Poll

The pre-78 Nationals should be included with...

the pre-75 Nationals.
78 (78%)
the Evo and newer Nationals.
14 (14%)
where-ever - I don't care.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Nationals split: pre-75 or pre-78?  (Read 49805 times)

Offline bert

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Nationals split: pre-75 or pre-78?
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 07:32:43 pm »
The suspension travel limitation is the only way to divide the requirements for a nationals.
pre 65, pre70 and pre75 will flourish in their 7 and 4 suspendered machines.

Pre 78, pre 80 (maybe) and pre 85 will also flourish with their equally suspendered requirements.

This was realised a long time ago by the foundation committeee of the VMXWA club. If you restrict the eligible machines to the original vintage concept of 7 and 4 (as per the GCR's) then there is no need to consider the later machines. By considering and allowing the longer travel mahines, you make it easier for people to ride. The easier it is, the more people will go for it, therefore relegating the less suspendered brothers to the shed.

Sure this is based on club level competition, but the fact remains - the success of this club has revolved around this concept that has seen the membership continually grow over the last 15 years to a membership approaching 150.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 08:04:53 pm »
At National level, you can already ride a longer-travel bike.
If your logic was correct, then everyone would be racing pre-85 bikes and nobody would be racing the pre-78 and older bikes - but in reality, the pre-75 class remains the strongest.

Also, the majority of pre-78 bikes have suspension travel that's closer to the pre-75 bikes than the Evo bikes.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2010, 09:19:36 pm »
Bert - I actually prefer my pre 75 bike to my pre 85 bike because that is the easier to ride with this old fart body.  Don't forget - with the advent of longer travel suspension tracks were made by design significantly rougher.  Regardless I prefer the pre 75 - no matter what is on offer!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

firko

« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2010, 09:45:01 pm »
I'm only going to Australia Zoo with Firko if Rolf Harris is there too.
Count me out if that she devil Bindi is on duty, even if it is a chance to throw stones at Rolf Harris. >:( I'd rather discuss titanium brake stays and and Argon pressure philosophy with Ji than venture anywhere near that evil empire. The ghost of Jo Bjelke-Petersen and everything wrong with the world lurks in that godforsaken hell hole. :o

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 08:02:59 am »
Check out the "FAMOUS PEOPLE" thread.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

DR

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 01:15:26 pm »
that's Joh with an H Mark ;) to some he was an inspiration, lets not be too judgmental as perspectives can and do change throughout our entire life. If you personally 'believe' in something then who is to say what is right and what is wrong other than yourself and your own intuition. I think we need to look at ourselves and the positive changes we can make before we start criticizing those who had/have the courage to act upon their own beliefs and ideals. I wasn't a big Joh fan either but that's not to say I didn't have respect for him. He acted upon his instincts and resisted in the face of adversity. That to me is courage regardless of whether or not I agreed with his decisions. Bindi is just a little kid who is not allowed to be herself for the simple reason others have different expectations of what she should and shouldn't be.This is quite possibly molding her into something she is not and never wanted to be. Let her mature and start making some decisions for herself before we throw her to the lions ;)   

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 01:37:29 pm »
 ;D
Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen's Famous Pumpkin Scones

Chef: Lady Florence Bjelke-Petersen

This recipe is courtesy of the website www.southburnett.net

Degree of difficulty: Low

You need:
1 Tblsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed pumpkin (cold)
2 cups Self raising flour

Method:
Beat together butter, sugar and salt with electric mixer.
Add egg, then pumpkin and stir in the flour.
Turn on to floured board and cut.
Place in tray on top shelf of very hot oven 225-250c for 15-20 minutes.

firko

« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 01:48:40 pm »
Lighten up a bit Doc, the Bindi thing is only a piss take, nothing personal against the poor manipulated little tyke. It's a joke mate. ::)
Discussing Joh might create a shit storm as I understand that there are a lot of Queenslanders on the forum who probably voted for the old scallywag. I'll let that one go for another time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 02:38:43 pm by firko »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 03:14:42 pm »
Gee, where is this thread going what road or track is it taking, this thread is about the split, has it happen yet. which direction are we heading. I need to know, l want to talk about bikes not Bindi or Big John.

DR

« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 03:37:47 pm »
Lighten up a bit Doc

:D sorry about that chief ;)

oldfart

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »
Bring back Joh and big Russ .....labour is farking this state up big time. 

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 04:53:44 pm »
My feelings about the split, pre 75 only nationals, and pre 90, pre 85 , 80, 78 nationals

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »
My feelings about the split, pre 75 only nationals, and pre 90, pre 85 , 80, 78 nationals
Other than because you prefer pre 75, do you have a real reason for this Dave?
If you voted with your head instead of your heart (stolen from another on this subject), you would come to one rational decision and that is pre78 split.

As been said before and to outline again the reasons pro '78 again are:
Pre 60 is almost dead at national level ( sad)
Pre 65 isn't much better ( ditto)
Pre 70 is dodgy as well (going that way as well)
Pre 75 still doing well on most to all fronts (great!)
To have three sick classes and just the one great class is a worry with regards to numbers for a national event.

Now the other side(the dark side ooooh!)
Evo is very strong and probably is the biggest class
Pre 85 is already close behind and would still be on the incline
Pre 90 is the new kid on the block and will go from strength to strength.
The numbers will be good at worst to great so it will be fine as a stand alone meeting.

We could only hope that the split will be positive and maybe a few old girls will come back into the fray, but there won't be full grids will there?
Pre 78 will help to make a great edition to to early classes to help make sure the meeting is viable

The ONLY reason given so far in this discussion is the 7'' and 4''.
To repeat myself, think logically instead of with your heart.
This was realised a long time ago by the foundation committeee of the VMXWA club. If you restrict the eligible machines to the original vintage concept of 7 and 4 (as per the GCR's) then there is no need to consider the later machines. By considering and allowing the longer travel mahines, you make it easier for people to ride. The easier it is, the more people will go for it, therefore relegating the less suspendered brothers to the shed.
That has some merit. I missed your post until I finished this one. I still stand by this post as we both know this is at National level, not club. Surely pro pre75 guys can swallow pre 78 for one meeting when it arises, once, probably every three or four years?

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 05:57:35 pm »
Hey Bert, can you give me an idea of numbers you get to a club day (roughly) out of curiosity. Especially the pre 60 and 65's.
Cheers, Brad.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 06:27:18 pm »
Brad - pre 75 in WA goes from bad (loose term) meetings of around 40 riders to top of the Wazza (Wandering etc) of around 100-110.  Better meets somewhere in between around 60-65?  But I can't tell you the earlier split. Because we race by Rider grade and not so much eras.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica