Author Topic: The 'Firsts' of MX History.  (Read 18999 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The 'Firsts' of MX History.
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 02:07:52 pm »
world champions in 1975.

Almost (now you mention it). Both Lampkin & Everts were champs in 75 but Kenny won first in '78.

So Johnny O was right first off.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 02:13:16 pm »
If we are counting the Yanks own self proclaimed World Titles then I believe that Derrem Porter won our first, Followed by Leiskie. (not 100 % sure )
I think you're right there. I remember Derim Porter winning one in the US in the 70's.
What ever happened to him? Don't remember hearing of him riding in seniors.

Yes he came back to OZ and was riding fully DG kitted Yamaha's (his Father was oz importer) in 79 .He was upgraded quickly and lost momentum once he hit the big boys. Quite and became a pretty good tennis player (I heard)

firko

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 02:53:36 pm »
All of this minibike World Championship stuff is bullshit. It's as meaningful in the real scheme of things as the Rick Doughty promoted World Vintage Motocross Championships held earlier in the decade. A few Aussies won titles at that extravaganza including Geoff Ballard and Andy Caldecott but I doubt an FIM medal came with the complimentary t shirt and $10 open order at Vintage Iron.  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 05:56:53 pm »
Found an old sports book with a bit of info,while cleaning out the bookcase .  ;D

MX Des Nations
Winning Country
1950,1952,1953,54,56,57,59,60 Great Britain
1951 Belguim
1955,1958 Sweden

Bill Nilsson won 3 titles in  500cc Swedish MX 1954,1957 and 1959

Belgain GP 1952 Sidecars
1st ES Oliver Norton
2nd A Milani Gilera
3rd C smith Norton
Best is in the West !!

TooFastTim

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19:41 pm »

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2009, 11:08:05 pm »
first rider to do the triples at broadford

stephen gall ;) ;D
follow me to first turn

albrid-3

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 09:29:22 am »
First rider to jump a low loader semi truck  upside down at the Colac showgrounds on a Husqvarna Mag 250 in 1974 and lived to tell the tail. The ramp was a solid door.
Was David Alsop. :o
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:10:31 pm by Dot »

TooFastTim

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 10:31:47 am »
Q.  is the ISDE a world championship, which i don't think we could call it that

Yes, but for teams. Individual wins aren't but they do carry a lot of prestige.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:00 am »
First rider to jump a low loader semi truck  upside down at the Colac showgrounds on a Husqvarna Mag 250 in 1974 and lived to tell the tail.
Was David Alsop. :o

hahaha .I would have liked to see that . Ahead of your time Dave .Carey Hart was over 20 years later

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 11:17:42 am »
OK I clarify my statement a bit, and that was a s a jumnior back in the early 70's I believe Jeff liesk won a mini bike world championship.  The event I believe was held in the states, but I could be wrong.  it doesn't mean:
It was a US sactioned championship or an FIM event.  just adding to the thread, lets not lambast the career of Jeff Liesk!!

Q.  is the ISDE a world championship, which i don't think we could call it that, but we did win the Youth camiponship in that i think in 1985

Its like the Baseball World Series, the Yanks like to hold unofficial world championships. Leiskie was second in 500MX champs and may have been first but for running out of gas. The Americans could be forgiven for thinking they own the World given the ease even their B team can win the MXdNations.

Wasn't the old six days not an FIM championship but the new six days counts toward the world enduro series which is FIM championship event. In which case Shane Watts first actual FIM Enduro champ for Aussie.

formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:25 am »
Wasn't the old six days not an FIM championship but the new six days counts toward the world enduro series which is FIM championship event. In which case Shane Watts first actual FIM Enduro champ for Aussie.

The ISDE does not count towards the WEC but is a stand-alone event which produces two world champions: vase and trophy.

Wattsie won the ISDE overall which does not award a world championship title but, as I mentioned, does carry a lot of prestige. Wattsie also won a WEC. Think of the ISDE as the enduro equivalent of the MX des nations.

The ISDE was previously the ISDT and changed it's name in about '83. It was just a name change. Enduros and trials fall under the same FIM sub committee called (appropriately) the trials and enduros sub committee. This sub committee is chaired by Dave Willoughby. Essentially trials and enduros are the same sport but with different scoring criterea, observation for trials and time for enduros. The aims are the same, to travel from point to point whist incurring the least penalties.

TM BILL

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 05:41:51 pm »
And in doing so, destroyed Barry Sheene's dual supremacy and reduced him to a whining, excuse-making also-ran. Nice work Kenny ! Then went on to make it a three-peat to prove it was no fluke. Hard as nails, he'd have destroyed the psyche of today's poster boys in a bout a week.... ;)

Thats a bit harsh GD66 sure Roberts could ride a motorcycle but as a person hes not worth the steam off the late Barry Sheenes shit  >:(
I will keep my opinion of roberts to myself  but Barry was and always will be an absolute hero to me and an entire generation of fans . Barry was a real bloke with a real natural talent and a born enterupenur  :)No 7 cruley taken from us but will always live on in our hearts .

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 06:53:57 pm »
Bill was barry Sheen a pom by chance...........lol  Merry xmas to you and Val
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 06:55:57 pm »
And in doing so, destroyed Barry Sheene's dual supremacy and reduced him to a whining, excuse-making also-ran. Nice work Kenny ! Then went on to make it a three-peat to prove it was no fluke. Hard as nails, he'd have destroyed the psyche of today's poster boys in a bout a week.... ;)

Thats a bit harsh GD66 sure Roberts could ride a motorcycle but as a person hes not worth the steam off the late Barry Sheenes shit  >:(
I will keep my opinion of roberts to myself  but Barry was and always will be an absolute hero to me and an entire generation of fans . Barry was a real bloke with a real natural talent and a born enterupenur  :)No 7 cruley taken from us but will always live on in our hearts .
Too true Bill. I got to know Barry here on the coast and he was a top guy, always friendly approachable and willing to talk anytime. He was definately taken too soon.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 07:48:17 pm »
Bill was barry Sheen a pom by chance...........lol  Merry xmas to you and Val

on ya Bazza  :D
Best is in the West !!