Author Topic: VMX parts market spreading globally  (Read 4788 times)

firko

VMX parts market spreading globally
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:01:57 am »
Hows this one for left field.  Being in need of a set of chrome old school bars I saw the below listing and decided to give it a punt. They're made by the Royal Enfield company in India which I found interesting so I purchased 'em. That was on Monday 26th and they arrived this morning making it 4 days from purchase to delivery, all the way from Dehli, India!
The quality is excellent, the rise (4") perfect for old bikes . I'm going to buy more. I also got my spoke set from Thailand this morning and I'm very happy with them as well. When these third world manufacturers are getting into VMX production it has to be an indication that the market has grown to become an important one.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270558713425&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: VMX parts market spreading globally
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:20:23 am »
Ditto the electonic ignitions for my BSAs have started life in India.

I have been buying NOS RM plastics and bits from Thailand with no hassles at all. Also they seem to be producing some pretty good replica stuff. A lot of those countries made Japanese trail bikes under license that have parts common the MXers, so good source of NOS controls and detail bits.
formerly Marc.com

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:54 am »
  hey firko I need some bars like those what was the cost landed, i suppose it would work out better to buy a few sets? Marc, what was the ignition for? B44 was that ebay? and what did that work out at ,cheers

TT

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:54:28 am »
Not saying that this is the case here, but I've heard of a couple of cases where brake and clutch levers have broken because of the poor quality of the metal. That would be scary!  :o
Bars are a different thing, but something to keep in mind with certain parts maybe?
That said, one of my '68 CT's runs rims and spokes from Thailand. Under a hundred bucks landed and quality looks good.  ;D

firko

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:08:09 pm »
hey firko I need some bars like those what was the cost landed

The shipping cost $26.50US which when added to the $24.50US works out at $50US. I've had a closer look out in the sun and have noticed that the polishing is a bid dull around the crossbrace welds but I'll give 'em a buff myself which should fix the very slight flaw. Other than that, I'm pretty pleased.

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:25 pm »
Cheap handlebars! What could possibly go wrong?

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:20:11 pm »
:D :D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:36 pm »
  hey firko I need some bars like those what was the cost landed, i suppose it would work out better to buy a few sets? Marc, what was the ignition for? B44 was that ebay? and what did that work out at ,cheers

Yeah they advertise them on ebay for about $80. Nice sort of universal looking singles kit, didn't look like it would be a big stretch to use it on TT500 either.
formerly Marc.com

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:49:01 pm »
Do they do cheap brakes as well?

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:57:53 pm »
:D :D
could'nt be any worse than the spagetti bars we used right thru the early 60's/70's ,the thing is they look right on pre 75 bike's ::)

firko

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 01:36:55 pm »
Good point but I reckon the risks less than using a second hand set picked up off eBay, some shitbox at a wreckers or at a swapmeet. Who knows where they come from and what they've been through. At least I know who the manufacturer is and know these are new. ;)
As far as levers go, learn to tell cast from forged and only buy Magura or OEM. You'll never regret it.

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 01:56:43 pm »
I got some NOS Bultaco bars from Don Newell for I think $50 for what it's worth. Jerry

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »
Did you get a free rail ticket to see India as well Mark?....you fell into that one.....bit like chinka footpegs..........would you really run the risk of becoming a cripple with plastic steel footpegs?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

firko

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »
I'm already a cripple. :'(.  I've had Chinese stainless steel footpegs on two of my bikes for a fair while and as we say in Spain, "no hay problema". It's worth the experiment on the handlebars. Royal Enfield has been making good solid motorbikes in New Delhi for decades. The bikes are pretty solid old things that'll rarely let you down. Why wouldn't their handlebars be decent? AsHuskibul wrote the Japanese bars from the seventies that you blokes all seem to idolise were soft crap, the Royal Enfield stuff would have to be better than them. It wouldn't be hard.
Here's the crunch on pegs......Jonesy does business in China on a regular basis and during some research he discovered that nearly  all of the high falootin' expensive brand fatty pegs you pay $100 plus for at Ballards or your local bike emporium are made in the same factories that make the pitbike stuff. Except for the graphics and flash packaging, they're the exact same item.
Granted, a lot of the Chinese stuff is crapola, built to a price but if you took the time to scratch the surface you'd find some really good stuff that make even the big name products look dodgy by comparison.
I'm old enough to remember when everyone laughed at Japanese bikes, now look at what they make. Beware of the Chinese once they start to get it right.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:13:48 pm by firko »

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »
Chinese Bultaco parts. Interesting! Jerry