Author Topic: RE:pe roller  (Read 3606 times)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
RE:pe roller
« on: March 12, 2010, 10:41:39 pm »
bad news from the mechanic today pe will cost me to much to fix so ill sell it as a roller.its a 1984 pe175 frame is good and straight no cracks swingarm good no cracks or gouges all swingarm linkages good rear shock was good dosent leak oil plastics fair except side covers very faded tank good some small gouges on top but dosent leak a drop still has compliance plate cdi and coil all good exhaust was good had to cut it near frame down tube to get it off bike but expansion chamber is still in one piece and good no dentsrear wheel very good with bearings replaced about 6 months ago rear brake shoes new and rear sprocket about 3 hours ride time same with chain and front sprocket.perfect air box not melted or split air filters 6 months old.front end is very good no movement in head stem bearings renthal bars pretty scratched but not bent triple clamps very good just have some grey paint on top one and yellow paint on bottom one but will polish up good forks have no rust or pitting whatsoever seals and oil replaced 6 months ago and dont leak a drop front wheel has very small crack but vary useable front and rear tubes replaced 6 months ago front tyre about 60% rear about 40%.motor is still rebuildable all there but in pieces cases have been split not damaged gearbox very good seat recovered in blue vinyl about 3 months ago sponge and base all good headlight there no shell and painted flat black.all in all would make a very good base for engine transplant or just a good start as a project ive spent about $800 dollars on parts and labour in the last 6 months and with the mechanic not having bearing press and his labour costs i just dont have the money to rebuild the motor.id like to sell it as one lot and like to see it live again there is still plenty of good parts on the bike and in the motor and being the last of the pe range it is pretty rare i do have a price in mind but am open to offers at the moment may sell in parts if i have to as i need the cash to buy another bike and need it gone for room for another bike as it is to good to just throw out the back yard.i will get some good photos of everything on sunday and post them on here. i can be contacted on 0415 878 969 and can deliver to transport depo or deliver it around brisbane goldcoast or sunshine coast at no extra cost.very sad to have to sell it as it has been a great bike and rides butifully.cheers all and thanx gary

mainline

Re: RE:pe roller
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »
g'day Gary, have you thought about trying a different mechanic? There's a couple around that might be able to help out including one I know of who drops in here a fair bit.

Just a thought, cause you'll probably take a bath trying selling a roller with a broken engine. PE's just don't seem to be worth as much unfortunately.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 03:57:30 pm »
That was my thoughts too.
It shouldn't cost $1700 to fit a rod kit & reassemble??
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

DR

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 05:06:17 pm »
Gary, what exactly did your mechanic say was wrong with the engine? If it's only the big end and you're a local brisbanite  how 'bout this.....

Drop the motor off to me. You pay for the bearing/rod/pin or whatever else is needed (sourced as cheaply as possible). We get Craig Lott do the crank rebuild at Northside Motorcycle Centre, Brendale (I think it's about $75 if the parts are supplied) then I'll reassemble it for free. 

Seems a shame to throw away the $800 that you've already invested when for maybe a couple of hundred and a few hours work we could have it sorted :-\

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:14:24 pm »
very generous offer there Doc.

gotta love the help this forum gives.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

DR

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:36:29 pm »
eh Hoony, I maybe a pain to some and come out with some totally dislogical statements at times but I ain't all bad :D I'm definately no mechanic but the aircooled Suzuki motors are in my blood along with lead and numerous other contaminants that probably shouldn't be there either ::)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »
thanx for the offers everybody it aparently needs another crank someone has bodgied one of the ends crank bearings little and big end bearings another barrel crank case seals seals were clutch arm goes through side cover same were kick start lever goes into case carby rubber boots for carby and there was a few other things that i cant remember off the top of my slowly balding head ;D.im just on my way out to look at another bike a 90 model yz 250 but i still could keep it with your very kind offers to help out someone yous dont even know.as it was a very good bike to ride and dont want to see it go in pieces.THANKYOU FOR YOUR VERY KIND OFFERS AND WITH OFFERS LIKE THIS IT MIGHT STAY AND BECOME A LITTLE PROJECT ILL SEND YOU A PM LATER DOC TO DISCUSS SOME STUFF.THANX AGAIN BE BACK IN ABOUT 2 HOURS

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 07:58:34 pm »
................. I'm definately no mechanic but the aircooled Suzuki motors are in my blood along with lead and numerous other contaminants that probably shouldn't be there either ::)

after seeing pics of your work on this forum for many years now i am sure you can put Zook motors together very easily.

i hope to meet you ( a fellow 63' model) at CD7 Doc, i assume you will be there again.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

DR

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 11:15:42 pm »
Thanks Hoony, CD7 is a definate so I'll cya there ;)

oldskool, would like to see a pic of the crank damage as to whether it may be salvagable but the bearings and seals are relatively cheap as most can be obtained through Bearing Service Centre. The crank assy is the same from 1980 T model onwards however if it is the left ignition side that's damaged than this crank half is the same for all models excepting the '78 PE175C. Something to think about ;)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:40 pm »
ROLLER WITHDRAWN FROM SALE.three words for the yz i just looked at HEAP OF SHITE i just wish people could be honest in there adverts im going to keep the pe for now and look for another motor with my bits and another motor im sure it will live again ;D.im not in any hurry to fix it as ill get something else to ride and slowly do up the pe get the frame painted and plastics sorted while the motor is out.thanx again for your kind offers.cheers gary

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 11:37:53 pm »
dont know what damage is done to crank myself as i havent seen it yet ill probably pick it up on wednesday ill get some pics post them up and go from there i have seen the barrel it has a crack on one of the bridges between the ports.still got two other bikes to look at tomorrow another 90 yz 250 one owner it belongs to a bloke i work with and a 01 kx 250 bit new for me but it has a full top and bottom end rebuild with receipts just has bent bars $1100 might buy it just to resell on fleabay and double my money :o thanx doc cheers gary

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:00:06 am »
i might be able to get a barrel and crank
fairly cheap i think there is some where i used to work
will check it out if doc cant help with it i could
cheers rusty ;D

doc sre pe barrels all the same for 175 if not how do you
tell diff ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 12:27:38 am »
78/79 have different std spacing/pattern to 80-84. 80-84 are all the same part number, well they all superceed to the same anyway.
On the 80 to 84 you will see the head studs have raised steps above the gasket surface which locate in little recess in the head. The 78/79 doesnt have these steps on the studs above the gasket surface and doesn thave recesses in th head around the stud holes.78/79 has a round ring type headgasket but the 80-84 has a gasket that fits over all the studs. From noting just those things you should easily be able to tell what its off.

PE's are now sought after collector items and your 84 is especially fairly rare here in Australia. There isnt that many of those around anymore and many get caniballized into RM175's.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 12:43:54 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

monaro308

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 01:24:24 am »

PE's are now sought after collector items and your 84 is especially fairly rare here in Australia. There isnt that many of those around anymore and many get caniballized into RM175's.

GUILTY ;D ;D
My PE will go back together oneday including the engine for the RM175 project.
When another 175 engine becomes available....i'll  slot that in.

Good to see that you are keeping the PE oldskool after the money you spent.
Kudo's to DOC for offering to help out and any other VMXER out there.
I'd do the same if you were in Vic.
Leith,was it the 84 PE175 engine that was mellowed out compared to the previous years due the the gear ratio changes in the 84????

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 03:15:12 am »
yes i think so. It was either 83 or 84 model had had gear box ratios changed.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022