Author Topic: The Perfect VMX Ute  (Read 10133 times)

Mark Austin

The Perfect VMX Ute
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:47 pm »
Hi lads,
I think I've found the perfect vehicle to compliment all our VMX creations.

An El Camino SS 454 ute - I want one !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWjsxUladvo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_sVe19wOW0

Cheers,
Mark.

mx250

Re: The Perfect VMX Ute
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 11:06:13 pm »
Yeah, there should be enough room in the tray for me bike and an LPG tank. ;)  ;D

Did you notice in the background of the drags; 'In and Out Burgers' - now there's honesty in advertising  :P ;D

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:51:39 am »
  Very nice!..........but compare that to what we had available here in OZ from gm in the same year....bit sad eh ???. My opinion is that any straight HQ to HZ ute with a paint job and a set of mags is just as nice ......and home grown!!!!!

Roger

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:11:03 am »
For me, you can't go past a Cf bedford (ute or van)

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 11:45:57 am »
I love those el Caminos with a passion. When I first moved to the US in 1975 I stayed for the first few weeks with the family of a mate of mines wife. The son of the family had a black '65 el Camino exactly the same as in the first video. The only difference being that Gregs had a 396 big block and Muncie rock crusher gearbox. Shit is was quick, especially for this young Aussie who's previous car had been a Valiant.I actually learned to drive LHD cars in that ute.
In 1995 I was back in the US and visiting my ex wife in Bishop, California. I was staying for a few days so her next door neighbour kindly offered to lend me his spare work car, which just happened to be for sale. It was a '71 el Camino 454 4 speed and he was selling it for a lousy $2500us. It too was a bloody rocket and the only thing that put me off it was that the metallic blue paint was trashed from being left out in the open in the summer heat and winter snow. Other than that it was rust free and pristine, had the original rallye wheels and only had 50 something thousand miles on it. I drove that car the next weekend to the Mammoth Mt motocross and slept the whole weekend comfortably in the back. I kick myself now for not buying it.
Our California friend, Tahitian Red has a big block early 70's elCamino.

oldfart

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 01:17:47 pm »
firko
      Most cars of that era became classics , my favourite ( Pic up ) was the 1959 - 1960 EL Camino pic up this was Chevrolets response to fords Ranchero  :)
348 c/i -315 bhp -top speed around 140 mph - triple rochesters two barrel carburetors ( fuel was cheap and no greenies ) four speed - :)
1961 was not a good year as sales dropped and just about saw the the EL Camino  :(
1964  was the rebirth and was baesd on a Chevelle ;D

Now if they made a 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air  pic up-  similar lines to the NOMAD WAGON  8)  Ummmmmmmm

firko

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 01:51:49 pm »
An old motocross mate of mine John D, has a '59 el Camino he imported about 20 years ago. When he got it it was metallic blue with a full purple and silver flame job and was slammed like a low rider. Not the most tasteful of vehicles.
Since then he's painted it the factory two tone red and white fitted a full repro red/white interior and upgraded the suspension with discs etc. He's fitted a 400 small block crate motor and a turbo 700 auto but sadly it's been sitting in his shed for over six years without a spanner being put to it. Business and domestic problems slowed him right down  so I've offered to buy it a couple of times but he reckons he's going to finish it soon and when he's finished it he's going to build a Triumph desert sled or a Metisse VMX bike to match the car.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 01:53:24 pm by firko »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 02:00:06 pm »
totally left field from you guys Firko but when I win the big one I gotta get me an F250 - coz its the only thing around which will fit my 7 foot wheelbase CR 250 in straight without the tail gate hangin down!!!  And on the off weekends I can pull Redwood trees out of the ground for extra dollars to pay for the fuel!!!

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Mark Austin

The Perfect VMX Ute - my Version
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 02:41:58 pm »
Hi lads,

Here is my own version of the El Camino, even down to the rear sloped cabin!

I am the second owner, it has a slightly modified 351 on LPG, and a column shift auto with a limited slip diff and rear disc brakes.
Its in at the shop having all the suspension rebuilt, to get rid of the noisy "bird's nest" in the front suspension. Anyone who has driven an old falcon will know what I meant by that.... And I am fitting some Globe Bathurst mags I found on ebay.

The reason it's missing the front GS stripe in the first photo is because I was waiting for new decals after a Siberian Husky jumped off the roof right above here, landed on the bonnet and broke the windscreen, bonnet guards etc. He then got up, barked and ran away!

Hey Firko, do you reckon he'll still accept $2500 for it - I'll send him a check  ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

Here with my personal chauffeur...

firko

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 03:24:07 pm »
Rossco, you can fit two bikes in the back of an el Camino with the gate up, but not as loosely as in an F250. Speaking of Ford bike carriers, what about my personal favourite, the 56 F100?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:38:15 pm by firko »

firko

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 04:36:24 pm »
As handy as those Jap twin cab utes are, there isn't enough bike space. Here's the old Navara and the Klub Kevlar Maicos at St Jennifers Church, Rockley back in '04 or so.

I was just going through my photos looking for a pic of my old XF ute when I found this shot of the Navara at Rockley. It shows even better how to squeeze two Maicos into a space they shouldn't be :D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 07:27:12 am by firko »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 07:58:10 pm »
I'd happily own a Navara STX turbo diesel, but they don't deserve to be called a "ute" with a tray that's so short... My old man's old 720 dual cab POS was significantly longer and more bike suitable.

Wish we'd been quick enough to get the $500 351, LPG XC project ute a few years back... But the old XF does the job well, until I get my grubby mitts on an XL Falcon ute that I know of. A HD, or HK/HT ute would also be acceptable.

Quote from My Name is Earl: "He's got an El Camino - they're like the Cadillac of automobiles".

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 08:43:34 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

YZ360A

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 08:35:14 pm »
This would be my vmx hauler.

1955 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup.

This is like the Cadilliac Esclade of trucks in 1955.
Would even look real cool with a yz360a and yz360b loaded on back.

Adam

YZ360A

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 08:50:55 pm »
This is also a Awsome VMX hauler. A 1952 Chevrolet Coupe ute only in Australia. They were built to sell as a work ute but they cost something like twice the price than a holden. They are a Aussie version of a el camino. This actually ute was built buy my old boss and I spent may a day in my aprenticeship workin on this car. It runs a Tune Port Injected 350 Corvette motor and huge rubber on the rear.
The car now resides in Ireland as a collecter over there just had to have it.

My dad has one of these we found in a bomb shelter in Harboard with 20000 miles on the clock it is mint.I used to drive it when I was on my P's great surf wagon/ride.
http://www.oneoffcars.co.uk/6_thumbnail/picpage/page1.htm#

Adam