Author Topic: My 78 Maico project.  (Read 18195 times)

All Things 414

Re: My 78 Maico project.
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »
The Ohlins are a vastly better shock . The YSS are fundamentaly flawed due to increase in the shaft diameter after the original design  .

My bikes aren't Maico's. But the one that I have with the YSS on it handles very well and it has the big shafts :-\. No hydraulic locks there. Also when I've needed things changed or serviced they've been gone no longer than a week.
The Ohlins which I bought from the US need a lot of changes just to fit my bike. If I was to race this bike I bet I'd have to shop around and get some valveing done as well and maybe change some springs ::). I'm glad they're only on it for looks.
I'll put YSS on my next racer as well.... ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:44 pm »
The Ohlins are a vastly better shock . The YSS are fundamentaly flawed due to increase in the shaft diameter after the original design  . The extra volume displaced by the shaft cannot be acccomodated by the reservoir which leads to seal and hydraulic lock problems . I have 5 Maicos withs Ohlins and wouldn't run anything else .  A lack of adjusters shouldn't put you off .   Regards Scott

couldnt agree more, seen the pictures too Scott so you stick to your guns mate.  personally I wouldnt waste my time even trying them, but The Scooter Marketing expert will poo poo anything with theoritical advice to save face and sell stock....  ::)....mmm me thinks back top that xmas special sale a while back, models only good enough to run on a trail. i see a few bikes that were running them have moved onto other brands latey did that go unnoticed in some of the forum pics..... ;)

Im always interested to see the remarks made and how quickly he can discredit anyone with an opinion on a brand, if its not his.  Just because Scott raised questions or states his opinion about a product, its prity lame to have to stoop to callin him professor and so on, in any case hes probally smarter anyway than you wasp... ;D ;D
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

All Things 414

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 07:42:08 pm »
Race a lot of long travel bikes Freaky?..... ::)

The point I'm trying to make is that yeah you might be able to get some shocks from overseas cheaper but it can end up costing more in the long run. I've never had a set yet arrive, go straight on a bike with nothing more to do. And are you gunna service them? :'(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:00:59 pm by All Things 414 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:00 pm »
I'm with Scott, the Ohlins are a superior shock.. race proven at the highest level week in and week out in MXGP and MotoGP.

firko

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 08:08:52 pm »
Yep, I think we've got the message, Freaky doesn't like Walter and visa versa. Boom boom. Now can we move on without erupting into yet another slagfest. Feel the love kids :-*.

I recommend Curnutts to solve your shocking woes but what would I know? ::)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »
The Ohlins are a vastly better shock . The YSS are fundamentaly flawed due to increase in the shaft diameter after the original design  . The extra volume displaced by the shaft cannot be acccomodated by the reservoir which leads to seal and hydraulic lock problems . I have 5 Maicos withs Ohlins and wouldn't run anything else .  A lack of adjusters shouldn't put you off .   Regards Scott

This can hapen no matter what brand the shock, if its been designed or modified or rebuilt incorrectly (setting of piston depth). The displaced oil from the shaft entering the shock has to go somewhere, so if the reservoir is not big enough to accomodate the oil displacement then ofcourse your gonna get a hydraulic lock which can bend shafts and do all sorts of things. Somethings gotta give. Ive done the measurements for some shocks with less than 1/2 dia shafts and worked out out how much oil is displaced over the length of the shaft and how much the reservoir piston moved and its not that much and you would have to set the piston way high for a lock to happen but theres so many variables.

Most guys reckon you dont need external adjusters, but i do like them on my WP's (White Power) just because they look cool and retro 8)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:49:28 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »
 i have a set of gazi remotes on a 77 rm125. external rebound/compression adj. $799. raced hard on them for 6 months and cant fault them so far.

montynut

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 10:14:45 pm »
Ross Ross Ross :( The frame colour of the 414 is definitely incorrect and the shock mounting bolts don't have little holes through them :o How the hell can you live with yourself for Gods sake  :P Where oh where did the side stand mount come from :o

:D ;D

Oh and I think YSS and Ohlins are great shocks so are WP along with several others. Much of a shocks performance comes down to how they are set up. A black art that only a few have mastered and unfortunately I am not included in the few.

