Author Topic: Ride for Kids with Cancer - Not VMX sorry!  (Read 4179 times)

Tony T

Ride for Kids with Cancer - Not VMX sorry!
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:25:52 pm »
Hope you don't mind, but I just wanted to put the word out about a ride that myself and journo Tony Kirby are doing in May/June to raise money for the Childhood Cancer Association in S.A.
We'll be leaving the Barossa on May 17 and returning on June 8 having covered nearly 8000kms around S.A. including some very remote areas along the SA/WA border and into the APY Lands.
Suzuki Australia have made a huge commitment to the ride and are providing the DL650 V-Stroms that we'll ride along with heaps of other support through the dealer network. (I wanted to ride my SP370 but they didn't think is was such a good idea............... ) We'll modify the bikes a fair bit by taking some weight off, Frank Pons doing the suspension, Staintune exhausts and lots of Touratech gear.
Two Wheels Magazine are running a whole series or articles on the preparation and the trip itself and there looks like being a DVD for sale afterwards as well.
There will be a couple of raffles. One with over $15000 worth of wine as a prize and another with motorcycle stuff including a Suzuki quad or minibike.
The start and finsh events are going to be huge in their own right. Both held at Whistler Wines with the start featuring a whole village of Barossa wineries set up so you can do a wine tour of the Barossa without leaving the one spot, along with bands and heaps of stuff for the kids to do.
If anyone feels inclined to help or just wants to be added to the email list for updates, send me a pm or email. The more we can help these kids,the better.
The raffle tickets will probably be for sale at Suzuki dealers, you will be able to donate directly into the bank account or you can contact me directly if you have any other ideas or requests.
Keep an eye out for link to the site from www.childhoodcancer.asn.au
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:36:19 pm by Tony T »

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
Re: Ride for Kids with Cancer - Not VMX sorry!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:52:47 pm »
Good on ya Tony  why dont you keep us all up to date right here and edit the title ,there no need to say sorry no one could begrudge you posting it here.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 01:57:10 pm »
i reckon we need to have an 'off topic' section for this general interest stuff like we had on the old forum
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 03:35:22 pm »
Good on you Tony. A great adventure for a great cause. You and Kirby may just become Australias own Ewan and Charley! Give my regards to Kirby too. I haven't spoken to him in ages. 

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:45:55 pm »
Good on ya Tony, and is there a bottle or 6 of Penfolds 'Grange Hermitage' ;D ya gotta love that stuff ;D.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 06:33:41 pm »
Thanks for the support fellas.
I can't lose out of this one. I get to go riding for more than 3 weeks without having to explain it to my wife, all for the price of fuel and normal daily expenses.  ;D  Plus we get to help build some accomodation for these kids and their families when they have to come to Adelaide for treatment.
As for the grog, no idea what's going to be in there as yet. But pretty much every Barossa winery is pitching in.
Especially Whistler Wines who are putting on the start and finish events all at their own expense. Plus they're giving us profits from wine sales on the each day. 
Everyone I have spoken to has been so willing to help, it's been amazing. TK has put in a huge effort already. Without him, it wouldn't be anywhere near the event it's turning out to be.
All just because I came up with this silly idea as an excuse to go for a ride and hopefully raise a few bucks on the side...................

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 08:02:17 pm »
Good on ya Tony. Damn good idea,I hope the rest of the media can get behind it and raises plenty.hope it goes well.Cheers .

