Author Topic: Classic Dirt Track Images.  (Read 724109 times)

Curly3

Re: Classic Dirt Track Images.
« Reply #450 on: May 24, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »
Welcome aboard Col, love all the shots & clippings.
I'm pretty sire the #5 at Amaroo is Lenny Searle, TH is heading back onto the track in his baby shit brown leathers in one of them.
Are some these from the CD you told me about?
Good to see brother Carlos Upright.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 05:48:20 pm by SlideRulz »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 24, 2011, 03:21:55 pm »
col
how did you go at nepean on the weekend i have a shot of your sons hagon yamaha from the prev owner at the jack hogg

jim

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 24, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
 What format film were the transfers from?16mm?
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 24, 2011, 05:54:15 pm »
Mark, Slider29, posted a couple of shots of Gary OBrien in 1975 at Griffith, here's a shot of Gary nearly 20 years later at the inaugural Aussie Classic Dirt Track Championships held at West Wyalong in 1994.

Foss

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 24, 2011, 07:29:25 pm »
Your uncle? Peter Laws was a great rider and often wondered what happened to him, he seemed to finish his riding a little early. Nice Hagon Yam (Peters Yz250a engined Hagon wasn't the first, I think mine was built a little earlier, but I could be wrong)
Great times Peter Lee 52

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: May 24, 2011, 07:35:36 pm »
Great stuff 412! Welcome to the forum. I rode against PL. a few times and only saw the backend of him. Great rider!
 Fab. job on the 250 hagon, I'll have two thanks. Slides , .. a BIG thankyou for getting this thread going. It's great to be able to share these photos around, and meet old friends again after 30 odd years and have a yarn.
Top shot of G O'B at West Wyalong foss.

Offline hagon412

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:13 pm »
pancho;
super 8 film not sure on the mm. I am currently trying to put together a short film with the footage.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 24, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »
Here's a rider mentioned in one of the articles that Hagon 412 posted , Cowra's Tim Oliver at Cowra

Talking to Barry Collyer today and he tells me Tim is in far north QLD, running his own tourist business, one thing I remember about Tim was, at a Short Circuit Demo at the Showground Speedway a few of us rode at, Tim turned up with a Jawa with a twin carb setup, Slides, can you throw any light on that ??
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #458 on: May 24, 2011, 08:11:20 pm »
Firstly,250hagon412, I hope I got the christian name right.
That Hagon looks bloody good, nearly too good to ride, but I hope you do.
Mark, the first thing I noticed when I started to get back into bikes was how Short Circuit and more to the point, the Slider era had withered out of sight.
I can't ride one anymore but I luv the bloody things.
The Classic Titles next month are right near the Brisbane airport Mark. if you can get there I'll pick you up???
Pete52, are you still making your way north? I'm jealous.
What year do you think that was Al, I remember they had several "Gymkhana's" at the Royal but I was only a pup.

Curly3

« Reply #459 on: May 24, 2011, 08:18:56 pm »
Speaking of Cowra, my memorry of both Cowra & Orange is that one or the other were held on the Easter Sunday or Monday.
I remember one year the infield was overgrown and Billy Mack came back in after practice with his left knuckles full of thistles, he rarely wore gloves.
I sent him a photo recently of him & dad in the pits at Bathurst and his reply was, and I quote.
That road racing must've been serious stuff, I had gloves on.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 24, 2011, 08:25:59 pm »
Slides,
I dunno what year it was perzackly, but it would have been the mid ' 70s sometime, there were two that I remember, one I rode at and one that TD rode at, in that one they started the Dirt Trackers off in two rows of about six each, I remember Pummo was there, everyone was pumped to the max and you should have seen the first corner, bits of fibreglass every where, TD had tyre marks up his rear guard , he dropped it on pit turn, last  lap, trying to round up Tim.
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: May 24, 2011, 08:29:22 pm »
My brother had my Dad's super 8 film put onto dvd . Cost a few hundred but it was worth every cent.  We have  about 1 1/2 hours of shortcircuit from the mid '60's to 1975   Mark

Curly3

« Reply #462 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:13 pm »
Does anyone remember the Grasstrack demo they did at Oran Park, body's flying all over the place.
Reg Ando broke his collarbone at that one.
It was the same day as one of the MX events they held on the infield of the Road track.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 30, 2011, 05:51:27 pm »
I've been trying to track down a photo of this bike for a while , finally found it and as far as I know it's the only photo of it  in existence.
Story is, TD had clagged a motor in his Hagon Bully and we scouted around and found this motor in an old Short Circuit sidecar.
It's a semi unit 500 twin BSA, gearbox bolted to the crankcases, and it fitted in the Hagon quite easily, bloody thing was on methanol etc. etc. and went like a scalded cat.

The photo was taken when I was test riding it before a teams race event at Nepean
Foss

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 30, 2011, 07:41:53 pm »
Check this catalogue out Foss! This is pre weslake '72 - '74 Ill post a couple of pages from the later one soon