Author Topic: Pre 90/Pre 95 in Classic MX. An idea whose time has come?  (Read 51561 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Pre 90/Pre 95 in Classic MX. An idea whose time has come?
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2010, 08:30:56 PM »
Nathan, we have different eras now so why the big push to increase the year cut offs?
Instead of asking why its not wanted, because you have clearly missed people's explanations of why. When you should be asking yourself why you have to have it.
And sorry Graeme for the thread hi-jack, I know your not saying bring more eras in and yet once again any thread like this turns into a pre90 debate.

Why the push to include newer eras?
Two main reasons:
1. I want to be able to race the bikes that really lusted over when I was a kid, against/among my peers, despite the fact that history has rendered them redundant.  This is the exact same reason why the rest of the VMX racing scene exists.
2.They're a logical and productive step for the sport. ALL other forms of historic motor racing are happy to bring newer eras on board, but we somehow choose to keep our sport as small as possible, while complaining that its small... (yes, there are other ways to make it larger, but they're not happening [either]).

There's no tangible reason why running a pre-90 and/or pre-95 class at a VMX day will actually negatively impact on the existing punters. We talk about the concept of "dilution", but that only becomes an issue if you make it one. If you're doing what you want to do, then the addition of pre-90/95 bikes is irrelevant.

There

There's a ton of other reasons
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2010, 09:05:48 PM »
Hang on Nathan - "I want" to ride against my peers in AGE classes - doesn't sit with you as a viable reason for age racing - therefore can I say you "wanting" to race bikes that you lusted after also isn't a viable reason - bugger that eh!  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »
Not bad Rossco.  ;D

If you step back, everything to do with every sport is about "Want" - its not life or death.

Way I see it, wanting (and being denied) pre-90 racing means that you simply cannot reasonably use a bike that you (would like to) own.
Alternatively, even if you're denied age-group racing, you still get to use your vintage bike among its peers.

Neither is life or death, but one makes it virtually impossible to use a whole stack of bikes, while the other is basically an administration issue.

(FWIW: I was never against 'age racing' - I just didn't accept that one-age-group-only races were going to solve all of the world's problems).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2010, 11:21:25 PM »
To give my view why some older guys fade away from racing with newer bikes.
From what I've seen in VMX, a few of the older riders on older bikes have given racing a rest because the majority of tracks we in NSW have to use aren't too pre75 & old guy friendly any more, and the guys on newer bikes just don't see it as a problem, as the suspension they have copes reasonably well.
Plus the long travel, higher horsepower bikes rip the tracks up further and a whole new set of bumps, ruts, and stutters appear. Just look at what happens to Crawford River Classic each year, a chopped up mess.
I also note that in Victoria the Viper guys have there racing alongside the moderns so there's no problem for pre 90 or 95 classes. The original Classic Club is a separate club for the older bikes. (Correct me if I'm wrong pls)
Older riders often give up the task of fighting the pain, to ride on a track that is chewed out by the longer travel bikes.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
To give my view why some older guys fade away from racing with newer bikes.
From what I've seen in VMX, a few of the older riders on older bikes have given racing a rest because the majority of tracks we in NSW have to use aren't too pre75 & old guy friendly any more, and the guys on newer bikes just don't see it as a problem, as the suspension they have copes reasonably well.
Plus the long travel, higher horsepower bikes rip the tracks up further and a whole new set of bumps, ruts, and stutters appear. Just look at what happens to Crawford River Classic each year, a chopped up mess.
I also note that in Victoria the Viper guys have there racing alongside the moderns so there's no problem for pre 90 or 95 classes. The original Classic Club is a separate club for the older bikes. (Correct me if I'm wrong pls)
Older riders often give up the task of fighting the pain, to ride on a track that is chewed out by the longer travel bikes.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2010, 11:53:39 AM »
Actually... that IS an idea.

VMX is Vintage MX for bikes made before Pre 85 and run to current rules (tho we need to do something about Evo).

RMX is Retro MX for the bikes from 1985 on. And the first era is Evo 2 from 1985 to 1990, ?? 1990 to 1995 and then New Era 95 to 2000. Retro works as a concept and can just keep on adding classes - it's old dirtbikes. But Vintage MX is the original and the greatest.

I need to start a new website - OzRetroMX...

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2010, 12:19:14 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong here but hasnt the UK accepted pre 90 with a warm welcome into the vintage scene and pre 90 is a big part of the Farleigh Castle event? Yes UK is not us but if they can accept it, why cant we?. I see there is a lot of guys restoring and building 87, 88, 89 YZ's, CR's. RM's etc, pre 90 seems massive over there.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

TM BILL

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2010, 04:21:48 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong here but hasnt the UK accepted pre 90 with a warm welcome into the vintage scene and pre 90 is a big part of the Farleigh Castle event? Yes UK is not us but if they can accept it, why cant we?. I see there is a lot of guys restoring and building 87, 88, 89 YZ's, CR's. RM's etc, pre 90 seems massive over there.

Leith they also think its cool to cut up single shockers , add twin shocks and race them against true twinshockers  ::)
The Poms are the last one to follow  :-[

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2010, 05:18:29 PM »

There's no tangible reason why running a pre-90 and/or pre-95 class at a VMX day will actually negatively impact on the existing punters. We talk about the concept of "dilution", but that only becomes an issue if you make it one. If you're doing what you want to do, then the addition of pre-90/95 bikes is irrelevant.

Nathan, I'm doing what I like doing now (riding vmx/racing vmx/restoring and socializing vmx) with no pre90/95 bikes around, but bring them into the scene and it will have an impact and that is very relevant.

VMX is Vintage MX for bikes made before Pre 85 and run to current rules (tho we need to do something about Evo).

RMX is Retro MX for the bikes from 1985 on. And the first era is Evo 2 from 1985 to 1990, ?? 1990 to 1995 and then New Era 95 to 2000. Retro works as a concept and can just keep on adding classes - it's old dirtbikes. But Vintage MX is the original and the greatest.

This is the best thing I have ever read.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

TM BILL

« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2010, 05:30:18 PM »

Nathan, I'm doing what I like doing now (riding vmx/racing vmx/restoring and socializing vmx) with no pre90/95 bikes around, but bring them into the scene and it will have an impact and that is very relevant.

This is the best thing I have ever read.

Bullshit DJ  :o You told me the best thing you ever read was Penthouse march 1975 when you were 12  ;D

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
I'm guessing he meant best he'd read today  :D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »

OK, no worries - what's the impact on you? Real stuff that actually affects you, not "I don't like his hair" or "Did you hear who he's going out with?"...

All Things 414

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
This is crap. My only question to Nathan is are you going to be happy to ride these Pre95 bikes (that you lusted so over) on real motocross tracks with bumpy bits where they all take off, bumpy bits where they slow down and a real big bumpy bit where they land? Because if I saw one being ridden around a farmers paddock or on an oval somewhere I think Id have to put my foot through the screen.

That's not where 90's bikes were ridden...... :-[ :-[

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2010, 06:48:28 PM »
What about the thumper nats, they were on natural terrain.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

All Things 414

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Oh all right......
If you build yourself a 1984 XR 400 into a CR frame you can ride around in a paddock on it...... ::)