Tony T

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 07:54:17 am »
Just a quick update if anyone's interested.
We've finalised the route and it will be as follows:
Sat May 17 Start event @ Whistler Wines. At least 15 wineries, food, and heaps of kids activities. Overnight at Marion Bay
Sun May 18 Pt. Augusta*
Mon May 19 Pt. Lincoln*
Tues May 20 Ceduna*
Wed May 21 Eucla
Thurs May 22 & Fri May 23 SA/WA border region
Sat May 24 Wingellina
Sun May 25 Kulgera
Mon May 26 Coober Pedy
Tues May 27 Roxby Downs*
Wed May 28 Service day in Roxby Downs
Thurs May 29 Oodnadatta
Fri May 30 Freeth Junction approx.
Sat May 31 Birdsville
Sun June 1 Innamincka
Mon June 2 Broken Hill*
Tues June 3 Service day in Broken Hill
Wed June 4 Renmark*
Thurs June 5 Naracoorte
Friday June 6 Mt. Gambier*
Sat June 7 Goolwa????
Sun June 8 Tanunda Finish Event @ Whistler Wines
The ones with an asterix next to them are where we are holding fundraising events.

I'm going over to Victoria next week to start fiddling with the bike set up.
Other than that, it's just been lots of admin/fundraising/sponsorship stuff in the past few weeks.
I'm constantly amazed at how big this is getting and how generous people are. Even though Suzuki are supplying our bikes, I got an email yesterday asking for the bank account details as someone aligned with another manufacturer wanted to write a cheque. 
FWIW here are the details if anyone feels like helping as well.
ANZ Bank
Account Name: Elliot's Big Ride
BSB: 015726
Account Number: 485683005

Just send me an email or pm with your details so I can send out a receipt though. It's all tax deductable.
Thanks fellas.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 08:12:32 am »
being the father off a child who has a fatal  illness and not a  long life expendencie  i salute you tony and any one who does anything to help sick children  ..the heart ache  and feeling of total helplessness is something i would not want  any parent to have to suffer .but allas they do and life is cruel  ,you have my vote

firko

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 08:22:13 am »
That goes for me too. I truly admire the spirit behind the event Tony. I'll pop a quid or two into the kitty and I hope others on the forum do the same. Good causes aside, it should be a great adventure for you two Tonys . Are you going to document it for a magazine piece?

Tony T

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 08:32:14 am »
I must say Paul, that I've had to remind myself a couple of times about why we're doing this. I sometimes get caught up in the decisions about what colour helmet I should get, or which new GPS I want.
But when I seriously think about it, it's being able to help not only the kids, but their whole families and make life just that little bit easier for them. And if I ever begin to lose my way again, all it takes is a visit to the Childhood Cancer Association to remind me of how lucky I am.
How lucky the vast majority of us are..................

Yeah Firko, Tony Kirby has already started his series of stories on Two Wheels magazine this month and it will continue for about 6 issues I think. He'll go through the preparation and then the ride itself. Jeremy Bowdler, editor of Two Wheels throwing a big effort at this too. Not only from his own magazine, but by helping to 'muscle' other media as well.   :)
TK has also been getting into video production of late, so we'll put together a DVD for sale as well.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:35:18 am by Tony T »

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:41:00 am »
Tony, this story is worthy of maximum coverage.
Have you considered approaching the ABC; it sounds like something 'Australian Story' could be interested in?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Tony T

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 12:09:00 pm »
Not a bad thought, Wombat.
I had thought of Stateline which is an S.A. thing on Friday nights, but having another option for them might help. Now I just need a contact at ABC TV...............
Despite my connection with one TV network, I haven't any luck with any television as yet. As much as I hate it, getting on the tele would help get some more dollars I reckon.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 01:29:38 pm »
Tony, I called the ABC here in Brisbane and asked for an address to send an 'Australian Story' idea.
The lady said "hold on I'll pop you through".
Another lady from 'Australian Story' answered my call.
No recorded message! If only all Government Departments were as helpful!!

Anyhoos, she advised their Aust Story web site is the place to go.
They have a link there for story ideas at;  www.abc.net.au/austory
I went to the site and the link is half way down on the right, 'Got a story idea?'

I checked the link - and that's as far as I went.
Good luck.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Tony T

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 01:33:55 pm »
Great stuff, Wombat! Thanks for that, I owe you one.  ;D
I'll check it out right now and let you know how I go.