Author Topic: Marketing Research  (Read 11062 times)

YSS

Marketing Research
« on: August 01, 2007, 09:16:24 am »
Dear Members , in order to stay on track with your  suspension needs and requirements , we are interested to know where VMX is heading.
A)is there a need to duplicate the OEM look ?
B)is adjustability a plus ?
C)is price an issue?
D) should the settings be more adapted for modern tracks?
E) should the shocks have a classic look , or do people prefere wild anodized colours to stand out?
Please have your say
Regards Walter YSS R+D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Marketing Research
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:46 am »
A) No, but sometimes it would be a bonus.

B) Not to me (assuming they're set up right in the first place, of course).

C) Yes.

D) Don't know.

E) Generally I'd prefer the classic look, but I'd imagine that there'd be a segment of the market that would go for the flashy look.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 11:00:42 am »
Hey Walter,
A) To 'restorers' this might be important, but to 'racers' probably not.No use in having a trick bit if nobody knows.
B)  YES YES YES
C) ALWAYS
D) With adjustabilty this problem is overcome somewhat
E) Nice for a 'Gold' option on spring seats and aluminium clear bodies.

Linear rate springs please ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:13 am »
rule number 1 - fully rebuildable
rule number 2 - realistically priced ( i still cant fathom the price differance between car and bike0 you guys must be having a lend of us oil filled shocks are nearly the same as they have always been so cost of production tooling and R and D has been well and trully paid out.  Fix the price at $150 for a decent adjustable 13 incher and youll double you market placement over night.

Colour and style not important make the bodies black and people can paint the springs if they feel the need for sexy.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

YSS

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 11:57:01 am »
Well freakshow , you can have 150 Dollar OEM shocks , in any colour , springrate ,lenght  you like , but we need a big order. Making 1 pair or making or making 1000 per order is a big cost difference .
( there is no packaging , no spanners , no instruction manual , no warranty registration, no set up time , no hard anodizing, no chrom silicon springs, only freight and invoicing by pallet)
I hope that explains the cost difference. regards Walter

YSS

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 12:11:14 pm »
Hey Walter,
A) To 'restorers' this might be important, but to 'racers' probably not.No use in having a trick bit if nobody knows.
B)  YES YES YES
C) ALWAYS
D) With adjustabilty this problem is overcome somewhat
E) Nice for a 'Gold' option on spring seats and aluminium clear bodies.

Linear rate springs please ;D
Re D , with 100mm stroke it is not easy to cater for grasstrack and SX use, thats why I am asking where VMX is heading , because when we have to cater for a fully rutted out track by moderns a nice spring and damping setup is not adequate and the shocks would get hammered to pieces.
E, Gold option we already use for the asian and scooter market , but I do not recommend it because the gold colouring is not as hard as natural hard anodizing.
The other problem then would be stock , one bloke wants black , another green and so on.
Thank you for your input

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:54:32 pm »
A. Not really OEM copies but a classic look.
B. Yes.
C. Can be.
D. yes.
E. Classic look.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 05:25:37 pm »
Well freakshow , you can have 150 Dollar OEM shocks , in any colour , springrate ,lenght  you like , but we need a big order. Making 1 pair or making or making 1000 per order is a big cost difference .
( there is no packaging , no spanners , no instruction manual , no warranty registration, no set up time , no hard anodizing, no chrom silicon springs, only freight and invoicing by pallet)
I hope that explains the cost difference. regards Walter
HEy you wanted feedback , so i gave it.

until you can hit that magic number like the rest of the guys i know ill continue to rebuilt old shocks and buy ex demo units out the states.  Oil Shockers are shockers down this end of the market, unless your racing for sheep stations and you and i know the mark up the industry puts on your shocks, its up to you to figure out if you want volume or profit.

Dont shoot the messenger, IF you dont like opinions dont ask for marketing help. if i wanted name brand nike runners i would pay the extra, reality is on the inside there essentially all the same whether they come from the states, china or thailand, price should still be under $150 a pair anything else is Profittering IMHO
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

YSS

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 06:05:03 pm »
Sorry Freaky , it was not meant like that . I only tried to explain why car or any OEM shock is cheaper than something model specifc . Thank you for your help anyway :-[  regards Walter

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:55:00 pm »
no offence taken its a forum, everyone here  agrees to disagree just ask nathan.  Beside the best ideas and markets are created from all the differant angles
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 11:58:08 pm »
A-no
B-yes
C-yes
D-pre 78 grasstrack tuned, post78 more tuned for modern tracks (my ideal setup )
E-probably a classic look.

I checked out Walters shockie session at Classic Dirt 4 and it was good to find out just how the shocks were made and how the various components were selected and used to produce a top quality product
for a reasonable price.
It must be put into perspective,the relatively small numbers of VMX shocks versus the huge numbers of
other types.
we should be thankful that someone with an interest in VMX is producing something we need.
It is quite often easier to put the effort into a more cost effective product.

YSS

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 08:52:40 am »
Thanks everyone so far . But why do only novices give feed back ? Are there no pros out there in VMX ?
 :-\. Just joking .regards Walter

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:07:29 am »
Were all novices with the new forum,untill I get to 'self appointed legend' status

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 11:06:45 pm »
Walter give a pair of shocks to Graeme VMXMAN he runs this wonderful site he can run them on his project SUZUKI TM125 then he will tell everyone how good they are. Then you will sell more and the Legend of the YSS shocks will be born.I think you have a good product I saw them at CD4 I will be buying a pair when the wife stops checking the bank account.
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 11:24:28 pm »
KB the Koni adjustment is shit.I've seen inside Koni's and YSS and is like comparing a 07 commodore to and HQ kingswood.They both will cart you down the shops and back but there is a world of difference.Don't even think twice jimson, best money you will ever spend.