Author Topic: KLX shocks??  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Grunter215

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
KLX shocks??
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »
Due to the long lenght etc what shocks are people using on KLX250.Comparing cost/performance, any opinions??

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: KLX shocks??
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:32:11 pm »
Not many places have off the shelf shocks for these that are the right overall length, travel, body and eye length etc. They are an odd shock. Fairly long body, long stroke and long overall length, then they have that cone shaped spacer above the eye that acts as a travel reducer as well which needs to be taken into consideration. Pretty much nothing off another bike is ideally suitable. ITC shocks are about the same length but don’t have enough travel and the bodies are too long. You cant simply fit a shorter eye, longer shaft and shorter body to make them like the KLX shocks because the ITC has the hydraulic bottom out housed in the top of the body which is in the way so your better off to get new bodies which are about $30-35 US each. A few places like Works and Falcon have them and most other companies like Ohlins can specially make them. You would still be up for around $900-$1200 though. Someone told me that there is going to be a guy in Australia offering new Ohlins for VMX bikes for a really good price, but im not sure if that has eventuated. With Piggyback Ohlins you got to modify your muffler/pipe or use a different one and there is a bit of work needed to be done to the sidecover which I was told because of the piggyback res getting in the way. With remotes you don’t have that problem though. You might find some el-cheapos for a couple hundred dollars but they wont perform very well or last. Don’t overlook getting the standard ones rebuilt though, They would almost be the next best option to getting some top shelf shocks because they are dimensionally right. Its takes bit of work to do it all properly and improve them a bit but it can be done but its still going to be  several hundred or more to do a good job. You can fit Ohlins pistons or modern KYB pistons inside them.  I got the Ohlins part numbers to build KLX shocks out of Ohlins bits and I was going help a guy with a KLX do it using some donor bits from some Husqvarna shocks, but he has now just decided to use the husqvarna shocks as they are now, even if the stroke is too short. I don’t know what his long term plans are. Theres pretty much only one combination of Ohlins parts to use to make them dimensionally the same as the original shocks. It all depends on what your using the bike for, eg high end VMX racing, or just non competive trail/vinduros etc.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:36:41 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 12:13:16 pm »
One more thing comes to my mind , if you want keep the shocks looking original . For all 36 mm ID shock bodies we make a kit . That consists of new rod end , shaft , seal block , endcap  and a modern piston and shim set up that works alot better . It looks like original but works much better .

What sort of money for this option?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:07:15 pm »
I really would love to know how to rebuild the original shocks  ;D
Any info would be gratefully received.
Mine are still working fine, but there will come a time so .....
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »
 I put a set of OHlins from a Red Rocket on my KLX
The guy was a touch lighter than me. I backed off the preload and they are fine. The shocks are 17.5" so I dropped the yokes a bit to compensate. They work really well

maicoman

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 05:10:03 pm »
I'm debating a similar thing with my PE400. A bit soft in the back and they aren't the best handling bike, but with some decent suspenders :o they will benefit. I looked at Husky club and they can make any Ohlins shocks to suit. They are fully adjustable and rebuildable unlike PE and alot of other shocks out there. Price was around $900US, pricey but a nice touch to a resto.

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 05:11:40 am »
 I payed about £170 all in

TM BILL

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 07:45:42 pm »
RMS engineering will rebuild your originals (and they are rebuildable from then on)

Does a great job all workmanship gauranteed .

Would cost you approx NZ$850.00 plus postage

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 11:25:54 pm »
and that's with comp and rebound adjusters Walter ???

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 08:00:04 am »
…and the C 362 ( Piggyback ) 899.00 in lenghts up to 460 mm

Watler,
Can you supply some details on these please [and then I will give you some feedback].
Thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 09:05:57 am »
Do you have a photo of the C 362?
I can't see them on your website.
Thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 08:40:43 am »
 What is the stroke?