Author Topic: Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza  (Read 24681 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Honda Broadford Bike Bonanza
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:11 pm »
Also the guy with the smile on his sunburnt dial, leaning on the fence sums up a good weekend. ;D

Best is in the West !!

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »
The second bike did a bit off Moto x on sunday when went off the end of the track and across the paddock . It was good to see them in close contact and on the gas . awesome .
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
I have never been a fan of the track at Broadford, I could almost go as far to say I hated it.  I rode it on Sunday and I didn't want to get off it. Running in that direction combined with the nice loamy soil I had a ball, if you put a wheel wrong in a rut it didn't matter you could just form a new line as its all soft. And as for traction out of the corners, Woohoo.

I loved it, well done.

Rob.

Yeah, thats pretty much how I felt, I think pre 75's will struggle on a lot of tracks, but in my humble opinion Broadford was way better than Coff's.

My KDX that has never had a shock rebuild in it's life handled it okay, it never would have coped on the track of old.

So that was you Tex, here you go then...

No wonder you ran out of fuel, you were on the gas all day,

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2010, 08:17:41 pm »
Thanks GMC.

How did you know I ran out of petrol?

I only got off the bike twice - lunch, and when I ran out of fuel!

Tex

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2010, 08:34:49 pm »
There was a track for you nathan 's' over the other side of the hill... it was a shade of black.  :-*
Maico's, the only way to go.

mc 61

« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2010, 09:07:58 pm »
what a weekend, great weather,great people,great track. Hope the photo's load,Jimmy Ellis on Mcmuffins 360 and Hoony's 500.More to come.
http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy29/mark1961/HBBB/

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:56 pm »
There was a track for you nathan 's' over the other side of the hill... it was a shade of black.  :-*

Keep digging, you lot.

I'm one of the relatively few guys that didn't mind either Clarence or the Canberra super-cross track on a short travel bike.
I was one of the few to venture out on the Sunday at CD4.
I loved Sunday's HBBB vinduro track and honestly don't understand the people that complained about the ruts.
Even though I struggled with the big whooped downhill at Conondale, nobody heard a peep about it from me.
I'm not god's gift to MX, but I'm not a sook and I ride it as it comes.

But to talk it up as being 'all that and then some' when it was the most diabolically watered track I've ever ridden on, and when there are deep whoops in the landing area of downhill jumps, is just wide of the mark. In these conditions, the difference between being fast & competitive, and being thumped hard into the ground, is tiny.

Nobody has to agree with me, but it would be good if you could at least bother trying to understand the point I'm making.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »
You'll be right Nathan just don't ride above yourself.
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2010, 10:33:03 pm »
Broadford for me, is one of the best and my most favoured tracks so I was keen to see what a fair amount of work and reversing of the track would do. The first shock was the $100 to get the bike on the track for a Sunday sessions. Is what it is I guess and I could have turned around and gone home on principle, but I clenched my teeth and emptied the wallet, however I can do 2 VIPER race meetings for the same $’s.

I struggled with the super sharp bog holes, worst when they are on a down hill and more so on the entry to the corner. They weren’t braking bumps, just an inordinate amount of water that turned into mud. I thought the hairpin left turn up the hill after travelling into the far back corner of the track was downright ridiculous. If you were pushed off the track going wide you have an almost sheer drop of 2 meters. Reversed it was never an issue as you entered the corner on the opposite side of the track.

On another corner I was pushed wide by a slower rider, no problem I thought, I’ll just run around on the infield and pop back on the track further down. It was at this point that I found a water erosion point that was 300/500 mm deep. Somehow I got over it but had I dropped into it I would have been in a whole world of hurt.

And the two things that really boiled my blood was a small minority of riders that used the riding sessions as practice for next weekend’s event and cared not for some of the riders on the track. Whilst I can deal with them, some of the people using the track don’t have a level of “Race Craft” and were no doubt intimidated, possibly put in danger by their actions. And lastly the speed at which some of the dickheads rode through the car park.

On the other side of the coin, the track flowed well and the new surface is awesome, particularly at the top of the hill, the jumps are old bike (and old body ;)) friendly and you wont actually ride 3 full laps with the reversal of the track when racing.

I think the organisers will have it nailed if they can sort the few shitty bog hole corners up.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

monaro308

« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »
Also the guy with the smile on his sunburnt dial, leaning on the fence sums up a good weekend. ;D

Love that pic VMX....check out the spectators behind 224 and 592...GOLD  :D

I had a great time on sat and i didn't even ride!
The last time i was at Broadford was the '83 Mr Motocross final
Met motomaniac,and KB again and had a beer with him (thanks KB) and loved his collection of bikes,yzhilly and a few others on here....top people.The whole day just felt relaxed with some great looking bikes.

I was standing next to mcmuffin sorry (not sure of his real name :D) when he kicked over his Mugen 360 and snapped the kickstart lever clean off.

