Author Topic: Vinduro competition  (Read 18034 times)

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
Re: Vinduro competition
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »
Mike
It sure is on my to do list.  I know a lot of guys are keen.

The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:51 pm »
Some of us don,t mind working too Noel.
Just ask.
 :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 12:58:28 am »
The issue of available spare parts and bikes that may be required for competition maintenance is one of the factors I was interested in hearing about. It is amazing when you go from social riding to competition how the price of backup parts seem to triple. Would it be any different to what it associated with running a VMX bike though? Has the VMX competition become much harder over the last few years due to this factor? Fairly new to the VMX/Vinduro scene and keen to get involved in some of the riding events.

I dont think thats a very valid argument against it. Your basically saying that if its competitve you are all of a sudden going to start busting your gut 'racing' against the clock and falling off and breaking or wearing out your bike????? Even if there is a competitive vinduro, no one says you have to 'race' so hard that you will break or wear out your bike, you can still ride at your own pace as you would in a 'non competitive' vinduro that you think will not wear out or break your bike anyway. If there is a competitive class, it allows the guys to want to have a bit of a go and 'push themselves' a bit harder to feel like reliving the old competitve days and who are not worried about the supposed added cost of broken or worn parts. I also think if these actually do happen, that they will still have a class or category were you can just 'trail ride it' at your own pace like the current vinduros and not be 'timed' and feel like you have to go hard. It is as competitive as you want to make it and as 'bike wearing' as you want to make it. You are controlling the throttle, no one else ;D Just ride it at your own pace that you think will not break or wear out your bike more than a 'non competitve' vinduro.

The VMX guys get to re-live their past and race competitvely so why cant the vinduro guys have the option to have a bit of a 'race' too?
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 09:07:28 am »
The last vinduro I rode was a couple of years ago and my mind set for the day was sought of a competitive nature in that I was going to just ride as much as I possibly could for the entire alotted time. I didn't kick anyone off, swear at anyone or behave badly, just rode around those a bit slower or anyone stuck on a hill, didn't stop to help (not that anyone needed help), talk or wank, only to re-fuel and have a drink. I even had to replace an errant swing arm nut which had become conspicuous by it's absence! The end result was I had an absolute ball and took out the "prize" for most laps ridden for the day, and I'm just a fat, old bald prick! I must say I really enjoyed the the track though, technical enough without being outrageous, but rideable for almost anyone. The bike, 1980 Husqvarna WR390 was also a gem, so maybe the planets just aligned for me on that day. That's how a non competitive vinduro became my own little personal competition. I would probably enter a competitve vinduro though, I reckon it would be a bit more of a fun challenge.
Cheers,
K

IT400C

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 09:38:53 am »
Yup - keep us posted!!!  The hard part will be deciding which class to enter!!!   ::)

IT400C

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 09:51:39 am »
There's no reason a Vinduro can't have riders running with and without timekeeping...

Have a marked bypass around the checkpoints (like the easy/hard markers we already use) and if the rider is running the timekeeping Vinduro, he goes through the checkpoint, if he's running the trailride side he doesn't.

It's still just a vintage Enduro bike trailride (non-competitive) either way, it's just that some riders are keeping to the timekeeping and some aren't...  :-)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 11:17:36 am »
Some of the guys went to the Masters and discovered that it,s possible to be old AND fast.
Those games may have a lot to answer for. The fires have been rekindled.

Even one proper vinduro- enduro a year in SE QLD might calm the guys down.
I,me talking Yamaha 6 Day type of racing. We had first timers racing some of the fastest riders you have ever seen and never had a problem , in fact it was a hoot and a lot of people look back on those days with very fond memories.
When I started out I wasn,t racing Stephen Grant [ expert] I was racing IT400c. All I had to do was beat him. Some times I did and some times I didn,t. What a laugh , ah the memories.

Could even let moderns race [ to make up the numbers ]. The moderns could pay for the old guys fun.
Not so hard to add extra classes.   The enduro,s now have classes all over the place.
I believe a yearly race could become an event like the CD,s.
 :) :) :)
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 06:18:51 pm »
For any one that is interested a 2 day enduro is being organized at Portland NSW where the 4 day was held this year  in Feb 2011 which will have a Vintage class  we need at least 10 for the class we have 6 at the moment it will be run by oyster bay mcc it will be a proper enduro

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2010, 10:51:58 pm »
odd1 
Do they have a web site?
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2010, 11:18:25 pm »
http://www.obmcc.com/

I'd be a "maybe" for the 2-day on an old bike - I'm super keen to do the event, just not sure whether I'd be better off doing it on my modern (4-day practice and all that).

« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 11:30:09 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 06:33:30 am »
Take the old bike the last race was won by an 84 IT 250 and that raced against the moderns I raced my maico 400 against the moderns in the MX the next day and was getting top 10 finishes and we had full grids I'm sure the $15000.00 Husaberg owners weren't to happy. Whats the worse that can happen? you dont finish then you will know what you have to do to make your bike reliable.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 08:37:26 pm »
Yup - keep us posted!!!  The hard part will be deciding which class to enter!!!   ::)

125,s ?  :) :) :)

IT400C

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2010, 02:28:45 am »
hahahahahaha - The same thought was crossing my mind...    ;D ;D   Unfortunately, that means I may have to find a way to convince the missus that I need another new (old) bike.... 

Been thinking about getting a YZ125 J or K and recreating my enduro bikes of 82/83, or trying to find a YZ125H and doing a copy of Geoff Petler's 81 bike...   ::)

Any idea roughly when the Vinduro would be?  So I have some idea how long I have to find a YZ125 and get it rebuilt?   

And yes Mike - a couple of Old Farts reliving their early 80's racing days sounds like a damn fine idea!!!!   ;D ;) ;D ::) :o

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »
hahahahahaha - The same thought was crossing my mind...    ;D ;D   Unfortunately, that means I may have to find a way to convince the missus that I need another new (old) bike.... 
Been thinking about getting a YZ125 J or K and recreating my enduro bikes of 82/83, or trying to find a YZ125H and doing a copy of Geoff Petler's 81 bike...   ::)
Any idea roughly when the Vinduro would be?  So I have some idea how long I have to find a YZ125 and get it rebuilt?
And yes Mike - a couple of Old Farts reliving their early 80's racing days sounds like a damn fine idea!!!!   ;D ;) ;D ::) :o
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) A 125 mite kill ya Tony, gotta hurt at the least.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 07:17:31 pm by Mike52 »

Offline XC83

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 07:55:35 pm »
For any one that is interested a 2 day enduro is being organized at Portland NSW where the 4 day was held this year  in Feb 2011 which will have a Vintage class  we need at least 10 for the class we have 6 at the moment it will be run by oyster bay mcc it will be a proper enduro

Interested! sounds great, but ...... are we talking registered pre 85 bikes only for the vintage class? I don't think I can get the XC registered, but the 87 model WR400, that would be nice!!! Could run in the modern class I suppose, but It would be nice to hang out with people my own age.