Poll

What Nationals would you ride if they were split?

Pre 78 and earlier only.
48 (48.5%)
Evo and later only.
23 (23.2%)
Probably only the closest event that year
5 (5.1%)
Both. I just can't get enough.
16 (16.2%)
Neither. It's just too damn dangerous....
7 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Author Topic: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?  (Read 40472 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: What Nationals would you ride if they were split?
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2010, 04:42:07 pm »
I liked the National anthem and parade lap at the Canberra Nationals for the Dt last year.
I reckon that was th highlight, all the bikes got lined up on the track, flag went up, Anthem played.  then RACING ! ( it was just like in the states it had Atmosphere).

It was like it actually had a pulse.  

YOU need to spend the time putting on a bit of a specticle for the punters i say.   I cant say im that interested in watching a bunch of bikes back to back racing around in circles, half the time i got no clue even what event is riding.  So how would JOe public ?

iT need a bit of Pzzzaz injection.  Reckon Grasy and his guys are going to give it a nudge this year as well, promotion doenst stop at a bunch of flyers.  

I cant say id pay $2 to go into a gate to watch VMX or the NAts it just felt flat........    

why the Broadford SHow and shine / swap meet wasnt tried to be brough back a week or 2 and held at the same time is beyond me, if both committees had thought about it they would have BOTH doubled there numbers.........

ok ok i realise it just another thing to organise, but geese its losing its flavour.......... and diluting classes seemed to have done that too going by the foot traffic on and off the track at the last nats this year.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 04:46:07 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2010, 05:27:24 pm »
Stop using Broadford as an example. It was the worst Nationals as far as numbers for all the reasons discussed elsewhere. How about you use Conondale as your example. Where pre  75 age groups went well. But that would not suit your argument (which is, why age groups *).

OK, no worries. Then tell me how well age groups in capacity classes in the other eras would have gone at Conondale... Pre-75 was fine, and Evo would have been OK, but the rest would have been just as much of a joke as they would have been at Broadford.

And what's to say that that a Broadford style turn-out will never happen again? Or did I miss the bit where Queensland and Victoria actually called a cease-fire?

I really am happy to accept the age racing is a good thing because people want it - even though I reckon its a poor way to achieve the things it is supposed to achieve...

So, I'm now keen to see how the issue of under-supported classes is dealt with... The only obvious answer is to combine races...  :D x1000
The punters' reaction at Broadford showed that combining capacities within eras is not an option.
Which leaves the option of combining age groups! :D x infinity.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 13, 2010, 05:50:25 pm »
blah, blah, blah, blah yep your right Nathan,blah, blah,blah, yep ::)

sheeeeeeeesh, young blokes, age groups at Conondale would have been awesome, every class had full grids except some of the early stuff, but EVERY race was a title event so what are you saying. ::)

here's an idea for ya to get your head around!

age groups with no minium number to consitute a race

under 40, all in 125 250 and open scored seperate
under 50, all in 125, 250, open scored seperate
old buggars, to 60, 125,250,open scored seperate
really old buggars over 60, 125 ,250 ,open scored seperate

grand total of 4 extra class's unless you have grids biggar than 40, old guys(your mates) racing each other outside of the era's, wow absolutely rockect science

Cheers Trev

sorry freaky, you cant ride up under those rules unless you fit the era description and eligabilty for that class ;D
proof is required,
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 06:15:53 pm by worms »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:07 pm »
under 40, all in 125 250 and open scored seperate
under 50, all in 125, 250, open scored seperate

Getting closer! Although doesn't everyone hate the 'scored seperate' bit?!

What about the eras?
Does 'age groups for all eras' actually mean that, or will some eras miss out?
Four age races per era means 24 extra races across all eras (or twelve extra at the pre-90 Nats and twelve at the pre-78 Nats).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:57 pm »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, with the advent of transponders you can get all sorts of scores out f the results-or should be able to with a good programing guru.
And you could nominate which class/group/catagory you want to be scored with at nomination time(or after the last race if you were short of a trophy)

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2010, 08:16:00 pm »
Every day i click on here and i'm reading the same shit... Am i in a time warp?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2010, 08:34:51 pm »
No, you've just got to stop reading page #1 again and again...  ;D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »
As soon as you stop asking the same questions as page 1! :D

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »
It's fricken ground hog day.
I had a dog that chased its tail so I cut the tail off-just like this , some times I wish I could get off some threads.
Go to the one about Maicogirl-thats a shitter.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15:20 pm »
I love this... "Oh, hang on, I think he might have a point.... Shit! ... I know - let's ignore it and take swipes!".

Yes I've laboured on the point for too long, but I had been hoping that all of the noise would reveal something more profound than "I like it because I like it!"....

So, I've given up on that, and am now asking how we avoid lots of pointless races.
You could even call it progress!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:23 pm »
Pointless races aren't pointless to the rider who is racing in them.
Let the entries reflect what the riders wish to enter.
Why fix the wheel if it isn't broke..
last one ....How about we just see what next year brings in due time.  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 13, 2010, 09:38:32 pm »
Only if someone wants to put it on.
So far it's NZ 1 vote
              NT 1 vote &
              Norfolf Island  some interest.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2010, 01:54:52 am »
Pointless races aren't pointless to the rider who is racing in them.

If there's one rider in the race, then its definitely a pointless race.
If there's two or three riders, and they're just riding around the track (ie not chasing each other), then it is a pointless race.

Let the entries reflect what the riders wish to enter.

Absolutely - I'm sure they will.... :-\

« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2010, 08:40:26 am »

* Age groups work as seen in National events other than Broadford. The smallest group would probably be the youngest which is no big deal as it is set up for the older generation more so. Do older blokes like it ...yes. Why? ( as been said) To ride with guys their own age that also hopefully ride to go home safely to their homes/family/business etc. To not have to ride against a mad kid( whether true or not, it is a reason for said old boys). To get an extra ride on their fav bike. AND to really have a good chance of winning or placing against guys their own age that they probably rode with BACK IN THE DAY! Every body wants a trophy...really.

These three reasons don't count then?
Seems THIS THREAD has become pointless.

firko

« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00:11 am »

If there's one rider in the race, then its definitely a pointless race.
If there's two or three riders, and they're just riding around the track (ie not chasing each other), then it is a pointless race.
Sigh ::) And here I was thinking that this was all tucked away and settled. Silly me for underestimating your Bull Terrier like tenacity Nathan. Oh well, let's give it one last little go..........
You've quoted two scenarios that actually don't exist and if you'd taken the time to check you'd realise that at National level with your hypothetical one,two or three riders per race scenario just plain doesn't happen. Full Stop. Unless things have changed, if an age group doesn't achieve the desired number of entries to constitute a class, the entries for that class are absorbed into the next lower (younger age group) division. As I said, your one,two or three rider scenario just doesn't exist and never has at championship level.

I think most of the posters on this thread have shown ample reasons for the age group classes to exist but you still steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that perhaps, just perhaps age groups might just be a good thing. I fully respect your right to argue the point against age groups but for an argument to be successful you need to offer a valid and strong counterpoint and offer an alternative. We're still waiting for that to happen.

Nothing personal at all Nathan but this is getting tedious.