's for sure.
I've struggled against my desire to return it closer to stock as it was such a magnificent race bike from a performance perspective. But I really do prefer to focus on the 'vintage' part of vintage motocross and it will be returned to a more period correct configuration.
The pipe's already gone and I've just bought an original brake pedal and triple clamps.  ;D
Still undecided on the swingarm.  :-\

firko

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »
I thought Drakie and I were on the same page Col..Don't know how you got him right and us just using conjecture and opinion ??? I also base my opinions on my experience as National level a scrutineer as well as being the person, along with Drakie, who developed the rulebook we base our opinions on twenty years ago. That "conjecture and opinion" was developed over the last twenty five years. ::)

Tony....I'm reasonably confidant that if the swingarm is a replica of a Thor swingarm it may well be legal. I'll look through my magazines to see if I can find any pre '75 precedence. Their weren't many aluminium swingarms commercially available prior to 1975. I know Thor made a pre '75 Maico swingarm and one for MX/YZ Yamaha's but I'm not sure on Huskys. I have a sneaking suspicion that Pro Circuit marketed them under their name but I'll have to research it.

Please don't take my anti bling rant as anything personal mate, I think you understand where I'm coming from.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »
The pipe's already gone and I've just bought an original brake pedal and triple clamps.  ;D
Still undecided on the swingarm.  :-\

I think you should keep the swingarm and sell me the bike  ;D

I have the older style cast up PDI arms on my pre 75. I think they look the part.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »
Here's my old Maico showing its Boyd and Stellings (later renamed PDI) swingarm. Walt Boyd first sold these in 1969 as part of his original Boyd and Stellings frame kits. Before someone mentions it, the brake stay is a genuine period Wheelsmith item that's been on the bike since about 1973. Note also 1973 Maico billet brake pedal." Billet" stainless steel sprocket cover has been on there for about thirty years as well. I made it as a foreign order at work one day. ;D

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:36:46 pm by firko »

Offline ola_martin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2010, 11:54:13 pm »
what about the "gripper" seatcover??  ;)

TT

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 06:32:28 am »
I've trawled every copy of Dirt Bike from 1974 and I haven't seen any reference to the THOR swingarm for the Husky. There were a few adverts for lengthening the stock swingarm, but nothing in aluminium. Has anyone else got any information to support it's existance prior to December 1974?

Still wondering how this bike has been getting through scrutineering.........  :D