Author Topic: Proper passing?  (Read 11192 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Proper passing?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
For me rubbin's racin'. I race modern vets far more often than VMX now days, and as mentioned earlier it's a whole different ball game.
In either if you leave me enough room, I'll have a crack, at this point if your left on the ground, I have two seperate personal rules.
1.Moderns- I spray you with dirt and ride off, cause that's what you would do to me.
2. VMX - I stop, turn around, see if your o.k., let you go ahead of me, then try and get around cleanly on another corner.

I love this photo, Sean giving me a "ribbing", me giving him a "keep your chin up" ;D

Furry Muff.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 08:21:26 PM by evo550 »

Curly3

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
I couldn't agree more Retro,this is exactly my biggest fear after not having raced for close to 28 years. I was to have ridden last weekend at Nepean and dissapointingly the meeting was postponed.
At least on Dirt Track its rare that the races go long enough that the stragglers get lapped.
" Chuckin a Gillard " should become slang like the old " Captain Rats ".
Steve
P.S. I'm glad I won't be riding against my brother.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:19:43 PM by Curly3 »

ted

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago to a team owner and his young charge.

They were quite adamant that as long as you dont take your hands off the bars to punch, feet of the pegs to kick or centre punch them it is acceptable to elbow ( hands on bars ), knee ( feet on pegs ) and take out either of their wheels. Also they recommend once past, fill the guy in with as many rocks as you can so as he drops his head and loses pace. As they said " It is a f....n race isn`t it  "

Sounds like real fun stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »
we have covered some of this in various threads before including trying to convince Nathan why we need age racing  ;D but this is one of the reasons (aside from the multitude of others about fitness and skills levels  ;D) as to why I ride VMX and not vets - no real racing for sheep stations.  I had a handlebar bash with a friend for a lap or so (much emphasis on the so) a year or two ago and I still remember it for the fun it was and the way it was intended.  If I can I will "bash bars" but more often than not I wait for the right opportunity to pass my mate Mike and let the others pass me when needed  ::)

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

viper42

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »
Big K,
I applaude you for your admission,you forgot to mention I was on a 175 and you on a 390. Will be happy to shake hands at Ravenswoods and put it all behind.

Were all out there to have fun and go home safely to our families.

Viper 42

mx250

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »
Same old, same old - same old dirt, same old bikes, same old shit ;D.

At every level passing can cause controversy - just ask Casey and Valetino et al  :).

Some guys you can race with and lean on without probs, trust. Some guys you just want to stay a million miles away from - they are a danger to them selves and everyone around them - line them up get passed and motor away.

At CD's this just should happen but you can't legislate for brains unfortunately. It is an organisational prob which should be addressed by numbers on the track and grading of riders/bikes.

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 08:53:08 AM »
Your right there MX, last thing you would expect is to spend 7 hours in hospital and mounths recovering,after beeing taken out by some F!@k wit at a social ride. Make It worse, my fault or theres, not even a, sorry mate
Couple of CR`s

All Things 414

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Someone that gets T-boned ,  either runs too wide or to slow .  ;)  Someone that does T-bone people , is risking to crash him self also , therefore there must be feud or mental issues .  :D  So when you have someone like that behind you , keep it neat and tight . You are in front , and therefore YOU  are in charge .

Yeah I totally agree. the one doin' the T-boneing is the one more likely to hit the deck! I've felt bikes hitting the back or side of me on plenty of races and I doubt it even affects my bike at all. When I come around on the following lap sometimes there's a fallen rider where I felt the impact. Then I fill him in. :D In fact whenever I pass someone I always try and get as many big rocks/roost going backwards as I can. Grouse.

