Author Topic: CD 7 Legend Rider No 32 on Maico  (Read 6945 times)

firko

Re: CD 7 Legend Rider No 32 on Maico
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:36:27 pm »
So true Roger....When I interviewed Craig Dack for an ADB article prior to CD4 at Broadford I asked him if he'd be hanging around to catch up with old mates and check out the vintage stuff, he looked at me with a funny look and said that he's not remotely interested in the old stuff. When we'd finished our photo shoot he and the CDR crew  out of there as quick as a flash...as if they didn't want to allow themselves to be infected by the vintage 'disease'.

The main reason I stopped writing for ADB after 22 years was that I was sick of defending vintage bikes to Wigan and others within the inner sanctum. They continually referred to them as old shit and showed an ever shortening comittment to vintage MX. It was a big joke to them....which was evident in the crap they had me doing. They didn't, and still don't get it.

They're not all like that though. Back in the early 90's I spent a day with Guy'Airtime' Cooper and was pleasantly surprised to find that he had a collection of vintage bikes including, naturally, a couple of Coopers. He was in the middle of restoring his dads old Montesa Cappra GP at the time.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 07:15:11 am »
I saw Guy Cooper at the Ekka Supercross in Bris Vegas in the early 90's....could out jump everyone by a mile, was riding for KTM. I had a video...DVD? of "Coop", about his carreer and his shed was to die for...and full of bikes!!! I dont think he got rid of any. I wonder if he does any sort of vintage in the States? He also was a Suzuki rider most of his carreer so maybe another for the boy's to entice over to ride the BEST VMX track in the world. (Conondale of course) ;D. Firko, what happened to Super Hunky?. Remember boy's, the Conondale Classic is on in a few weeks, not too late to enter!.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Turtle.Inc

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 07:58:06 am »
Cheers for that. No relation to the Beetle? ;D ;D
given he used to ride for Suzuki,
where is he?
he'd be an asset to CD.
i saw him wheelie an RM250 around raymond terrace in the lunch break of a MR motocross.
cool.
and i saw him going bar to bar with Andrew Bailey at Tuckerimba {via Lismore} on a Husky back in the late 70's with a flat tire.
way cool.......
Pretty sure hes riding enduros around with chris watson around the back blocks of cessnock/wollombi nowadays.
Always looking for Maico parts/bikes, cash paid

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 10:46:31 am »
What about Graeme Smythe? Frank Stanborough would love to catch up with his old Kawasaki team rider. 

I'll put all me polite airs and graces on when I hopefully catch up with Graeme and stick a CD7 flyer in his hand in August  ;D  ;)
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 11:08:37 am »
They're not all like that though. Back in the early 90's I spent a day with Guy'Airtime' Cooper and was pleasantly surprised to find that he had a collection of vintage bikes including, naturally, a couple of Coopers. He was in the middle of restoring his dads old Montesa Cappra GP at the time.

Guy's a pretty handy trials rider too (as is Kevin Schwantz). I think Guy just loves bikes and the people that ride 'em.

firko

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 11:38:36 am »
When I met Guy, he'd just been presented with a Vintage Iron restored Cooper and was hanging to get out to the desert and give it a fang. We met up a couple of days later and I was blown away by his collection of 'stuff'. He was the top supercross racer in the USA at the time but his heart was in the history and old bikes of the sport as much as it was for his works Suzukis* and his modern racing 'profession'.
 On the local front, Superbike legend Shawn Giles posesses the same cool attitude. Shawn has a pretty impressive collection of vintage motocrosser's and dirt trackers including a very nice Honda XL420 powered Cheney. He's indicated many times that once his racing career is over he'll compete at the odd VMX meeting. He was a regular on his Elsinore 125 before contractual obligations stepped in to prevent him riding in amateur events. Don't let Shawns road racing career make you think he's a 'one trick pony'. He's a very good A grade standard motocross rider and exceptional dirt tracker as those who remember his amazing battles with Eddie Warren at the Bathurst Long Track back in the 90's.

* Guy Coopers factory Suzuki from 1990/91 was owned by a bloke in Muswellbrook or Singleton whose name I've forgotten. He actually used the bike, still resplendent in its Surf washing powder sponsors livery, as a marshalls bike at the '92 Cessnock ISDE. I rode the bike around for a few hours during the 6 day and was amazed at the unbelievable engine. It had power all over the range but was as easy to ride at trail speeds as an XR250. It was a very trick unit, I wonder if he's still got it?

TooFastTim

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 11:45:20 am »
Having raced 125's in enduros I know you can (with liberal use of the clutch) get away with some impressive antics.

A few years ago I bumped into Peter Williams of Norton fame. He summed it up nicely when he said: "it's the people man, the people that keep us in this sport.".

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 12:41:19 pm »
Bahnsy i was talking to a bloke from victoria at CD and mentioned running the Unzud round of Mr Motocross for Vince tossarero and mentioned bringing Mike landerman to unzud he has been working on getting himover his bad blood with another top rider to get him to a C/D
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina