Author Topic: YZ125C fork legs  (Read 3819 times)

mainline

YZ125C fork legs
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:49:56 pm »
I've been informed this afternoon by the fork re-chroming mob that my fork legs are probably a bit too far gone, given that the main section of rust is in the tapered bit between the clamps, and they can't economically clean that up enough to do a decent re-chrome job.

So, has anyone got a usable set of upper fork tubes that they've been trying to find a home for? or is there another model that will interchange?

Cheers

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: YZ125C fork legs
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 09:25:47 pm »
YZ250/360B have the same (or very very similar) upper tubes.
MX250/360B are also very very similar.

YZ250/360A have operationally identical, visually very similar upper legs, but are a bit shorter overall (they're just missing the bit that sticks out of the top triple clamp).

Twin shock DT250/360/400 upper tubes are operationally identical, but are the same shorter length as the YZ-A items, and lack the tapered section between the triples.

Monoshock DT250/400 upper tubes are operationally identical, and are the correct length for a 125C, but lack the tapered section between the triples.

Does your rechroming place know that the narrow bit is not a seal area? Or are you just wanting to get this bike to the same high standard as your 125F and your hair?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 11:16:20 pm »
how much are they wanting for the hard chroming ? 

Got some 250 A legs that need love and wondered the same thing what else might "operationally work " until something comes up or the price goes down  :D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:19:44 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mainline

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 11:18:34 pm »
Thanks for the info Nathan, Brad looks like he might have some 125X bits that will help out. Vandy has also mentioned TT/XT forks, so there's another option to get me out of trouble.

As far as the chroming went, I'm definately aiming for a "hair" level resto ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:30:59 pm by mainline »

mainline

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
They quote $150 a leg, which is why I baulked when they said they were going to struggle getting the tapered section looking as good as the rest of it.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 02:16:50 am »
i wonder if Mr Davey Crocket can shed some light on the chroming of the tapered area?
Davey........ come in Davey.........
"flat bickie"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:12:19 am »
Mr Davey Crocket here, Iv'e used Rad hard chroming in Brisbane  a few times, their good, I'll be taking a couple of sets over next week for them to do. These forks bend bad as well, good idea to rotate them 180 degrees after a couple of meets. If it's just for a race bike then get them to cut them back on the lathe/grinder as best as without compromising the strength, if it's for a garage queen then start looking, you've got more chance of getting them in the States as most of the ones I've seen here are rusted bad as well!. You want YZ250/360B or MX250/400B as there the same but the benefit of these are you get the skinny bottom legs.It's funny how the Yamaha fork staunchions rusted bad compaired to Suzuki yet there both made by KYB (Kayaba). I think Yamaha own part or all of KYB . Honda owns Showa (a bit of useless information there). You will expect to pay between $300 to $400 for a set of second hand forks  and they will probably still need re-hard chroming. It can become quite expensive so if the old ones can be saved I'd be doing that. Cheers John. 
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

mainline

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:59 pm »
They (Rad) were pretty good about the situation, they were basically just letting me know beforehand that the base price they quote for rechroming a leg doesn't include the time and effort it takes to set the leg up in a lathe to machine the tapered section. They will clean it up and chrome it for the base price but it won't look like a factory machined finish.

And when he mentioned, like you have John, that these forks always bend at the taper, I figured it wasn't worth spending the money when I'm not after a concourse resto, and there are better performing forks available that will do the job and not look too out of place.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 10:32:58 pm »
X suspension bits = win.

Beefier, and more travel - what's not to like?

Beware the XT/TT option as the lug on the brake side is really long and needs the matching triple clamps (which space the fork legs a long way apart, and look goofy on a non-fat, non-4-stroke).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:18 am »
Hey dav ey, i took 3 sets over to PEte Hoey shop and we pulled  3 sets down, and couldnt put one back to gether, they were either bent, Too pitted to waste new seals on and the last set coulnt get the seal out without damaging the lip ( time ran out)  so what are the options ? $400 to rechrome each set seems really expensive, and if the others are operationaly similar does that mean i can use 364 series tubes etc and they will fit up to the legs and internals run, no worries ?

im looking for some povo options to get them all back to gether.

Also whats the go with the 360 carb inlet/barrel rubber mount does anything else substitue, tired a 250/360A and it was tooo big., Ideas ?

cheers freaky
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 01:24:07 am »
Give me a ring and I'll tell you guy's what to do.....0412747729..... Cheers Mr Davey Crocket. ;D

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 01:12:42 am »
Bump

on the 360A/B inlet manafold rubber ? what else fits it smaller then the MX series inlets in the bolt holes and overall width, Went to change  to a new air filter and realised it has an angle, so going back to a straight one is going to be easier than trying to stuff about with angle Filters.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 01:36:27 am by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:38:08 am »
Are both the 250/360 same inlet Diameter for the carb, JOhn ?
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 07:42:55 am »
The one looks like its from a YZ-D/E. Might even be from a 125 (I have NFI what the YZ250A's bolt pattern is).

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:14 am »
YZ250/360A and B's used the same intake manifild.... to suit 34mm carby. If you use a 38mm carb then you need the manifold off a MX250/400B or YZ250/400C. That manifold looks like a later type, the actual gasket though fits a lot of later models so theres alot to chose from ...but the problem there is the angle for the carb is wrong!..... that of course depends on the airbox. Speed and Sport have repro manifolds to suit the 38mm carb (one of there parts you dont have to get a second mortgage for..... gee there parts have got dear in the last 12 months or so!) Hope this helps.