Whilst on the topic I've been oogling over Gary Bailey's "How to race motocross" from 1974 (Thanks Rocket) and he's all for block-passing (something that a lot of people seem to have kittens about). Reckon's it's totally legit and an incentive to ride a different line to the guy in front instead of following.
Good onya Proffesor! ;)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:29:25 PM by All Things 414 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 01:13:32 PM »
on ya  :D   All Things 414..tak'n it to a new level 8)
"How to block pass for dummies" thread  :D...
kill or be killed. :-\
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »
People can change attitude once they get behind the bars, i have seen "Dr Jeckle" turn into "Mr Hyde" many times when the adrenaline flows. i agree that this should not happen at a ride day, unfortunately it does and always will. thankfully its only a minority.

at CD7 i took the Suzuki's for test rides. almost immediately after Belly gave the talk about taking it easy out there and being courteous to others, its not a race, etc, etc i was out riding the suzuki and heard some drop punt yelling and screaming from behind me for 3 or 4 corners on the tight section over the back.

he finally passed me (cleanly i might add) and i thought who is that forkwit only to find out it was well known ex high level pro rider. i lost a lot of respect for him then and there, in fact i was so pissed by his attitude i want to confront him about it, once back in the pits i cooled down and brushed it off as adrenaline fuelled bullshit and not worth the time.

Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

All Things 414

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 01:50:12 PM »
on ya  :D   All Things 414..tak'n it to a new level 8)
"How to block pass for dummies" thread  :D...
kill or be killed. :-\
cheers

My pleasure. ;)
I know at riders brief (See. Another good reason to attend) they tell us that "Motorcycle racing is dangerous. You may be killed, have parts of your body removed or have your goolies lodged into your lower intestine by competing"
I've also read it on the entry somewhere.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
Quote from: VMX247 link=topic=14431.msg144379#msg144379
[color=red
My pleasure. ;)
I know at riders brief (See. Another good reason to attend) they tell us that "Motorcycle racing is dangerous. You may be killed, have parts of your body removed or have your goolies lodged into your lower intestine by competing"
I've also read it on the entry somewhere.
[/color]

yep  ;D  ;D  Haven't heard too many officials mention at a riders brief,that you will be faced with poor passing techniques or a chance of an aggressive rider parking bike parts in your orifices. ;D ;D
Then they wouldn't be too official would they. ::)
Have seen some strange wording in the ADB privacy notice back end too, all a bit strange some days this racing game.  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
On the rare occasion that I'm in a position to pass some-one I like to stay behind in striking distance and watch for a way to improve on their line, if I've figured that out before some one passes both of us, and know I can do it without damage to me or him I'll go for it. However that doesn't happen much these days. Now days I go for the hole shot and watch them as they fly past! Of course there will always be blokes that before putting their helmet on the head comes off and on goes the pumpkin. cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Mike

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »
Hey Rossco, look forward to some more of that "rubbing is racing" at Wandering and Narrogin, if you can keep up that is!!!
At each of our club days at VMXWA in the riders brief faster riders are asked to watch for slower riders and give way to them. ie pick your spot to pass. 
VMX is a fairly social sport.  If you have some prick pulling off block passes and terrorising others on the track just ostricise them in the pit by not talking to them.  Pretty soon they'll piss off enough people so the end up standing by themselves, not a very fun day out when everyone else is bench racing.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:20 PM »
I think that if someone is putting their front wheel up beside you then they would probably be marginally quicker than you but can’t quite get past you.

Choice one – If your paranoid about turning up for work on Monday then let them by.
Choice two - To block their moves is okay, but this signals that your up for the challenge so you have to wear it if it comes to bump and grind.

Same goes for the guy behind,
Choice one – If your paranoid about turning up for work on Monday then hang back until they make a mistake so you can get by cleanly.
Choice two - To move up aggressively is okay, but this signals that your up for the challenge so you have to wear it if it comes to bump and grind.

To purposefully take someone out isn’t acceptable but sometimes it’s easy to overcook it in the heat of the moment.
I’ve been on both sides of the fence here but have always worked it out with the guys I’ve tangled with as the entanglements weren’t intentional.

Then sometimes you just have to fight fire with fire.

Aggressive riding at ride days shouldn’t be acceptable but your probably dealing with a lot of guys that don’t have a lot of race experience just as much as your dealing with racers who don’t have a lot of social skills.
The Blue Light rally is a bit like that, everyone becomes twice as fast as they should be and ten times more unpredictable as they endeavor to beat their mates.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/