Author Topic: Foot Peg Widening For Dummies  (Read 10748 times)

Ji Gantor

Re: Foot Peg Widening For Dummies
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:21:25 am »
Well for those that have worked S/S you will know that you require HSS drill bits minimum I used cobalt.
Cutting the stuff is not easy with a hacksaw.
And if the average guy does not have access to a TIG welder its game over.
Mild steel is the best.
Chrome molly would work okay but again hard to get and not cheap.

Ji

nipplesX2

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »
You know, I am not sure if you think that most people on this forum are that stupid that we should require lessons on how to make up wider footpegs.  All the people I know on this site have the common sense and the ability to make and probably already have made them over their life time before GMC started making them.
So are you taking the piss or placing yourself above us mere mortals who have been around this game for so long we have forgotten more than you will ever know

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 12:50:48 pm »
Mate I am watching alot of things Ji posts even though I may not reply I have never made footpeg wideners he's not making you look if you don't want to. People on here would have common sense but that doesn't mean they know how to do everything I doubt Ji would know how to make a rocket ship maybe he could. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Ji Gantor

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 12:55:44 pm »
Hi NipplesX2,
Are you Paul Chippendale?

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »
Hi Paul,
No I am not taking the P...
No I am not putting myself above anyone here.
I said there are heaps of ways to make foot peg wideners I also stated that this is how I made some.
Not trying to force anyone to follow my lead just trying to show that it is not that hard to do.
Also for those that don't want to make them just buy them from GMC or even Geoff Ballard. GB sells them for $40.00.

If you are Paul Chippendale I am sorry my posts affend you.
Thanks again for the Maico triple clamp you gave me at CD6.

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel just trying to help those that are new to VMX and this forum. There are new players every 6 months and they need a little help, friendship and guidance.

For the members that have been here or in VMX for years I do agree that they will know more than I do. I just wish they would post some how to stuff which is what I am interested in.

Ji
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:18:43 pm by Ji Gantor »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:13:15 pm »
i trip over 3mm plate evreyday at work but i wouldn't piss on it if it was a footpeg.
stick with the stainless.
all that hole drilling made me dizzy ji.
i just bend some 3mm stainless around a bit of pipe in the vice then after i've welded it to the origional footpeg i nick some grooves in it with the good old angle grinder.
i don't like the idea of drilling holes in stainless let alone that many.
if you do drill S.S. then a slow drill speed is optimal. ;)
i weld mine with the MIG using 309 wire.
"flat bickie"

Ji Gantor

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »
That is a great add to this topic Vandy.
I did not mean that S/S can not be welded to mild steel by a MIG.
It can but to purchase a roll of S/S wire is expensive.
I have heard of people MIG welding S/S to mild steel with mild steel wire and having no problems.
I don't know how that would work long term.
Could even start to rust badly.

Yes I didn't want to drill all them holes either. I usually break drill bits drilling S/S. I can't tell you how many thread taps I have seen break in S/S.

The grinder would be a lot faster.

Ji

firko

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 04:01:27 pm »
I'll get howled down for daring to use anything Chinese on my bikes but I don't care. A neater, cheaper lazy boy alternative to rooting around with scrap steel, grinders and drills is to buy a nice set of $15forged stainless steel Chinese pitbike footpegs off eBay. As I exclusively revealed a few months ago, a friend actually visited the distributor in China and noted that the only difference between these and the pegs you'll pay $199+ for from the cool aftermarket shops is the packaging. I've got these on most of my bikes and they are not only solid and well designed, they also look period enough to pass scrutiny from the Period Police (of which I'm a serving member).

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/pitbike-thumpstar-H-DUTY-FOOTPEGS-/380227978875?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58875a867b#ht_500wt_849

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 04:07:27 pm »
nipples x2 if its you paul you will need to learn to make a list of rules for peg making like Ji
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Ji Gantor

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »
Hey Firko,
What bikes do they fit?

Ji

firko

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:23 pm »
These particular pegs fit my Cheney (i have to drill the hole out a little) and on the Metisse and B&S TM400 I used Chinese pegs to suit an RM125 but unfortunately I can't remember what model....something latish. I think Doc may have bought similar pegs a while ago so maybe he knows. I'll run some photos off tomorrow.

Ji Gantor

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 04:43:23 pm »
Sounds great,
Are they really pre75 legal?
They do look a bit thin on the side plates but if they work, cool

Ji

firko

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 05:05:28 pm »
Solid as a rock...they're forged stainless steel, what do you expect to hit with them anyway? Why wouldn't they be legal for pre '75? I think you may sometimes confuse what's rulebook legal and what's aesthetically acceptable......they're two different things. These pegs are legal because there's nothing in the rules to tell you what pegs you can or can't use. I also think these particular pegs fit in with the aesthetics of the period of the bike but I'd think that the pegs below don't fit those period aesthetics but are still legal by the book. They're just wrong for vintage bikes. I bought a set but they looked dumb so I gave them to a mate to put on his late model.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2010, 05:12:02 pm »
I agree with you there Firko, annodized bits on old bikes look silly if you check out some of the "trick yz's" etc in the US they just appear so overdone there is nothing wrong with alot of period looking parts they perform just as good or better than alot of bling bits.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2010, 05:50:38 pm »
http://www.ballards.cc/catalogue-2010

Check Page 40  ;D

Re chinese pit bike pegs, if i was never going to stand up or jump the bike then maybe i'd think about using them otherwise not a hope in hell. Having come off a jump with a set of pivot pegs and snapped the pivot bolt on the landing, there is no way i'd trust some muk-metal pegs, its real ordinary what happens when your foot comes off, or brakes a peg when you least expect it to happen.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn