Author Topic: Show us your trail bike  (Read 102866 times)

ant73

Re: Show us your trail bike
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2010, 03:34:39 pm »
pics of the only bike I have at the moment.
when I first got the bike

after I got it going

at Glen Echo

at Moto X Mountain

ANT

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
This is my "newest" trail bike;

An original 1983 model XT600ZL Tenere. I bought it from my younger brother yesterday. Well, truth be known, he dropped it at my place and I have promised to pay him some money for it.

It is a bit rough, as would be any bike that has spent 27 years in the bush, but it is as original a Tenere as you are likely to find anywhere and the price was definitly right. I have started it up and taken it a quick spin around the yard, and it has several unplesant rattles coming from the top end. I hope that it is only something simple like a couple of loose tappets and maybe a stuck camchain tensioner. In a few weeks, when I get some spare time, I will be pulling the topend down to fix a minor oil leak from the cylinder gasket so I will have an oportunity to check out the condition of the engine then.

The plan is to tidy it up and do some minor (non-permenant) modifications to it and set it up as an adventure tourer.

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2010, 06:19:02 pm »
Those motors normally have a bit of top end rattle. With the tappets, the trick is to do them by feel and not with feeler gauges. Had a really nice 76 XT500 in the otherday and once the tappets were set right on that, well far out that is the quietest 500 ive ever heard, the motor was quiet as a mouse. Hadnt done much work though. 600's are also known for a bit of piston slap noise. If your gonna rebore it and stick a new piston in it, then steer well clear of anything other than standard compression. Wiseco 11:1 requires min 98 octane plus added octane booster or race fuel otherwise they really ping bad, even on road use. But with the high compression piston they do go really good though.

Also make sure all the engine/swingarm bolts are tight, especially the one on top of the motor and at the back where the swingarm goes through. If the cases crack they are not easy to find in good condition ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:28:13 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2010, 11:37:17 am »

CJ

seeing this bike reminds me of a when 5 mates and i rode from Melb to Birdsville Races on KLX650's & XT600 Terere's. a few years after the Croc Dundee thing was big worldwide we came across this Crazy Austrian riding by himself around Arkaroola area and stopped for a chat, i noticed he had a HUGE knife inside a sheath that was mounted to the triple clamps so he could access it quickly if needed. he said "Australia Very Dangerous Place"  ::)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2010, 11:45:19 am »
I remember seeing a Tenere tank hanging from a rafters at the old Penrith Motorcycle Wreckers when Brian Clarkson and Billy Unsworth ran it. I had a TT600 at the time and briefly considered buying it until Clarko quoted some obscene price for it.
It was gone not long after so the price mustn't have been as off putting to someone.

TT

« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2010, 08:54:10 am »
I've never ridden one, but they must be scary, top heavy when full of fuel.  :o
My DR is bad enough and it's tanks are set much lower.
That said, they're still a cool looking bike and the one that started all the Paris-Dakar replicas.  ;D

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 19, 2010, 09:25:28 am »
I have the 750 version and it carries 32L! while it can be a handful with a full tank that's nothing compared to wet clay or deep sand. To do 500 or 600 ks a day on it is a real test for a little guy like me and I give credit to anyone the rode them in the Dakar.
I need a cdi box for mine right now so if anyone knows of one pm me pls.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #97 on: October 19, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »

Just picked up my new Bike for vinduro and trials.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2010, 07:56:37 pm »
Cool Dave nice nick low seat hight perfect. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:03 pm »

Bought this without an engine, then bought an engine and put the two together. Then bought a parts bike to get the right ignition and the power-valve shaft that a dumb-fk mekanik broke.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 10:49:29 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »
My KTonda has had a bit of a face lift and some new suspension ideas tried out.
I'm about to get a new set of front springs and see how they go.
This bike does not feel fast as it has absolutely no power hit at all, it just flows. It's surprising just how fast it gets along.
Up here when it's 35 degrees and 90%+ humidity the last thing you want is something that will wear you down.

The older I get, the faster I was

mainline

« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:23 pm »
this is the '97 300exc that 'Ten Peg' Barsby bequeathed to me when he was sent work in the Salt Mines of WA. It's rough around the edges (and the middle) but isn't as bad as it looks (I hope ;D)

Having to babysit Nathan's latest KDX200 (I think it's the 18th one he's bought in an effort to get one running) inspired me to bring it in from under the lean-to and put it in the shed to start the tidy-up. I've been collecting parts for the last couple of months, so it shouldn't take too long. First thing is to figure out how to pull these new fangled forks apart.

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2010, 08:42:08 pm »
I reckon that will be a ripper with a bit of a tidy up.  Did you end up taking it for a ride - it goes liek a cut cat  8)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:31 pm »
Just picked this one up myself, don't know how long it will stay a trail bike but....

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »
A real legally registered CR125!. Still has the compliance plate. i would leave it as a enduro bike because you wouldnt be able to get another one easily registed like that anymore, it would be a shame to convert it back to MX. It might also be of more value to someone else as an enduro bike. Anyway your bike, your choice :)
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022