Poll

What Nationals would you ride if they were split?

Pre 78 and earlier only.
48 (48.5%)
Evo and later only.
23 (23.2%)
Probably only the closest event that year
5 (5.1%)
Both. I just can't get enough.
16 (16.2%)
Neither. It's just too damn dangerous....
7 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?  (Read 40475 times)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45:28 am »
Two main points
Running the Nats over one weekend is old skool thinking. Stop trying to fit into two days and most your problems go away. Most guys now who are really into Vintage can afford to take some real time off or just come to their events if the programme is done correctly. I do know that makes it harder for a club to run it but, running a Nats properly is a great money maker for any club you just need outside assistance with Flaggies etc. Other sports clubs , Rotary, Lions etc I have even used the boy scouts to help flag multi day events and know it can be done.
The Nats needs to be aged group driven start thinking outside the box and one could have open bike age classes run and the end of the vintage classes.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:57 pm »
You pay service clubs like Rotary,lions,etc. I have help run 2 and 3 day meets before and this way works fine the SES is also great as you have trained first aid flaggies. Yes it costs $500 a day to pay for them, plus lunch and drinks but a meeting that can turn over $10,000 if well run it is with in it's budget.
You only need the core club members for all days and at best that will be 5.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2010, 01:17:10 am »
.... if an age group doesn't achieve the desired number of entries to constitute a class, the entries for that class are absorbed into the next lower (younger age group) division. As I said, your one,two or three rider scenario just doesn't exist and never has at championship level.

Thereby eliminating most of the point of age races, surely? Isn't everyone saying that its all about racing riders of your own age?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2010, 08:58:40 am »
Pointless races aren't pointless to the rider who is racing in them.
If there's one rider in the race, then its definitely a pointless race.
If there's two or three riders, and they're just riding around the track (ie not chasing each other), then it is a pointless race.

If you are a 18 or a 32 yr old and traveled 4000km for a few age races its a pointless journey..I think not.
This happens in era class's pre 65,not age races.
How about we put our efforts into arguing for the right race support ie pre 65.  ;D
my opinion only.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2010, 09:21:36 am »
The "World Masters" has more participants than the Olympics. Many ex Olympic & world champions are extending their sporting life through masters events.

Is this event to be held at Glen Helen later in the year ??
cheers
Best is in the West !!

hardhaacker

« Reply #155 on: May 25, 2010, 09:14:54 pm »
I think the pre 78 should be with the older bikes,when I rode at the oz nats 09 for the first time I rode in pre 75 and one evo and think  the pre 78 bikes and people who rode them fitted in more with the older bikes.
I was so impressed with the pre78 bikes and the PEOPLE WHO RODE THEM , that I now have 2 pre 78 bikes.
I like the evo but I think the older bikes and people are great and if they were to split pre 78 with the later it would be a real shame.
So if they split them I would ride only if pre 78 was with the older.

I think the age group racing is great, but because 09 nats was my first ,they ran age group and then all ages together in pre 75 so WHAT ARE THEY ALL GOING ON ABOUT . Do they run the same format at other ants.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #156 on: May 25, 2010, 10:06:38 pm »
Pre 78 bikes should stay with the pre 75 bikes, for example, KX 400, 250 75- 76 MODEL you cannot tell me that they are any better than a 74 model kx, only the shocker mounting point. engines are the same.

firko

« Reply #157 on: May 25, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »
WTF are you on about Dave? The '75 KX400 and '74 KX450 are totally different bikes.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2010, 08:04:31 am »
mark, l am not talking about the kx450. mark l raced a kx 250 76, then got the rear end modified to 74 spec`s, and raced the bike in pre75., the engine are the same, tanks are the same, wheel are the same. what l and trying to say is, pre 75 vintage needs pre78 bikes racing at our meetings, l will say it again, pre 75 meetings needs to have the pre78 bikes in the programs.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2010, 05:51:39 pm »
As the year starts to whined up to an end,and not many submissions have been submitted by oz vmx clubs-does anyone else want to vote on the above interesting poll.. ;D
Best is in the West !!

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2010, 10:29:50 pm »
I have the 2011 Bonanza Leaflet is out now. entry`s close in January 2011.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 03, 2010, 10:37:14 pm »
I have the 2011 Bonanza Leaflet is out now. entry`s close in January 2011.

where did you get that from ??
Best is in the West !!

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2010, 08:16:13 am »
Mine came in the mail.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 07, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »
Yep, those old pre '78 classes sure are dead and buried. Buggered if I know why we put up with 'em. :P

Cant say I agree with that Firko. If you had witnessed the show the WAVMX crew put on at Narrogin and how strong the numbers were, something like 200 pre75 bikes and 116 riders, any club running the nats would be happy to have the pre78 and earlier event.

Maybe if clubs could use their initiative to keep costs down for the riders, they would get more riders turning up.

Personally, Id try my best to ride both IF they were held on back to back weekends and in the same state as Alison suggested. Otherwise, if I had to pick one, Pre 78 would be my choice.

Cheers
Mark
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 07, 2010, 09:46:24 pm »
Yep, those old pre '78 classes sure are dead and buried. Buggered if I know why we put up with 'em. :P

Firko is more pre75 than pre75 Mark  ;D  ;D ,,he writes with sarcasm, which doesn't work to well on forums some days.
Agree on same state same week/fortnight would be awesome.  :P
cheers A
Best is in the West !!