I have a lot of bike pics in the pits but it would take me ages to shrink the size of each (anyone know a quick way of u/l alot of pics in one hit?)
The complex looked great and we should all be happy that we still have a track to ride on and people to help run them.
The way the money hungry developers and goverment are going...WE ARE LUCKY with broadford.

firko

« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2010, 12:37:18 pm »
Wow, what a great weekend. I travelled south with Jonesy for the HBBB not really knowing what to expect. We'd previously decided to concentrate on the dirt track section of the event to save us too many logisitical problems running from venue to venue. The track was well prepped and a ball to ride. The roll up of bikes was a tad less than I'd presumed but the variety was great. Because I was sharing the trailer with Alan I only took one bike, My 'trusty' old 350 Maico, while he took his Hagon Jawa and Weslake/BSA Metisse. We met up with fellow Kevlar Jake and his lovely wife Cathy who now live near Echuca in Victoria and ace photographer Bill Forsyth and stayed at the Broadford Motel.

It didn't take long for me to realise that I'd made the wrong decision on what bike to bring after starting the Maico on Saturday to discover a vibrating, farting and coughing mess. I immediately realised that there was something amiss and shut her down. After a bit of thought I now figure that the Yamaha big end has finally shit itself after 18 years of proud service. Luckily I've got all of the parts to fix her up sitting waiting in the cupboard so it's no big deal other than I wish I'd bought my B&S TM400 instead. I filled the void by doing some laps on Jakes YZ125E and Jonesys 500 Beeza Metisse and had a ball. Unfortunately another problem raised its ugly head in that the siezed right ankle makes it almost impossible to put my new boots on without another person manipulating the boot and someone wiping the tears from my eyes because of the pain involved and that the knee brace wasn't enough protection for my rooted left knee. I found it almost impossible to put my foot down while riding or to stand on the pegs. The ankle problem also made it hard to change gear on the right foot change Beeza. Notwithstanding my goober body pain......I had a hoot. It was nice to be back in the saddle. Hopefullty I'll have had my operations before CD7 .
Jonesy rode his usual smooth and rocket fast style but didn't like the MX track very much on his Metisse. I can't comment because I didn't ride it but from a spectator point of view, it sure looked OK. The organisation was superb, the vibe was unreal and the venue looked a treat. Full marks to Drakie who was running ragged but was by Sunday arvo relaxed enough to stat enjoying himself. It was great catching up with Hoony, YZhilly, Paul, Tim, GMC,Fatboy Shane and the many more forum guys who dropped into our pit for a yarn and to say g'day. My lack of walking ability prevented me doing too much cruuising of the MX pits but the guys I did talk to were great.
We'll be back.

firko

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2010, 12:57:01 pm »
Here are some random shots taken over the weekend. I apologise for some of the shots being dark but my 'good' camera was chucking a wobbly.

Jonesy aboard his Hago Jawa doing what he does best.

A couple of legends. Aldo and the great Gary Jones. Gary was great, a really nice bloke who went out of his way to be friendly and have a yarn with everyone. He can still ride too!

MA president David White cruised the complex on either the electric bike or this relic Beeza that had just been picke up from Tamworth NSW for the MA Museum. Does anyone here know it's history, If so, give MA a call.

Slovakian expat Peter and his lady Evie with the CZ his mate Viktor rode at the Conondale Nats. Really nice people.

Rare Dick Mann framed xl Honda.

firko

« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »
More shots from HBBB

This trick Trackmaster 750 Yamaha was dragged out of the shed after sitting for 20 years. The owner has indicated he'll have it back in action for next year.

This XS650 tracker was making its debut. It has a raked and lightened stock frame and sounded magnificent. If the appearance of the owners Maicos are any indication, it'll be pretty as a picture as well when finished.

A lovely AJS Stormer.

I have no idea of this Royal Enfields history or anything about it. It's an ugly old thing but features some very cool period mods. It's a survivor from the olden' days. Anyone know anything about it?

My old Maico finally bundied off after 20 years of almost trouble free service to the community. She'll be back in time for the DT Nats with a new heart!

firko

« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »
even more HBBB shots.

This Ariel powered Beeza is to be a part of the MA museum. Anybody know its history?

I fell in love with this little Monty. A jewell.

Roy Easts legendary Matchless Metisse. It's a tad over restored in my mind, way prettier than when Roy raced it but it's still great to see one of the most famous Metisses ever.

A very rare Ken Heanes framed B44 enduro bike. It's the only one I've ever seen.

DOT 250

Jonesy shows how to grip the bars on the blue Metisse

firko

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »
and one more batch of HBBB dt action

A sweet little NSU powered BSA Bantam pre 65 250 class lightweight. It's a very trick little scooter.

A nicely restored 'grey ghost' Monty Cappra

another shot of Alan Jones having a 'wee skid' at Broadford

Sidecar action with Ken Walkers amazing blown Vincent powered outfit. You just had to hear it.

Another VFincent, this one with McGee fuel injection

Kawasaki 1000 outfit

Gorgeous 750 Laverda triple  sidecar nipped up later in the day.[/

Lovely old Dirt Track Douglas had to be the oldest running bike at the HBBB