Author Topic: $3500 top end overhaul  (Read 41635 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: $3500 top end overhaul
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2010, 06:49:34 pm »
Official figures released by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) show that 23,211 motorcycles, scooters and all-terrain vehicles were sold in the first quarter of this year – a decrease of 12.2 per cent (3,215 units) over the same period in 2009.

“This has been a slow start to the 2010 sales year with a uniform decline across all categories,” FCAI Chief Executive Andrew McKellar said.

“We have yet to see any turnaround in the marketplace since sales softened some 18 months ago,” he said.

“Despite the overall softness of the market there have been some brands, particularly some premium ones, that have shown improved performance,” Mr McKellar said.

“It’s hoped the next quarter will provide some renewed growth,” he added.

* Road bikes were the most popular segment in the marketplace with 9,692 sales – down 10.6 per cent
    * There were 7,419 Off-Road motorcycles sold – down 14.5 per cent
    * There were 3,363 ATV sales in the first three months of 2010 – down 11.7 per cent
    * and Scooter sales fell 11.7 per cent to record 2,737 units

Yamaha claimed the top position with 4,604 sales, followed by Honda with 4,021 and then Suzuki with 3,074 sales.
Probably all due to the VMX revival.  ;D
Best is in the West !!

All Things 414

« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:12 pm »
....and I started riding one no doubt......

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2010, 02:52:51 pm »
 Yeah no worries 247,i like to have a soothing tonic from time to time also ,;D as you'd know the license is the easy part, it all adds up at the end of the year and big maintenace bill's would just topple some people out of the sport,I'am lucky my young bloke learnt to ride on natural terrain,so when he started riding (modern)clubdays on the local track he didn't like the supercross layout(etc) and the $100 day out ,only getting 12-15 laps seat time .He's since swung to vintage/evo(good stuff) and we can get a couple of mate's and cut lap's on our home track's till were all buggered, Like i said iam lucky most people don't have any choice but to travel and so  let's hope the big wig's don't price them out of it altogether with formula 1 dirtbikes, that the average punter cant touch ;)

ok no wine today..and yep agree with you today Huskibul  ;D our bank card is getting screwed each time boy child enters an event...and running a 2 stroke 05 yammie.
And that's with only the cost's of
chain
sprocket
 etc along with the alfoil pipe-changed it for a new one-a enduro version .  :(
Hopefully it will survive a while longer than the last pipe  >:(
Reports are in of pure jealousy- that so and so has a much faster 2011 than me  :-\  :-\ .Its all about pressure.
Ok had my bitch for the day  :)
I take it all back-- after todays win 1200km from home..2nd and $250  prize money  :P  ;D
cheers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:41:07 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
    Hey alison sorry to hear of your woes! sounds like your young bloke,s going well though which make's up for the sacrifices :) i was in the local yammie shop the other day getting a tube for my little daughters peewee,and was checking out the 2011' model YZ-F's 450 (very nice!) and tony the salesman mentioned there as close as dammit to a factory bike ! and i thought yeah that'd be just fine if you were a factory sponsored rider with unlimited parts :D sure would like one in the shed though ,iv'e ridden a few different 06-'07' 450's and there very user freindly!(until rebuild time that is!) cheers
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:11:20 am by Huskibul »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:37 am »
…the salesman mentioned there as close as dammit to a factory bike!

They have been saying that since Moses was a boy!!  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

DR

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2010, 12:30:48 pm »
 Silly salesman, what he should be saying is there is no such thing as a factory bike anymore only factory supported bikes hence you are buying the gun shit less a few doohickys and doodads which he could also supply if your wallet agree's ;)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 12:32:26 pm by Doc »

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2010, 12:39:02 pm »
   Yeah mostly anodised bling -bling it's amazing how much faster you can go with it ! ::)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2010, 12:46:23 pm »
…there is no such thing as a factory bike anymore

Just because they don't race full works bikes in the US anymore, don't believe they don't exist.

The GPs and Japanese championships do have one off factory bikes. No they don't look that radical [as apposed to the old days] as it is all about evolution not revolution, but they are true one offs…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2010, 04:09:36 pm »
…there is no such thing as a factory bike anymore

Just because they don't race full works bikes in the US anymore, don't believe they don't exist.

