Author Topic: Dakar Rallye Cancelled  (Read 9558 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Dakar Rallye Cancelled
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:42 pm »
??? ??? politics and motorbikes just dont mix . Freaky, I like you better when you write funny stories about bikes or tell me that the shocks are to dear ;D

All Dual shocks after 50 years are still to freckin expensive  !  Now can i borrow some to test walter ?

No funny stories but here is a free one for you political voters out there - All trees should be moved 10 meters of the road, and stobie poles should not be on the exit of corners. Do those simple things and ill cut your road toll of genuine crash deaths in half !  I did a spot on 5AA talkback the other night and it went over a treat :OP

IF you want real results they should be using this catch cry  "Add 10" not take off 5 !  ( as in 10m)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 11:55:01 pm »
???

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 12:23:32 am »
 ??? ???   Dakar Rallye ::)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

YSS

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 06:27:48 pm »
When is your next talkback show Freaky? I dont want to miss that for anything. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 08:08:51 pm by YSS »

magoo

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »
Lawsie has retired, maybe we could replace him with Freakie.

YSS

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2008, 09:39:16 pm »
Lawsie is no match :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 09:41:13 pm by YSS »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2008, 10:08:32 pm »
THE FREAK SHOW  MMMMM   ONE THING I WILL AGREE TO IS CUT DOWN THE TREES
www.pftrees.com.au

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 10:34:21 pm »
And stobie poles are unique to South Australia... ;)
I think I understand your reasoning Freaky; it was the sheer number of deaths and serious injuries which brought about the massive run off/kitty litter pits for the road racing circuits.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2008, 10:42:31 pm »
Exuse my lack of educatian but what the forks a stobie pole?

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2008, 10:50:10 pm »
They're a South Aussie version of a telegraph pole.
They're a tall concrete structure framed on two sides by heavy grade steel; I understand they're named after their creator, a Hungarian fellow called.... Mr. Stobie.
Hey Crow Eaters, am I right?
My Father in Law (a Crowie) told me the history a few years ago.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

YSS

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2008, 10:55:55 pm »
So should we eliminate just the stobie poles or go for the telegraph poles also?. ( not the walking ones)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2008, 11:08:07 pm »
Exuse my lack of educatian but what the forks a stobie pole?
Stobie pole are steel and concrete inner poles that run the street and carry the power and telephone sinse the 30"S ?  you hit them you die, i think you guys interstate use wooden power poles ?

we have them listed as a heritage icon  ::)  http://www.nationaltrustsa.org.au/heritage_icons_2002.htm#Stobie_Poles

Any way a lots of folks die on road deaths by power pole or tree impact as they are usually only 2-5 mtre off the kerbside.  That the real point.

YSS youll be happy to know it was a guest appearance but i may be producing a show for Sean on Sundays 5AA  6-12pm, we are curently working out the details and have some "artistic " differances at the  moment on content, there is only so many Old ladies ringing in with "ailments" i can handle.  So you might be lucky and not have to listen to me or my content yet :O)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 11:57:08 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2008, 11:24:06 pm »
Location, location, location - if you collect a pole on a bike it probably doesn't matter whether it's made of concrete, wood or steel.
I recently wrote off my ute when it aqua-planed into a steel light pole.
The pole sheared off at the bottom and I continued sliding for another thirty metres or so.
The Coppers explained these poles are meant to shear off upon impact and had it been a wooden pole I'd probably still be wrapped around its base.
Hey Freaky, apart from the talkback show is there an effort underway to actually press for your idea?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2008, 11:37:25 pm »
NOt that i now of.  I have been pushing it for years after i got pissed off at all those take 5 ads, adding 10 would make a much bigger impact than the speedlimit change, fact.

Pedestrian impact dont even rate when compared to death or injury due to pole or tree impacts less than 10 metres off the road.  i looked up the stats !

Also have you ever noticed some idiot seems to like to place them on the outsid eof apex or corner run off ? very rarely are they on the inside of a bend ?  maybe Firko or greame can run a editorial on it in the next Vmx and some Poly might steal the idea and run with it.

Death other than Head ons or lane impact are significantly lower in suburbs that have gone to underground cabling ? curious statistic that one ! Corellation or just Luck ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2008, 11:50:16 pm »
Yep we have wooden ones here,I had ago at one in a HJ head on,the pole was a clear winner,I managed to get it into the starter motor on the L/H side of a 6cyl;not good.