Author Topic: My vintage supermoto  (Read 24009 times)

Offline Christo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
My vintage supermoto
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:46:41 pm »
I have wanted to build my own bike for a while. A couple of weeks ago I picked up this 1980 Suzuki DR400 which came exactly as pictured.
I want to build a vintage supermoto with 17 inch wheels which I bought last year. Then I came across the 1974 KX450 engine you
see pictured. Will make a very interesting project. The plan is to re-assemble the DR and get it registered before doing the mods.
The KX is a torque monster and quite rare I believe, if anyone has any parts for sale then let me know.
You can check out my blog at http://crispycycles.blogspot.com/

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: My vintage supermoto
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 04:04:27 pm »
Welcome -Interesting Blog ..where are you going to be racing ?
cheers west Oz
Best is in the West !!

DR

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 05:16:45 pm »
hello Christo, I can understand the idea of a motard type conversion for the DR400 and it could be something very special 8) but I can't come to grips with the KX450 transplant :-\ I honestly feel after all the time and effort it wouldn't be a happy combination. A nice DR400 powered DR400 is actually quite collectible in itself. A nicely done motard DR could also be quite desirable. Your project obviously and I look forward to seeing the results whatever you decide ;)   

Offline Christo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 09:19:30 pm »
I'm think I'm going to save the old KX engine for something else. I still have to sources the electrics, carb & exhaust etc.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:27:34 pm »
Are you aware what a KX450 engine is worth?
The bikes were few and far between and parts even more so. I think you'd find it may be worth some reasonble $'s
My best mate is looking for a crank for one at the moment.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »
I reckon a DR400 supermotard would be a ripper. Back in the day me and a few mates had dirt track trail/enduro bikes that we'd ride on the street - my PE250 ran RM cylinder and pipe and 19" front wheel and it was good fun around town. Another mate built this very tidy 1985 XR600 motard.

Offline Christo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:53 pm »
I have done a fair bit of searching on the web for KX450 info and have found some info including an old video on youtube.
It looks like there may be another one in Perth. I see there is an article on the 74 kX450 in the next VMX magazine.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:02:52 pm by Christo »

colmoody

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:00:58 pm »
Graeme thats a very tidy looking xr600 motard. The ideal ride to work bike I reckon. Any chance you can pm me your full name and postage address please Graeme.

Offline Christo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 01:19:47 am »
This is what the bike looks like at the moment. I am going to test all the wiring before going any further. I just need to buy a new ignition switch and battery.

Offline Christo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 01:27:02 am »
While I am waiting for a rectifier to come from Japan, I decided to tackle painting the tank. It was always going to be painted matt black. But what to do with the tank decals?
Seeing as how this is a vintage project I thought it would be appropriate to use some vintage materials. So I am experimenting with the use of wood veneer as a panel on the sides. The lighter colour is teak and the darker one is wenge. I must admit that I did not like it much at first, but it is definitely growing on me.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:33:08 am »
Mate, your going to the same place as Ji.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

All Things 414

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 07:47:26 am »
Mate, your going to the same place as Ji.

Yup!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 07:58:48 pm »
how did that beach boys song go, I gotta DR400 & they call it a woody surf city here we come

Offline Hakans beer stop

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 03:28:32 pm »

Hello Christo. Looks like you'll make a nice Job of it if the tank is anything to go by. Makes a nice change to see something a bit different from "the usual" tank finishes. Look forward to seeing the finished result in due course. :)