Author Topic: My 78 Maico project.  (Read 18182 times)

montynut

Re: My 78 Maico project.
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2010, 09:24:42 pm »
There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. Basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is therfore magnetic. These are formed from the addition of >10.5% chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon making them 'martensitic' and are often used in cutlery etc.

However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

Roostin440

« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2010, 11:25:02 pm »
Good information. I guess I'll put a regular stainless bolt and one of the new ones in a vise and give them a strength test.

All Things 414

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2010, 05:52:43 am »
There are several families of stainless steels with different physical properties. Basic stainless steel has a 'ferritic' structure and is therfore magnetic. These are formed from the addition of >10.5% chromium and can be hardened through the addition of carbon making them 'martensitic' and are often used in cutlery etc.

However, the most common stainless steels are 'austenitic' - these have a higher chromium content and nickel is also added. It is the nickel which modifies the physical structure of the steel and makes it non-magnetic.

No wonder you crash so much. All this stuff going through your head ('austenitic' indeed)..... :P

I have absolutely no what idea when it comes to nuts and bolts! :(. All I know is it's "left to loosen" however that's not always the rule when you ride Monts and at the bolt shop I always ask for "high tensile" so's I look as though i know what I'm talking about.
Stainless are the shiny ones right? :P
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:10:53 am by All Things 414 »

TooFastTim

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2010, 01:47:53 pm »

Thanks for that Montynut. I always thought it was the chrome that did in the ferous properties of iron

montynut

« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »
Yes Ross indeed it is 'austenitic' sometimes also known as 'gamma'.

I assume you carry a big shifter (left handed naturally) while you buy bolts to support your "high tensile" line of convicing them that you are a Bolt Guru  :D. I'm not a bolt expert. You know what they say about experts 'X' is an unknown quantity and 'pert' is a drip under pressure ;D

I didn't crash last weekend I did blow the crap out of an engine instead but I did not crash 8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:29:38 pm by montynut »