Also love the Maico that this thread all started with. Top job. Pick the best shocks you can afford and from someone that gives you the confidence that you will get the support you need.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 10:20:15 pm by montynut »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »
Interesting how some one innocently asks for advice and the thread always seems to end up in a shit fight.
Also interesting the definitions of hydraulic lock .
If a closed container like a shock does not have enough "free" volume . ie gas volume .to allow the shaft to travel into the shock of course the shock will lock , or most likely the seals will blow out to allow the shaft to continue , or the shaft might give under the pressure and bend but that is not hydraulic lock .Hydraulic lock can in theory happen in a shock and is not really dependant on free volume in the shock to which allows the shaft to completely travel into the body its full length.
Its dependant on the volume of oil that can pass through whatever dampening oriface or restrictive passage there is for a given time.
Early prolink shocks had very small pasage for oil to flow from the shock to the res. The shaft wasnt that big but on compression the oil that it displaced was too much to travel from the shock to the res. This created what the mag testers called a "mid range spike" , its not really true hydraulic lock .

If you compressed those shocks by hand you would never feel it because you cant compress the shaft quick enough - the oil goes through at a relatively slow speed but hit a big whoop on the track and the speed and therefore the volume of oil per sec trying to get through was a problem . The mod at the time was to bore out the holes in the shock and the res. and this helped solve the problem.

The oil displaced by the shaft into the res. is regulated by to adjuster or hole at the res.and the shaft diameter ,bigger or smaller is relative to it.
The main valve in the shock isnt affected  by the shaft size but by the speed at which the shaft travels into the shock body.If the holes in the main valve are too small for the speed and volume of oil then "hydraulic lock" or "mid range spike " also happens.Both terms are not really correct IMO its just over dampening.
note ITC ohlins used an hydraulic lock type valve at the end of the shaft to help resist bottoming, similar to the bottom out cones on your forks- modern works and aftermarket suspensions use similar setups.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 10:27:04 pm »
I remember a mate telling me once that if you had sex while under water you could suffer from "hydraulic lock"
Or does this have something to do with shaft size, small passages, too much displacement and shaft speed of 38 m /per second or more .
Allthough apparently a the blow off valve can open and a lock as such can not occur .
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »
 :D :D :D :D

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 10:39:47 pm »
I remember a mate telling me once that if you had sex while under water you could suffer from "hydraulic lock"
Or does this have something to do with shaft size, small passages, too much displacement and shaft speed of 38 m /per second or more .
Allthough apparently a the blow off valve can open and a lock as such can not occur .

haha Geoff , hope your missus appreciates the amount of thought that you've obviously put into the main issue.

All Things 414

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:50 am »
Ross Ross Ross :( The frame colour of the 414 is definitely incorrect and the shock mounting bolts don't have little holes through them :o How the hell can you live with yourself for Gods sake  :P Where oh where did the side stand mount come from :o

Aw gee Greg. I'll go and kill myself right now.... :-X
a: That's the colour the frame was when I got the bike as ref side-stand mount. I had just a few other minor problems with the bike upon purchase re stuffed motor/carburation/air supply and everything else was just totally knackered.
b: Said shock bolts have been replaced by the proper ones I took off your VB after I sold it to you.  ;)

I appologise profusely for the inconveineance caused to yourself by showing such a sad standard of professionalism. I hope you didn't spill your cup of evening Milo over yourself in shock at witnessing such a poor speciman....... :-[

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 07:52:58 am »

a: That's the colour the frame was when I got the bike as ref side-stand mount. I had just a few other minor problems with the bike upon purchase re stuffed motor/carburation/air supply and everything else was just totally knackered.
b: Said shock bolts have been replaced by the proper ones I took off your VB after I sold it to you.  ;)

I appologise profusely for the inconveineance caused to yourself by showing such a sad standard of professionalism. I hope you didn't spill your cup of evening Milo over yourself in shock at witnessing such a poor speciman....... :-[

you might as well come clean and put the head light back on as well

montynut

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 08:53:01 am »

[/quote]

Point B - Do'oH I know and it has nawed at me ever since the 360 was unloaded

Appology accepted and yes the shock of the paint colour, side stand mount and shock bolts caused me to leave my scotch fingers bickie dunked in my Ovaltine (not milo thats for morning tea silly) for exactly 5 seconds too long and it just dropped right off which as you can imagine caused all hell to break out.