Author Topic: Gunner Gasser style to YZ250H adaption  (Read 10513 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Gunner Gasser style to YZ250H adaption
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:42 pm »
     I normally use Swedish Gunnar Gassers on all of my bikes and have never had a problem with them. I recently tried one of the Taiwanese copies , as I had a quick look and couldn't see any noticeable differences. But the first time I used the imitation throttle, it let me down by jamming in the off position and the bike stalled. I had landed off a jump and the part of the throttle tube that holds the cable nipple,  pushed past the stopper (which is built into the top cover) and jammed. It took a bit of effort to get it free again.  It was a good painless lesson and I will never use one of the Taiwanese throttles again.
     I probably put the Gunnar Gasser on Tony's YZ465H, as I had that bike an owner or two before him . I would have used a Husky cable, as they came out with a Mikuni carb and Gunnar Gasser as O.E.M. I know that Les at VMX Unlimited sells the Swedish throttles for only a few bucks more than the imitations and he also sells an aftermarket cable which suits the Gunnar Gasser to Mikuni or Bing carb (and I think that this cable is a bit longer than the standard Husky one ).

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:39:51 pm by Husky500evo »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2011, 04:25:16 pm »
Thats what I was hoping someone could come up with, I have a new needle jet to fit before the weekend so I'll be able to measure how much inner cable is needed at the carb end then ask Les to check the cable fitted to a genuine throttle before I order the parts

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:35 pm »
Not sure if its been mentioned but www.husqvarna-parts.com has the Gunner gasser if anyone needs one.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 05:12:15 pm »
     I probably put the Gunnar Gasser on Tony's YZ465H, as I had that bike an owner or two before him . I would have used a Husky cable, as they came out with a Mikuni carb and Gunnar Gasser as O.E.M. I know that Les at VMX Unlimited sells the Swedish throttles for only a few bucks more than the imitations and he also sells an aftermarket cable which suits the Gunnar Gasser to Mikuni or Bing carb (and I think that this cable is a bit longer than the standard Husky one ).

You are right Mark.  It would have been you.  I should have twigged to that  ::)

Want to tell the story about what happens when you fit the wrong cable  :o :o ;D ;D

Come on - you know you want to  ;D ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2011, 04:21:20 pm »
May have to order 1 of these when I get a new front plate

http://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=18791&cat=573&page=1

Venhill list this, I've used their cables before so I may order a couple tonight

http://www.venhill.co.uk/Motorcycle_Hoses_and_Cables/YAMAHA/125/YZ/YZ_125_1977_(D)/Y01-4-007-7_YAMAHA_THROTTLE_CABLE.html
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 05:13:17 am by tony27 »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2011, 05:26:21 pm »
Emailed Les the part number & he says there are some coming in his next order fron Venhill due in the next few weeks :)

mx250

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »
     I normally use Swedish Gunnar Gassers on all of my bikes and have never had a problem with them. I recently tried one of the Taiwanese copies , as I had a quick look and couldn't see any noticeable differences. But the first time I used the imitation throttle, it let me down by jamming in the off position and the bike stalled. I had landed off a jump and the part of the throttle tube that holds the cable nipple,  pushed past the stopper (which is built into the top cover) and jammed. It took a bit of effort to get it free again.  It was a good painless lesson and I will never use one of the Taiwanese throttles again.

Firko has been giving warning of the Taiwanese copies jamming OPEN for years ;) :-[.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:04 pm »
These are the cables to ask Les for that fit to the gunnar gasser throttle

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2012, 12:22:40 am »
I had the same issues as Mark.
The warning post is on here somewhere. The other is http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/314488-Gunnar-Gasser-cheap-copy-warning.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 09:44:09 am »
Do not, under any circumstances use a Chinese made Emgo brand Gunnar Gasser copy throttle on your bike. It will fail and you will most probably be hurt. I've campaigned elsewhere on this forum for these nasty pieces of shit to be avoided at all costs.....even banned if possible.

I recently got sucked in by an eBay merchant called Niche Cycle supply, buying what I thought was a Magura 314 throttle. What I got was an Emgo brand knock off.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/170754766842?item=170754766842&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr
I complained to the seller and reported the dodgy listing to eBay but as is usually the case, neither seller or eBay give a shit Niche is still selling them with the same misleading listing so eBay's complaint department is a toothless tiger. If the Emgo Magura copy is as bad as the Gunnar Gasser copy I predict even more heartache down the line.

The Venhill cables sold by Les at VMX Unlimited are The Best.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 05:10:26 pm »
Magura should go after them for false advertising. Pretty sleazy if you ask me.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 10:46:08 pm »
The ebay seller that I bought my copy one from was a great deal more honest. He instantly withdrew all remaining ads for the copy Gasser. To date I don't think he has relisted them. This seller was an ex-speedway rider who many years ago had a jammed throttle causing him a big off (not a chinky copy though).

I don't think the original manufacturers will have a hope of persuing a claim if the goods are made in China as they don't give a toss about copyright ! Or anybodies safety either.
Thumpers Rule !