Author Topic: growing group sick of blokes hoarding bikes/parts  (Read 12092 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: growing group sick of blokes hoarding bikes/parts
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2010, 06:58:50 pm »
People get jealous for no real reason, I have had the odd pm too Firko I am probably considered poor I am only a second year apprentice

Good for you mate I remember being on the bones of my ass as a second year apprentice. But keep at it, being able to do your own hands on stuff is worth its weight in gold.

Yeah I don't know what is wrong with people firing off PMs because they can't stand their own mediocrity. I will give, swap parts with my mates, associates, forum friends freely to get them running....but other than that I like to keep my bikes and parts like a squirrel saving nuts.... this is not a charity and I am not Mother Teresa ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2010, 07:00:45 pm »
Funny you mention it Harvey,
I had never given it a second thought until I read the latest VMX article on the guy with the special KTM collection, for some reason I thought you selfish, self centered prick. " Take as many photo's as you can, as once the show is over nobody else will ever come in here again"
That attitude urks me.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »
You blokes crack me up. I have a bad education a crap job my wife thinks I'm hopeless :'( money whats that   :-[ I buy my bikes from the local tip or anywhere I can buy them cheap I make parts fit  I try to do a good job its a struggle but its me and know one will stop me from being me my wife try's all the time  ;D jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:35 pm »
When I was young an older man told me a proverb.

The Aussie worker goes to work and sees his boss turn up in a Rolls Royce and says "That bastard I'll have him down to riding a bicycle one day".

The American worker goes to work and sees his boss turn up in a Cadillac and says "Right on man, I'm going to get me one of those one day."

I throughout my whole life have always subscribed to the later.  People like Firko who goes to a lot of trouble to scrounge up and build rare bikes and people like Marc who have a nickel plated trick part ass only inspire me.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2010, 07:11:51 pm »
Here, here!! C&B.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2010, 07:12:23 pm »
I buy my bikes from the local tip or anywhere I can buy them cheap ;D jimson

More power to you man, you never know what you can trip over for a couple of hundred bucks. Like Firko said part of the fun is taking an old bunch of junk and making something or tripping over a good deal. Remember Firkos TS/TM 250 racer that cost less than the gas he used chasing the parts  ::)

As for my nickel plated ass I earn't every nickel of it.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 08:07:45 pm »
Never thought i'd say this,...What's on tele? :-\

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »
I'm with you Darren.
Channel 9's "What Happens In Vegas Stays In Vegas" is look'n real good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:51:40 pm by BAHNZY »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 09:05:45 pm »
Culled 27 or 28 complete bikes and two large car transporter trailer loads of parts in one day, for $700... ::) Still Ray Ryan (RIP mate) and others have had and are still having a ball of fun with them. Yes I had a hoard of Hodakas but shit I collected them for years and years for peanuts or free when nobody else could be bothered.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »
You blokes crack me up. I have a bad education a crap job my wife thinks I'm hopeless :'( money whats that   :-[ I buy my bikes from the local tip or anywhere I can buy them cheap I make parts fit  I try to do a good job its a struggle but its me and know one will stop me from being me my wife try's all the time  ;D jimson

Damn straight Jimson ! Sad that the bride undervalues you, but you can still get out to the garage, rip open a coldie and groove out with your bikes : and the most essential, the reflection on your last meeting, and the anticipation of the next one, son !  ;D And you might like to point out to her, that while you're "wasting your time shagging round with old bikes" at least you're at home, and not out chasing other (more understanding) women... >:(
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »
Never thought i'd say this,...What's on tele? :-\
Just finished watching Better Homes :-[ Had an article looking around Mick Doohan's house with his collection of bikes, cars and karts........
What a wanker!  ;D

Lucky I only have two bikes, so I'm not a wanker....just a jerk it seems ::) though if I could finish spending money on the house reno's I'd be a wanker for sure! ;D

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 10:34:26 pm »
Oh shit !!!

Looks like i'm in trouble, LMFAO :D

Pssst, hey Harvey old mate - want to buy a low hours 81 490T I've just about got ready to sell? Or a 501 built to your requirements? Or an RM125N or a crappy Bully M135

Or maybe a Cheney Ducati (just joking - that one is too rare so never for sale, but I do have four 450 R/T's to go eventually)

Seriously pal, if you are so distressed (or whatever your problem is) grab a roll of dollars and relieve the pain - there are oodles of bikes out there in the big wide world of VMX. DDR will sell you something - but hold it - is he daring to make a profit from selling bikes? There goes the whole motorcycle industry - profiteering mongrels  ;)

Enjoy life, and hope you like the colour - there is a reason for it  ::)

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 10:58:43 pm »
Hey MX i saw that thing on Mick doohan too, thats really something... Well ive just managed to fit my bikes tools and parts in two 20ft containers cause i just sold my house with a nice big big garage. All this BS is just motivating me to build an even bigger new garage in this old little house we just bought. My aim now is to have a garage bigger than the house, the missus will be a bit surprised when the slab goes down, bugger it I worked my ass off from when i left school at 14 now 41, like firko said many of us rescue bikes from scrap. The best thing about old vmxers is that the govt doesn't get duty when buying and selling them.
OLDYZMAN
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 11:02:49 pm »
Seems to me that some people who complain about others having too many bikes are the one's who are on the look out for a certain bike but can't be patient enough, or search well enough to find it!
Most of the time a bike "falls into your lap" by someone else's help, or your own determination and patience.
Often all you have to do is advertise and ask around.
ps Variety is the spice of life!

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 08:48:35 am »
This is a favourite subject of mine.
Many of my bikes have been built up from multiple donor basket cases and have taken hundreds of hours to put together, but because I do the labour myself, they usually have cost me less than $3000 each to finish ready to compete on.
In all cases I would have preferred to buy a complete going bike but before the internet and eBay, it was much harder to find bikes and so back then I tended to buy whatever crap I could find in the hope of getting enough to put together a complete bike.
The other thing is that if you want to buy a particular bike, maybe a rare one, you have to actually tell the owner that you would like to buy it if they ever want to sell. I have bought a couple of bikes like that. In each case it has taken a few years from asking to when they sell, but it does work!!! I have no sympathy for people who stand back, never say anything, then whinge loudly when someone sells to someone else a bike they secretly liked.

Simply a matter of saying "mate if you ever want to sell that, please let me know, here is my phone number"
previous pseudonym feetupfun