The GPs and Japanese championships do have one off factory bikes. No they don't look that radical [as apposed to the old days] as it is all about evolution not revolution, but they are true one offs…
So true, not sure how many years they ran EFI bikes in Japan before they released them to the general public which wouldn't be legal in the US

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2010, 12:00:01 am »
 Yeah no worries 247,i like to have a soothing tonic from time to time also ,;D as you'd know the license is the easy part, it all adds up at the end of the year and big maintenace bill's would just topple some people out of the sport,I'am lucky my young bloke learnt to ride on natural terrain,so when he started riding (modern)clubdays on the local track he didn't like the supercross layout(etc) and the $100 day out ,only getting 12-15 laps seat time .He's since swung to vintage/evo(good stuff) and we can get a couple of mate's and cut lap's on our home track's till were all buggered, Like i said iam lucky most people don't have any choice but to travel and so  let's hope the big wig's don't price them out of it altogether with formula 1 dirtbikes, that the average punter cant touch ;)

ok no wine today..and yep agree with you today Huskibul  ;D our bank card is getting screwed each time boy child enters an event...and running a 2 stroke 05 yammie.
And that's with only the cost's of
chain
sprocket
 etc along with the alfoil pipe-changed it for a new one-a enduro version .  :(
Hopefully it will survive a while longer than the last pipe  >:(
Reports are in of pure jealousy- that so and so has a much faster 2011 than me  :-\  :-\ .Its all about pressure.
Ok had my bitch for the day  :)
I take it all back-- after todays win 1200km from home..2nd and $250  prize money  :P  ;D
cheers

It died again today-second moto-no compression...running too rich,,basic sleve maybe a re-sleve needed-new head--firing too hot..have a look tomorrow   :-\  Racing stopped due to rain anyway  :P
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2010, 10:11:42 pm »
Well thats its another year of MX,had our last one today  :P
YZ2fitty took all the holeshots and brought home 2nd place in Open for the first year of senior raceing..
Bike ran like a dream but with every kid comes a bigger bike and the KTM350 has topped the list.Sell all to by the dream. 8)
Next year marks another era with boy child getting his car license.
So with a few trips planned east for vmx and perhaps less mx travelling, we will see less of the good and bad attitudes that mark modern mx.
Long live VMX and the 2 stroke  ;D  8)

http://www.motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/2011-KTM-350SXF-MOTOCROSS-TEST-THE-MOST-ANTICPATED-7320.aspx
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 12:09:16 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2011, 06:23:55 pm »
Toofasttim has just reminded me of the moden 2 stroke article I read yesterday ,so thought I'd throw it up for a good read from Darren Smart !!

Best is in the West !!

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 12, 2011, 07:49:47 pm »
A few years ago I decided to buy a modern bike. I put the question to the forum - 125 2-stroke or 250F. The consensus was the 125. I bought a second hand '05 125 with about 5 hours on it which came with a set of V-Force reeds and a Pro-Circuit pipe and muffler. Now I don't get to ride much, but since then, about 3 years ago, I've put about 30 hours on it. In that time, I've thrown a fresh ring into it and that's it. Also a set of tyres and a chain. This week, I've replaced the piston and rings plus small end and pin. I found a complete kit on eBay - the lot plus all gaskets for $150 to my door. The old piston and ring looked fine and measured up within limits.

I've raced some motocross, grasstrack, done some trailriding and a bunch of play-riding, had a ball on the little zinger, and it's cost me bugger all.

The bike still looks like new and goes like I'd never have believed. I'm happy with my choice.

« Reply #133 on: February 12, 2011, 08:42:09 pm »
I put the question to the forum - 125 2-stroke or 250F. The consensus was the 125.

I'm happy with my choice.
Ahem! OUR choice!  ;D

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 12, 2011, 09:27:10 pm »
The mighty 2 stroke can be an expensive repair, just not as "expensive" as a 250F
I'm 110 kg 6'2 and love my little 125, till a couple of weeks ago when a power valve broke and dropped into the cylinder.
If anyone has bought a powervalve for a 2 stroke you'd be aware that they are made of unobtainium. $287 plus nails per valve. Add a piston, gaskets & cyl repair and you aint got much change fron a gorilla.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn